Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fiber and Digestion

I'm three weeks post op and from the beginning I've had the unenviable problem of, well, I'm just going to be up front about it---regularity. I hadn't done my "business" in over a week after surgery so I called the doctor, who advised me to take a dose of Milk of Magnesia. That worked wonderfully (if that experience could ever be called that) for that day. However, I was back to my regularity problem. So Sunday (I'm going to call it Black Sunday from now on) I took another dose of M.O.M. Childbirth was easier than this experience. I have never felt such horrible pain in my entire life. I screamed enough to wake the dead and then some. I won't nauseate you with how the situation was rectified, so to speak; suffice to say this was a very humbling experience.

So my question to you is, if my doctor says that I shouldn't waste my calories on vegetables and instead should focus on Protein, how are you all getting the Fiber in your diet to keep you regular? I really don't want to go through that experience, ever, ever, ever again.

:help::help::help:

I am having the same problem-any input from other bandsters would be helpful-my doc had the same instructions and it is just not working!

I am not having this problem, but I wonder if you could take a Fiber supplement like Metamucil? I would ask your doctor if this is possible. I was thinking about asking mine just simply because I was told to take it with my pre-op diet because it makes you feel full, so I could use that full feeling now. Good luck!

I'm three weeks post op and from the beginning I've had the unenviable problem of, well, I'm just going to be up front about it---regularity. I hadn't done my "business" in over a week after surgery so I called the doctor, who advised me to take a dose of Milk of Magnesia. That worked wonderfully (if that experience could ever be called that) for that day. However, I was back to my regularity problem. So Sunday (I'm going to call it Black Sunday from now on) I took another dose of M.O.M. Childbirth was easier than this experience. I have never felt such horrible pain in my entire life. I screamed enough to wake the dead and then some. I won't nauseate you with how the situation was rectified, so to speak; suffice to say this was a very humbling experience.

So my question to you is, if my doctor says that I shouldn't waste my calories on vegetables and instead should focus on Protein, how are you all getting the fiber in your diet to keep you regular? I really don't want to go through that experience, ever, ever, ever again.

:help::help::help:

Hi:

I was having a similar problem. I recently tried the new "Activia" yogurt. It helped alot.

You might want to try this.

Good luck!

Sue Magoo

H-324/S-287/C-253/G-160

Banded 7/26/07

i might try the activia the only problem is yogurt is so sweet tasting to me I can hardly get it down and I do take fibersure.. I think it is just the body in transition. now that I can eat anything I am trying to incorporate more veggies in my diet- not sure how that will work when I get a fill.

Well I'm in the minority but I disagree vehemently with focussing on Protein to the exclusion of vegetables and grains. I absolutely think it is wrong.

But I know that that's what you are told in the US and I would never tell someone to not follow their doctors orders.

But I personally follow a high fibre, high carb diet - carbs as in good low GI wholegrain carbs, not sugary crap. I eat Protein, of course, I probably manage 50g most days, not that I count. I base most of my meals around a protein source, supplemented with grains and fruit or veg. So lunch might be half a tuna and salad sandwich on wholegrain bread. Maybe a piece of fruit in the afternoon. Breakfast is normally a grain food like muesli, dinner usually contains no carbs, just protein and vegetables.

I cannot comment on what protein actually does in terms of preserving lean body tissue, but I do know its not irrefutable scientific fact yet.

I can also tell you that I have all my hair, have lost all my weight and have not turned into a blob with no muscle, I have way more lean body mass than I did 12 years ago when I last weighed 73kg. I look entirely different and much better. So you do not need to eat 80 grams of protein a day to lose your body fat.

personally, I think most lap band doctors are surgeons first and foremost and subject to the same biases, misinformation and fads about food as most people are.

I worry greatly for the bowels of the great lap banded public, lol. I do not think people with bands by and large eat anywhere near enough fruit and veg for their cancer prevention, general health and bowel health properties. I think protein first is a great way to lose your teeth and get bowel cancer.

Boy oh boy, I'll get flamed for that, lol! I truly respect everyone's decision and right to do what they think is best though, just my 2c - and I never get constipated.

Well I'm in the minority but I disagree vehemently with focussing on Protein to the exclusion of vegetables and grains. I absolutely think it is wrong.

.... I think Protein first is a great way to lose your teeth and get bowel cancer.

You know I agree with your position on protein, so I'm definitely not flaming you. I only eat about 35-40 grams of protein a day and am losing weight just fine, even without exercise. Can you elaborate on the "lose your teeth" comment? I've never heard that too much protein can adversely affect your teeth. I thought it was just really hard on the kidneys.

No no, not Protein, but eating no vegetables or fruit, or way too little will affect your teeth!

You need 2 cups total of five different vegetables a day and 2 different fruits a day as a general rule. How many bandsters could really say they get that?

jachut, if you do not mind me asking, what types of veggies and fruits do you normally eat? I had stir fry veggies today and did fine- I also tried mango today-my fav fruit-but it seemed to be too stringy-bananas seem to have too much sugar.The dr told me 6 g of sugar or less but I just think how the heck can I eat any fruit then?? it makes no sense.

I dont have a lot of trouble with it - but I cant eat apple skin. fruit is a pretty go slow food for me. I cut up apples now, but I can eat them carefully. Tinned fruit in natural juice is good too.

As for vegies, well anything really. But I dont do low carb either so I"m not afraid of potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato either. I absolutely cannot choke down corn anymore though. Lettuce has never bothered me either.

I have never had any problems with Constipation. As a matter of fact, most days it's 2 or 3 times (I'm up now at 4 a.m. EST because of going 3-4 times already---Geez i hope this translate to more weight loss). Anyway I do try to get in the Protein but I focus more so on veggies.............I eat a lot of black Beans, green beans and turnips/collards. I rarely eat carbs with my meals with the exception of grits for Breakfast. I do snack sometimes on those baked potato chips as long as I stay in the 1000-1200 caloric count. I also eat either apples, peaches, pears, watermelon, banana and strawberries for Snacks. I drink anywhere from 60-80 ozs of Water daily. I don't get my 1st fill until tomorrow so I'll see how it goes afterwards. I've lost about 30 lbs and walk 5 days or more a week.

My doctors instructions said to make a Protein Shake with an apple, skin on. I have been doing this each day for breakfast with either an apple or a pear and have not had a Constipation problem. Hope that helps.

Cleone

I was banded in the US and my doctors diet consists of the following at each meal.

1/4 cup Protein, 1/4 cup vege, 1/4 cup fruit or carb -- 3 times per day

2 lean Protein Snacks in between

I haven't been as regular, but not having a major issue.

As far as fruit goes, I find that berries go down very easy and taste like a treat!

Hi All-I had the same problem, but it was solved with three words....prune juice daily! Not the greatest tasting stuff in the world, but the results are certainly worth it!

Kat, I was just looking at your weight loss and all I can say is WOW and Great Job! But I was wondering how you've loss so much or what and how much do you normally consume daily. Also do you exercise and how often? I've been stuck between 30-33 lbs for 3 weeks, have had 1 fill but no restriction.

BTW!! Prune juice will definitely solve problems!!!!! Also Slim Fast will do it for me.

Rumar