Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved Yesterday 7/19 - having trouble!!

1 hour ago, Kyle Lukas said:

i have improved since yesterday. I did have another emotional bought today which I didn't see as good but I progressed through and channeled my focus towards bettering myself

Hi Kyle,

I can tell me you that for the first three or four days after surgery I was not myself. Emotionally I was in tears for no real reason. I know surgery is hard on your body and I was okay with any pain that would happen, but it was the emotional things that I was not prepared for. A few weeks out and back to work, I feel so much better. I have gotten back to my routine schedule and have started to feel normal. Hang in there! You've got this!

Katie

Maybe you would fee better if you just stuck to a liquid diet for the first two weeks and ease into things i know different surgeons have different diets to follow but I had surgery the same day as you and I am feeling great I have to mentally stop myself from doing things I know I shouldn't be right now that's the part I'm struggling with like i hate sitting around the house and not being able to just deep clean everything haha... but I am just barley starting my full liquid diet tomorrow I have been on Clear Liquids Since surgery, which I do have a small lack of energy but taking small breaks more often helps with that! I don't start eating puréed food until aug 2!

It takes liquid to digest Protein. 2 days postop we need to be working on our liquid goals. Protein is so filling that it might keep us from getting in the fluids. The first week out of surgery, dehydration is a much bigger concern than malnutrition. Either get your fluids up to 40-70oz, then bring in protein shakes/purees, or eat a little, then drink, eat a little, then drink. Milk and broth count as both protein and Fluid since they have relatively little protein to the amount of fluid. (A Protein Shake has about 16g protein to 8oz. Milk and Bone Broth have 8g protein to 8oz). I guess you could Water down your protein shake as well...

The same applies to pureed tuna and the like. For every 1oz of tuna (about 6g protein), drink 6-8oz of fluids. (So if you ate 2 cans of tuna in a day, that's about 8oz of fish, to drinking 48- 64oz of fluids..).

You don't need to drink as much when consuming carbohydrates, because when carbo-HYDRATES are broken down in the gut, they release some water. BUT, early on we need to consume a minimum amount of protein and there isn't room in our tummies for carbs, so it's a moot point anyway.

I'm about 7 weeks post op. I was kept for 2 days. I do agree that we tend to be discharged too early.

As for the discomfort, I was taking Norco for about a week and a half. The first week was very uncomfortable. Did I say very? VERY... But it got better.

By week 3-4 I had alot more energy and was walking in the park and by week 5, I started going to the gym.

HW: 265

SW: 250

CW: 215

The first week was rough for me but the first 2 days were awful. I was in the hospital for 3 days/2 nights so thankfully I was in the hospital for the worst of it and I had the nurses at hands reach. Once I got home I started feeling better by the end of the first week.

Don't fret! IT DOES GET BETTER. Today I'm am 6 days post-op 7/19. I feel great. I have tons of energy and can drink my liquids easily. I do have lots of gas in my stomach after taking pills and drinking and take CVS branded gas pills which work like a charm. I do feel the shoulder pains every now and then. Totally bearable. I was give Oxycototin 5mg- 10 mg every 4 hours. I did use it for a few days especially at night when sleeping as I can't sleep on my back. I used a pillow to support my stomach.

I had a 2 1/2 day stay at the hospital. I remember people telling me to walk as much as possible so when they said walk every 4 hours, I was walking for every 2 hours up and down the hospital corridors. The gas pain was unbearable the first night. I was totally scared I made the wrong decision. But they gave me gas pills which brought the gas down.

I drink 3 pure Protein Shakes, 2-16oz crystal lights and 2- 6oz containers of homemade delicious Bone Broth (thanks to my bff) 2-3oz of Trader Joe's Blueberry Kifer a day. It goes down very easy which freaks me out when I read all these post about people having problems. Next week I will start soft food and hope it all goes the same.

I did have the cold sweats off and on for few days, and my feet tingle a bit. I have had numbness in my feet from diabetic nerve damage but I think I can feel more in my feet.

Other than that things are great! I wish the best for us all.

I am on day 3 after the sleeve. Day 2 was pretty tough with spasms when drinking, but after some meds it settled down. Still feel tight and uncomfortable, but today was a lot better than yesterday, and I hope tomorrow will be better still.

I had a "hot sweat" yesterday when I had my first bit of yoghurt.. I think I had just drank before, or possibly after, so that's why. Wasn't pleasant, and wont be making that mistake again. 30min!

