Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, I had DS surgery 6/10/17 and am having a heck of a time consuming enough Protein. I’m to the point that Protein Shakes make me gag but I force at least one down a day. Does anyone have a sample menu to get all required protein in without going crazy over the calorie/carbohydrate/sugar/fat limitations? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

@donnainsd Hi,

Here's the meal plan my DS surgeons and nutri. provided. Honestly, though, I needed to drink a shake for the first 2 years (nearly everyday). I couldn't eat enough Protein until then. The rule of thumb is 30 gr/30 days, 60 gr/60 days, 90 gr/90days. I couldn't eat nearly that amount (YMMV); that's why I needed to keep up the shakes. Not sure which shakes you're using. I used premade (only) Mylopex and Muscle Milk, I didn't love them but I got them down like you.

DS 7 Day Menu Plan 3 weeks+.jpg

Edited by Postop

Hi Postop,

Thank you so much for the sample menu I appreciate it! I also use the premade Protein Drinks either Muscle Milk or Premier Protein, knowing that this will probably end up being a long term thing maybe I'll mix it up a little and try a different brand. Thanks again, have a great day!

@donnainsd Remember it won't be forever. I eat a ton and have for years. Haven't touched a shake in 10 years!

I would also highly suggest the Fairlife milk - it has only one gram of Protein less than the Atkins Protein Shakes. I'm only 2 weeks out but it's been a godsend to get me enough protein because I was having the exact same trouble as you with the protein shakes.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely try it!

Has anyone been told by their doctor's office to leave out fruit from their diet as a DS patient? I'm craving fruit and have no problems digesting it (watermelon, honeydew, cherry plums, cantaloupe), but at my appt yesterday, his aide said to leave it out because it's high in carbs. I'm losing, on average, two pounds a week. Thanks for the ideas about ways to keep the Protein up. This thread has been helpful t me as well. I had my surgery on 6/9/17. I just noticed my ticker shows I have 209 pounds to lose.....I only weigh 209, so.....

Edited by Strivingforbetter

@Strivingforbetter I was just told to stay away from grapes/raisins as they're pretty much sugar.

I eat 1 piece of fruit a day. Usually, a banana before bed. Sometimes an apple or peach. But I can't always finish it.

Did you ask if it was a permanent ban or just during this high losing phase?

On 8/1/2017 at 1:55 PM, Postop said:

@Strivingforbetter I was just told to stay away from grapes/raisins as they're pretty much sugar.

I eat 1 piece of fruit a day. Usually, a banana before bed. Sometimes an apple or peach. But I can't always finish it.

Did you ask if it was a permanent ban or just during this high losing phase?

They said it was just through the weight loss phase, and once I reach goal I could add them in. I know many people are losing 3-4 pounds a week, so I guess if I want to lose quicker I need to eliminate the fruit. However, if you've included them in your plan and you've lost over 100 pounds, it seems to be ok to include them in moderation. Jess13, thanks for responding. That's good feedback.

On 7/26/2017 at 5:24 PM, donnainsd said:

Hi Postop,

Thank you so much for the sample menu I appreciate it! I also use the premade Protein Drinks either Muscle Milk or Premier Protein, knowing that this will probably end up being a long term thing maybe I'll mix it up a little and try a different brand. Thanks again, have a great day!

Be careful w/ the Muscle Milk, it has a ton of sugar and isn't one of the suggested Protein drinks. You want to stay away from fruits that are heavy in carbs/sugar (banana) and if you eat fruit, eat it very early in the day. Also, make sure it is a fruit w/ a high Water content. That way, it will go towards your drink count for the day. I made the mistake of eating fruit as a snack before bed, and that was the reason I stalled at one point. The sugar and carbs, did me in. In that sample menu, I see a lot of breads, that's not the best idea either. I'd suggest, you take that menu and go over it w/ your surgeon. I'm a year and a half out, and I don't even eat a lot of the foods on that list.

2 hours ago, Strivingforbetter said:

They said it was just through the weight loss phase, and once I reach goal I could add them in. I know many people are losing 3-4 pounds a week, so I guess if I want to lose quicker I need to eliminate the fruit. However, if you've included them in your plan and you've lost over 100 pounds, it seems to be ok to include them in moderation. Jess13, thanks for responding. That's good feedback.

Try once a week if you're really dying for it. But consider waiting like they suggested. You don't want to do anything to slow your weight loss during the first 18 months. That's your key losing window. I was very careful during that window to ensure I got the most weight off I could.

Edited by Postop

5 hours ago, Postop said:

Try once a week if you're really dying for it. But consider waiting like they suggested. You don't want to do anything to slow your weight loss during the first 18 months. That's your key losing window. I was very careful during that window to ensure I got the most weight off I could.

Good advice. Could you explain a little more about the losing window? How long is it? A year? Two years?

29 minutes ago, Strivingforbetter said:

Good advice. Could you explain a little more about the losing window? How long is it? A year? Two years?

@Strivingforbetter Sure. For DSers it's thought to be about 18 months as it's such a powerful surgery. I was very careful and lost the bulk of my weight by about 13 months. I followed the guidelines to a "t" to really max it out. Then I lost more over the next few months.

The beauty of the DS is sometimes years later you can just start losing for no real reason. Or if you went to take off a few you just eat more Protein and drink more fluids.

Edited by Postop