Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jealous of others on here

So I am 6 weeks post. And I feel super normal. Like, according to my Dr. I should be still not able to eat much, not be able to handle carbs or sugars. But NOPE. I can eat whatever within reason... still get that full feeling and when eating too fast can overeat and get that gross pain feeling.

Anyways, I am now capping my calorie intake to 1000 because if I don't watch it, those slider foods/grazing can definitely sneak my calories higher than that.

Not that I'm complaining too much. I'm down 59lbs as of today. Which is awesome. But I am a little jealous of those who still have zero desire for food or that still have those "danger zone" foods that the stomach doesn't like. Let the mental games begin...

I can understand your frustration. I wish I was like you being able to eat. I'm a week post op and still on Clear Liquids. But my issue is I'm not hungry at all. I'm forcing myself to drink my liquids in. But today for some reason I'm not hungry and that scares me. I hope your journey gets better for you. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H901 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am the same way.. can eat anything.

But, it's a great thing because we get to learn how to exist from the very beginning.

Wait... you're six weeks out? How do you know you can handle all the carbs and sugar? Why the heck did you try them?

@jess9395 I had a bite of a cupcake from my wifes birthday. No issues. Had a 5cent candy as well. No issue. Ate a bite of Pasta salad at a wedding. No issue.

I'm testing my boundries a little because I feel 100% normal..and all I read on these forums is that I'm the abnormal one...

1 hour ago, Mersh said:

I'm testing my boundries a little because I feel 100% normal..and all I read on these forums is that I'm the abnormal one...

Be grateful that you're the one without issues. I'm glad I can eat most things at least in little amounts (apart from a few foods that I already couldn't stomach that well before surgery).

Not sure though why you're so surprised that you can handle "carbs". You're a sleeve not a bypass according to your profile. Sleeve patients rarely dump.

1 hour ago, jess9395 said:

Wait... you're six weeks out? How do you know you can handle all the carbs and sugar? Why the heck did you try them?

Curiosity? I tested my limits as well after I was converted to MGB. Knowing I could eat this or that was liberating. That doesn't mean that I do all the time.

I'm not in the mood to live in fear of certain foods. I remember times when I did and it was horrible. I know though that many users on this board have a different view on this issue. In the end everyone has to do what works for the individual.

Edited by summerset

6 hours ago, summerset said:

I'm not in the mood to live in fear of certain foods. I remember times when I did and it was horrible.

Ditto. I had read a book about, oh, 11 years ago that talked about how wonderful organic whole foods were. MSG was the devil, etc.

So I went to the grocery store and didn't know where to start. I was afraid of everything, and when I left the store I had 3 small bags of food and had spent $50 (which was a lot in those days). I get home, and there is nothing to eat! All those single ingredients, and I didn't know how to make a meal of them. Went to McDonalds for dinner.

Surgery has truly given me a reset. Since I'm not starving, I can take my time and think about what is a good thing to eat, look up a recipe, try things out. Before, I just needed to fill my belly as quickly as possible, the hunger overrode any other thought processes.

I was too afraid of dying to getting sick to really test my sleeve early on. I live alone far away from friends and family so I had surgery alone and recovered alone.

I am pretty happy that I was so afraid, because by the time I introduced other foods. I had so much success with my weight loss, I wasn't willing to risk it for food.

Just because you can tolerate foods, doesn't mean you should try them. You really need to get handle on your cravings because by the time you are 6 months you will be able to eat larger amounts of the foods you shouldn't be eating.

At the 2 year mark I could easily eat 3-4000 calories a day if all I did was sit in the house and munch all day. Large pizza, family size bag of chips, unlimited Cookies. All of that. In a day if all I did was eating. Nothing is going to stop you from eating bad foods but you.

@OutsideMatchInside I'm glad you found success. For me I need to know my boundaries. Not just with food, but with so much of life. So I unapologetically do so. And I am stubborn enough (to the point of getting in a knife fight with my surgeon) to loose this weight. So I'm not worried.

Not that you need to know my story, but my wife and I are wanting to start a family and this is for her and the future niños. So my motivation is clear.

Edited by Mersh

I'm a little jealous of you! I'm two weeks post op today and every meal feels like a challenge. Not a matter of if I'm going to have discomfort but how much. Same thing with Protein Drinks. I have been getting better slowly, but I sure wish I felt more "normal". I feel like I haven't been able to be really confident and happy about my decision yet, even though I'm down 25 so far.

Edited by bschmidt25

@bschmidt25 Trust me. That will pass quicker than you'll realize. I can now drink normal again. The whole sipping Water also was lost on me pretty early on. I still struggle to get enough water, largely because I dont carry a bottle with me everywhere I go, which I probably should.

Right now my day usually consists food wise.

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with a little salsa

11am snack - Protein Shake (45-55g of protein) that I nurse into the afternoon.

lunch - some deli meat and some cheese or a puree Soup

Afternoon snack - pepporoni stick or a sf Jello (or two)

Supper - 1/2 canned chicken with light mayo and buffalo sauce

Night snack - handful of Whisps or nuts or sf pudding.

My crutch is the late night need to crunch. Thats a habit I'm working on breaking. Rice cakes and gum are my work around. But I think I might need to go cold turkey all together. The mental game is far harder than the physical.

I'm getting around 90g of Protein per day but want to up that eventually when I move into full solids in a week or two. My water intake is currently around 1.5-2 liters. (50-70 oz)

I chose each meal wisely. But at 2 1/2 mos out I can tolerate anything I've tried. Saturday we went kayaking and I are one bite of my mom's peach cobbler. That was enough to make me happy and then ate my Protein. I agree that I want to be able to eat "bad stuff" on occasion and within a reasonable amount. I will not allow myself to go crazy.

13 hours ago, summerset said:

I'm not in the mood to live in fear of certain foods. I remember times when I did and it was horrible. I know though that many users on this board have a different view on this issue. In the end everyone has to do what works for the individual.

Same way here. Diet? What diet? My life isn't revolving around what I can or cannot have anymore or counting, macro and micro this or that. I eat when hungry, drink when thirsty. If I want a darn chip, I'll have a darn chip. I know my limits too. Much happier for me. I also don't crave those simple things much either given that I eat mostly veggies and grains. So, it's all good. 😊

Don't forget your friends the gut bugs. There are more of them in us than us in us. They cause cravings. The ones who live off sugars (carbs) will beg you so bad for more carbs that it's impossible to resist them.

Our secret weapon? Our diets! Filling up on Proteins, fats, and veggies and good starches (like root vegetables) will fill our gut biome with bacteria who thrive on those things. And the sugar craving bugs will die out!

I actually changed my biome like this before surgery and lost my sweet tooth.... but didn't lose weight because I couldn't control my portions. But it really works, giving us another reason to limit carbs and sweets.