Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym or no gym, that is the question

I'm late but we have had this thread over and over...

Weight loss is almost entirely controlling your food calories. You can erase the calories burned working out for hours in a couple minutes with a bad food choice.

Exercise is great for overall health and fitness. Exercise is great for mental health and physical fitness.

Everyone should be walking. Walking is easy and low stress. Making sure you walk at least 2 miles a day is an easy way to achieve a decent level of physical fitness. Walking outside in a real environment is better and uses more muscles than walking on a treadmill.

You have to know yourself to know if exercise is right for you. When I workout with intense cardio like Zumba (which I love), it triggers stress in my body and my body holds on to fat. It also increases my appetite. So Zumba, even though I like it, isn't worth it for me. I am better off walking 5 miles on a trail. I can lift weights, no stress triggers, no appetite increase, so weight lifting is fine. Intense cardio is just counter productive for me.

I read this book several years ago, and then read it after surgery. Pre-op I found the diet choices for my blood type too hard to follow. While I could follow them not, the Protein choices are too limited to work for me right now. What I did confirm was what I always thought before, intense exercise is not good for people with my blood type.

http://a.co/8aMnFVC

I feel like Dr V advice is dead on. I think that waiting to go hard on exercise at 6 months (you should be walking every day from day 1 of surgery), is the best advice. You can eat enough calories to actually support working out. You can drink Water fast enough to replenish yourself and not risk dehydration at 6 months. You are healed enough with a daily calorie intake high enough that you can actually get something out of working out. Prior to 6 months, yoga and walking are great to get you ready.

I lost all my weight with just walking every day and controlling my diet. I do weights some times, I go to yoga semi-regularly, and I randomly go to crossfit to troll for men. I lost the bulk of my weight in year one just with walking, eating lots of protein and not eating carbs.

One of the best things you can do to really be successful post-op is to really know yourself, your strengths and you limitations. It allows you to make better choices and know what to avoid.

So are you, seriously.

It'll be interesting to see if we keep following each other.

I take nothing for granted though, it can slow down or stop at any moment.

I just did that test that Barry78 posted according to it I am 4#'s below my goal weight. I like that. I can not remember a time when I was under weight. LOL Granted it is only 4#'s but I will take it.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:10 PM, shedo82773 said:

My Surgeon pushed the exercise but he told me to find something I liked to do. Well, I am a person that as I call it: B888s to the wall or nothing!! I started walking as soon as I was released. Well before if you count the walking the halls I did. I started out slow. I also got to my goal weight in 6 months actually I went below. I have gained 10#'s back but 7 of them was the loss to 117#'s. Now I weigh 125 to 127. am I happy about the 10 pound gain? NOT but that is something I will work on. I now walk 3 to 4 miles 3 to 4 times a week. I really feel like exercise is my saving grace. I didn't eat bread, rice, corn etc until Around the last year and a half. Mainly because I couldn't handle so many foods due to having Strictures. That really held back the foods that I could eat!! I almost lived on oatmeal, cheese, crackers and CHEETOS. All known by my DR. He was getting concerned when I kept losing and couldn't eat. I am now 4 years out and just now I can tolerate a steak!! YAY me but it defintly needs to be above tender!! BTW I am 5.4 and my starting weight was 249#'s. Before I had lost done from 285 to the 249. But if you ask me if I would do this again? My anwser would be YES with EVERYTHING inside of me!!!

Hey, small world. I went to dr Tersigni on July 15th, 2013 (band to sleeve revision). I now live in Ca so I miss seeing he and Robin. I liked him very much. Where in Or do u live? I used to live in Medford.

Another Dr Tersigni patient...

Marci Cornwall

And I can't figure out how to change my signature. I now weigh 154 and have 14 lbs to goa;....

