Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help... daughter 16 & 300lbs

Dear Joyce-

I came up with your posts when I did a search on the forum for Dr. Strom... he did my lap band in January of this year. I haven't read everyone's posts, so forgive me for any repeating.

Dr. Strom's group has monthly support group meetings, and it might be a good idea for you, your husband, and your daughter to go.. lots of people who go are just considering surgery. The next one is in November - they have probably filled you in on them. I couldn't go to the one this week - perhaps you already went.

Anyway, I bring this up because you all could get a real good idea of what life is like after the band - the good and the bad - from people right there in the room. Not that there is anything wrong with info on the forum, but I think being there in person could make it more real for your husband and daughter. I didn't go to any groups meetings beforehand and I wish I had. Don't get me wrong... I do not regret getting the band at all: I have gone from 315 on 1/1/07 to 212 as of yesterday. It is a lot of hard work and a VERY serious committment, but I am proof that it surely can be done. And it is a whole lot easier than the ravaging hunger I had with "regular" diets.

I think it is great you and your daughter are pursuing something - if she had cancer you would do whatever is necessary, and at over 300lbs, it can be as medically serious. Not to be corny, but this can really be the "gift of life." You daughter is still so young and I think that helps make this is a great opportunity for her to prove to herself she can do whatever she puts her mind to... her self-image is still being formed, and think how strong and self-reliant she will be having conquered obesity... a national epidemic! And how confident she will be when she doesn't have to be a young person self-conscious about her weight?

Anyway, I will stop droning on, but good luck to you all and perhaps I will see you at a meeting!

Hello all.

When I was researching about getting lapbanding done I searched out websites with testimonials. I came across a website with a 12 year old girl that had it done. I hadn't realized that younger people had lapband surgery done but when I saw this girl and what it did for her, I thought about how it COULD benefit younger people too.Lap Band Success Stories - Before & After - Hannah I hope this attached right..if not, copy and paste

My daughter is 16 and has just told me yesterday she wants the band. I have no problem with this. It will be her father. She wants to go to the jr prom in June of 2008 has even found a dress, not her size.

Can you help me in what I could say to him to convince him this the the best thing for her. :help:

My mother who is 500+ lbs thinks she is too young.

My feeling is she should do this. Why wait till she needs meds, and continue to gain. Let's make the rest of junior and senior year better for her.

What changed her mind about the band was seeing the "Before & after pics" I think it was the one of Puddin.

Thanks

Hey Joyce,

Just found this thread and thought I'd pipe in! I didn't read through every post... I'm lazy like that!

I have been overweight since I was 6. I hit 200 pounds when I was about 11 or 12. I was 280 pounds and a size 24 my senior year of high school.

This past May I turned 30 and weighed in at 382... I was more scared than ever that I would hit the 400 pound mark and suddenly be homebound and die. I didn't want the fire department to have to cut the side of my house off to get me out in an emergency... I had no health problems though, and that was a blessing considering heart disease, high cholesterol, and diabetes runs on both sides of my family.

I started researching WLS when I was about 23 and weighed 350. I think that was right around the time that Carney Wilson had her bypass... and I totally wanted it! But I didn't have insurence. (Luckily!) THe more I learned about the band and saw the re-gain rate for bypass patients I was gald I couldn't do it.

I discovered Lap-Band a few years ago. But my insurence didn't cover it. Jan 2007 Lap Band was fully covered (Federal BCBS)... no exclusions, no silly hoops to jump through.

The day I decided for sure that I was going to do this I had been shopping and was forced to buy a size 32 pants!! I cried all the way home and called a good friend of mine and told her I had to do something. The next day I went to her house and we looked online at a few local websites and I did the 'online seminar' and got a call from the center the next day.

It only took 56 days from the day I decided to do it to the day I was banded. I've never looked back, not even for a second!

NOW... you mentioned convincing your daughters father... Lol. Of course, mind you, I'm 30 years old and have lived on my own since I was 18, but my father still doesn't know. Actually not one single family member knows! A few have noticed my weightloss (about 55 pounds right now) but I just tell them that I'm eating healthier - have cut out fast food, bread, and soda.. which is all true!

All I know is that the lap band has totally changed my life! I'm more active, I go to the gym 3-4 days a week spending 1-2 hours easily. I have more energy, feel better about myself... I WISH this procedure was available when I was 16. I wish I could have had this when I Was only 300 pounds... I say that if your daughter fully understands what all the band involves and you believe she is mature enough to handle the TOTAL life change (just just physical appearance, but exercise and all new eating habits) I think you should go for it - NO MATTER WHAT!

Oh yeah... Puddin's pics were and still are a HUGE inspiration for me! She is such a sweet and wonderful person too.

There is some studies going on that are for kids under 18 and does not cost much or anything. There have been some post here and on the Yahoo boards about kids. Maybe she can get under a national study. I think that the band is going to be just like other procedures in the furture. Maybe even to the point of no approval before hand, but that is a long way off. Have you told the Ex that you are doing the lapband and what has he said. Good Luck with everything.

Chris

Chris

Joyce.......Dr Fielding at NYU specializes in banding teenagers. He is doing a case study for the goverment as well. He has the band and has done several of us on the boards as well. If you rather have a feale surgeon his wife Dr Ren is top notch too.

Banding is much safer for teen because the food they eat still nurishes their bodies. Good luck with your decission.