Hope everyone else is going well and getting better!

I am on day 3 after the sleeve. Day 2 was pretty tough with spasms when drinking, but after some meds it settled down. Still feel tight and uncomfortable, but today was a lot better than yesterday, and I hope tomorrow will be better still.
I had a "hot sweat" yesterday when I had my first bit of yoghurt.. I think I had just drank before, or possibly after, so that's why. Wasn't pleasant, and wont be making that mistake again. 30min!
Hope everyone else is going well and getting better!

I'm on day 7 and our stories and experiences sound similar. I too had hot sweats and very uncomfortable feeling. When I ate yogurt it seemed too heavy for my pouch and caused diarrhea. I have to stick to broth and warm tea. I even made pudding but I didn't react well to the milk. Some days I'm so tired, but I'm hoping tomorrow is better and want to get out of the house. Keep being positive. We can do this.

My issues have gotten worse. If its not one thing its another. I am just getting extremely frustrated.

I have a severe gas pocket trapped for about 4 days now. I went for my check up and she tried to push in the area and I literally started to cry on the table, it was insane.

Last night I developed a 101.2 fever and couldn't consumer food for the last two days.

My primary care physician is bringing me in to get an IV because I am getting a lot of dehydrated symptoms. I am beating the 64 ounces of Water a day too.

I am at the point that this was overall NOT worth the surgery.......beyond frustrated.....

That fever concerns me. Please talk to your surgeon about getting more evaluations to make sure everything is ok. Once you know that things are fine, and you're just having a bit of a rough start, then you can relax and just ride it out until you heal and feel better. The emotions DO run high postop, and so that part of your recovery is perfectly normal.

{Hugs} Good luck!

So SECOND stint in the hospital. I went to the ER at 10am where the surgeons are located, started running all blood, urine and CT scan.

long story short I had a large access in my abdomen that had to be drained and be put on antibiotics. So the pain was awful for the procedure. Like really bad. They drained about a soda can worth of nasty puss Fluid. I now have a permanent drain I need to keep in for another week and keep tabs on how many CC's I'm throwing out every time I have to empty the drain. **** smells terrible!!

so I'm in the hospital till Sunday then go home with the drain for another week after that.

I am beyond frustrated and jacked up on delauden because of the pain.

I'm at the point where this surgery was NOT worth it......

I am so sorry for your complication. I was told that for 95% of patents surgery is VERY worth it but for the very few with one of the two big complications, it isn't. We all hope like hell not to be the one with the complications. I'm sorry.

i am one week plus two days out, what is that, day 9? I have had no serious pain or nausea, though I stayed on my liquid oxy for two days post surgery. I've been weak, and sipping fluids has been difficult, but I've slept very well, and have started getting enough Protein daily. Today I spent the whole day on the go (helping my son look for his first apartment) so I'm pretty tired. I plan to rest all weekend.

I want people to know it's been a calm and not unpleasant recovery for me the first week. I've slept on my side with my body pillow since night 4. I haven t been really hungry like we felt on the pre op. But when I'm really weak I'm learning I need more Protein Powder. So I sip it a lot. It's like a new hungry.

i helped my dehydration by paying for a Vitamin IV and I'll do it each week.

i wish no one had to have any surgical complications!

Hope you feel better soon Kyle. You have had a really tough time. We are here for you. Let us know how you get along.

I'm so happy you went in and found out what was wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will take care of things, and it'll all be downhill from here.

Feeling that "it wasn't worth it" is normal, especially when there are complications.. just try not to dwell on the negativity. Try and take everything one day at a time, and look for positives. The healing will go by faster, and hopefully when you get all healed up, you'll start feeling differently. At the moment, you have a lot of work to do. Count your fluids and Protein, make sure you're up walking, and now taking care of your drain.

My MIL had 2 drains that stayed in for 6 weeks after a Tummy Tuck. A week after the surgery she had pus start coming into her drain tubes. I live with her, so it was my job to empty those things, and rush her to the ER when we saw the pus (against the advice of the home health nurses.. they wanted us to just wait until the next day). (Turns out I saved her life that night since she was going septic). So I do know a bit about what you are going through.

Now that you're on some good antibiotics, you're gonna do just fine. Just keep a tab on how you're feeling, and things should keep getting a bit better each day. If you start feeling worse.. be sure not to ignore it.

{Hugs}