My fiancée just bought us a barely used BowFlex! I had been thinking of joining a gym, but with my walking, our home gym equipment including Pilates Reformer & Yoga, teaching H20 aerobics M-F, the addition of the BowFlex is perfect! I have my big 3 mos weigh-in next week & I feel pretty proud of what I've been able to accomplish w exercise & weightloss. I found a therapist who was recommended by my surgeon's office & am looking forward to this appointment. The hardest thing for me is that I'm both a recovering overachiever & perfectionist: so I need the daily/hourly positive reinforcement of self-talk & affirmations from prayers/meditations I take time to do 2x's daily. Being a gifted psychic one might think I know God wants us all to love & cherish our bodies & not judge ourselves (or others) so we don't break down due to illnesses caused from being overweight, not able to exercise, etc. ; however, translating that after having 23 surgeries since Jan. 2001, left me depressed, anxious, etc. because I judged myself on the before me who was a competing multisport athlete. I'm most proud of the facts that I don't rely upon all the diabetes, high cholesterol, high BP & acid reflux Rx's post-op. I want to fly, but know I must walk first & that means making my health my priority just like many of you have/are also doing. It feels so awesome to have lost the equivalent of two turkeys & to exercise daily. I so appreciate all who've been posting here, bc I'm learning so much from you all. Thank you & God bless on your continued successes.

14 hours ago, marfar7 said:

Hey, small world. I went to dr Tersigni on July 15th, 2013 (band to sleeve revision). I now live in Ca so I miss seeing he and Robin. I liked him very much. Where in Or do u live? I used to live in Medford.

Another Dr Tersigni patient...

Marci Cornwall

And I can't figure out how to change my signature. I now weigh 154 and have 14 lbs to goa;....

d

5 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

Hi, I just typed a whole paragraph and lost it. BOMB gone. So here I go again. I had my RNY July 2, 2013. I lost my weight in 6 months (I weigh between 125-130) I have maintained my loss for 3 and 1/2 years. Because I had a few problems with Strictures and my hubby's failed revision from his Lap Band to a RNY. Which he almost died. He developed abscesses. He was so sick for 9 months and 3 of them he doesn't remember. So Tersigni called us "PROBLEM KIDS"! He actually dropped my hubby wouldn't see him. We are so thankful that our PCP pulled in a favor with a Surgeon here in Roseburg. He put in a wound vac and he immediately started getting better. The whole ordeal was awful. I now go to OREGON SCIENCE AND HEALTH UNIVERSITY. For everything. My hubby finally a year ago this June went to Juarez, Mexico. He ended up getting a Sleeve. But his heart and mine really wish he could have had his RNY. The weight is coming off so much slower than mine did. But...at least he lost enough to have his (kidney cancer) procedure done. Life is great!! BTW I live in Roseburg, Oregon. Which isn't but 90 miles from l us. How do you like living in California? We lived there for awhile (Ukiah) but...Oregon is just our home. It is exciting to meet someone that also had the same DR. Plus our journey has been real close. I had mine in July 2013 and yours was July 2013 also. Yes, this is a very small world. I would love to keep in touch with you. I will give you my email ifyou are interested just let me know. Have a wonderful day!!

Somewhere between 4 & 6 weeks usually. Ask your doc.

Know, though, that exercise doesn't do anything for flabby skin. It can fill up the space to a small extent with muscle, but exercise works muscles not skin.

Again, this is different for everyone. I have been weight training for at least 4 months and I can tell you that my flabby skin has gone down quite a bit. It really does depend on your DNA, your BMI, starting weight, etc.

I also moisturizer my skin a few times a day to give me more elasticity. Everything helps. And weight training certainly doesn't hurt. Well...not much anyway. [emoji2][emoji854]

Again, this is different for everyone. I have been weight training for at least 4 months and I can tell you that my flabby skin has gone down quite a bit. It really does depend on your DNA, your BMI, starting weight, etc.

I also moisturizer my skin a few times a day to give me more elasticity. Everything helps. And weight training certainly doesn't hurt. Well...not much anyway. [emoji2][emoji854]

Your skin went down due to your age, genetics, starting weight, number of times you went up and down the scale, ethnicity, etc. some people do quite well. But exercise doesn't affect the skin, no matter how many weights you lift or how much muscle you build. It may fill it up but won't impact the skin at all. science.

