Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op, put potato chips in my mouth then spit out, same with peanuts, and some cheddar chip.

Has anyone done this? How will it harm the sleeve, if at all? Just got overwhelmed! Do the carbs , salt, enter stomach, if I spit it back out??

Thanks for advice!!

This is not a good thing to do. It's a sign of a deeper issue, so I've been told. Stick to the plan. Try something savory that's on your diet. Are you in Clear Liquids still or full liquids or even soft foods- by then my plan allowed for soft foods like scrambled eggs or cottage cheese. Maybe try some broth with spices. Find a good substitute for what you are craving. At this point it's probably head hunger. You are just missing food.< br>I say this with a all of my 5 week experience (lol) but also with experience with my husband who had RNY 11 years ago. He struggled with his plan and went in to eat he wrong things and ended up having slot of throwing up spells. He lost the weight but it hasn't been a fun journey.
If you are really struggling you should find a good counselor to help you figure out what your issues with food are. My dad would make dinner a nightmare I can still feel the lump in it throat - clear that plate. It was a long time before o could leave any food on my plate. I created kids who won't try anything new because I couldn't do that to them. They have awful eating habits because they hate vegetables and I couldn't make them try them more than once.
Anyway... tmi- you gained the weight probably from an unhealthy relationship with food that was either physical or psychological or both and should figure out out why if you haven't already.
I hope that helps.ill be praying!

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 198 GW 135

Yeah, that's just practicing an eating disorder. Really bad idea. As for "harm", chewing triggers the release of digestive juices which in turn increases the acid levels in your newly sleeved stomach. It could slow the healing process or just cause heartburn. But the more important issue really is the formation of an eating disorder and negative habit.

I agree that it is a distressing sign. With two week pre op liquids, 2 weeks post op plus puree and soft foods i had 8 weeks of pretty boring limited options.
I recall dreaming of pizza and bacon. When I talked to nurse she said I was probably needing some salt . The items you were putting in your mouth are all salty.
So, look for some broth with salt. Or add some salt to your low sodium broth.
If you find yourself facing this again, call your NUT and DR to get some help.
Allow your body to heal. Take one day at a time...it isn't that you will never have chips again...it is that you are choosing not to have them today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

All of the responses on this thread are very good. I'm new to all of this and am using this workbook. Thought I'd share incase interested. Good luck Pinky!

https://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Surgery-Coping-Companion/dp/1508526087/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501084012&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=coping+bariatric+workbook

Playing the chew-and-spit game with crappy junk food at 1 week post-op won't harm your sleeve, but this behavior is indicative of someone who is traveling down a treacherously slippery slope.

I'm going to say it because I'm not one who candy-coats or offers false reassurances of everything being 'alright,' but I predict that, without professional help to nip this concerning behavior in the bud, the original poster will start regaining weight several years from now.

Still, I'll be hoping for the best.

Pinky - please keep the goodies out of the house. It helps. Best to you.
I'm going to order the book on dealing with emotions for myself. I've always had anxiety problems.
I was sleeved 9/21/16 240 now 165 - 5 pounds from my goal

Sent from my SM-T550 using BariatricPal mobile app