I like Dr Vuong's advice. Dr Weiner has a similar philosophy. if you like the gym go. work out if it is what you want to do, if you enjoy it. not to lose weight. If you find yourself stalling know that it may be that you aren't getting enough calories for your activity level. I was striving to be at 800 calories by 2 months, 900 by 3. I could not have worked out on those calories. Now I'm at 1250-1450. i fell like i can now start strength training.

I hit a normal bmi at around 9 months with no gym...but i'm active naturally. I get in 10,000 steps a day. I like to kayak, bike ride. Now I am toying with the idea of strength training (something I can do at home).

Ya'll had me straight up worried when I read the initial post. Because I do exercise, nothing serious because of my upper back issues but it is a goal to be able to up my exercise as my weight decreases. That is if my back feels better as my weight goes down (I carry a lot of my weight in my upper body, arms, back, belly). I do Water aerobics three times a week. I am pretty faithful about going unless work gets in the way. I can do the recumbent bike with less stress on my back than walking. Plus I see my physical therapist twice a week at a 1.5 hours at a pop and they are going to still see me through my weight loss surgery and have me do whatever I can do. Right now I do a lot of ab work to strengthen pelvic floor muscles and help with back pain. I obviously won't be able to do the ab work for awhile after surgery.

Number one, for me exercise is important for mental health. It is a good pick me up. I can't do my job without being awake and present with people. Exercise helps me with that.

So I really hope that exercise does not impede my weight loss.

Plus the saggy skin part - there is nothing that can be done about my arms. Like no matter how many exercises I do, my arms are going to be saggy as I lose weight. I do hope that exercise helps fill some of that out, though. I swear there are muscles under that fat, somewhere. lol

I strongly believe that exercise does not impede fat loss.. although it may make you hold onto Fluid, therefore impeding scale losses. But when you take a break from daily exercise, then you'll let the Water go, and "magically" the scale moves again. This makes it seem like exercise was a problem.

I have worked out (free weights and cardio) 4-6 times per week for at least 3 or 4 years straight with very few exceptions (vacations). I find that working out does definitely increase appetite. However, if you are consuming enough calories, you will continue to lose weight. The original question was about exercising the first 6 months after surgery. I am only 2 weeks post op, and consume between 5-650 calories per day. Walking is fine, but that is just not enough yet to do a serious workout. It isn't a matter of having a stall, it is a matter of passing out that I am worried about. Plus, I don't want an increased appetite to cause me to eat more than my body is ready for at this time. We can workout for the remainder of our lives. Right now, it should really be about healing and listening to our bodies. If you feel that you can sustain a 700 calorie burn workout day after day on just 800 calories, go ahead. I think most doctors would advise against it though.

There are plenty of doctors who would be fine with it (mine is) but definitely check!

I started running several days a week at four weeks out and worked up to my first half marathon at 10 months post op on 600-900 calories per day with no appetite increase. I was also doing 3-5 hours of vinyasa flow yoga.

So just depends. People are different. Give it a try and see what works for you. If it doesn't, give it up. But think how awesome it would be it it did!

On 8/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, AZBlackhawk said:

I have been going to the gym a couple of times a week. I'm 5 weeks post RNY. My surgeon gave the green light after 2 weeks (no weights or core exercises) so I've been doing elliptical, huge stair stepper thing, and walking or jogging.

I just watched Dr V.'s video on Why You Should Not go to a gym after WLS. He is taking about the period after surgery for about 6 months. it actually makes sense and he says surgeons and their teams who tell us to go to the gym and workout are wrong.

Dr. V. says it leads to hunger & weight loss stalls, among other things, since we cannot consume enough calories.

So- are you exercising? What are you doing and when did you start?

not sure if I should save money and forego the gym for a while and just go walking around my neighborhood. Thoughts??

While excersise is good for health reason's. I don't go to the gym. I see people in the gym 6 days a week not really getting the results I'm getting perhaps they are building muscle. But for now I'm happy with the rate I'm losing I'm more active in my own way and every now and again do some home dancing lol. When I'm further down and need to mix things up if things stop working then we will see. But for now what I'm doing is working. Some people dont seem to lose unless they gym too so it depends on your body