Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fiber and Digestion

Hi Rumar-Thanks for the kind words! I started working out about 2 months before I was banded, so I had lost 20 or so lbs before surgery. The rest I lost after I was banded. I haven't been exercising like I should, or I would have lost more by now! I lost quite a bit the first month with the liquid and mushie stage. When I moved to regular food I stuck with strictly 1/2 cup of food per meal and no Snacks. I've increased my meals somewhat, but I'm still eating less that a cup per meal. I do snack on popcorn, which is my one vice!! I went for a fill on Oct. 18th, but my Doc said I didn't need one because I was doing so well. I'm scheduled for one at the end of this month, and I'm going to tell him I want one regardless of whether he thinks I need one or not. I have no restriction at all, and I haven't been losing as much here lately as I'd like to. I also need to jump back on the exercise train!! So that's me!

Kat, that's is still quite an accomplishment. Well let me tell you what shocking news I got this week (and I'll post it on the food and August bandsters's thread). I have been stuck for about a month now at around 30 lbs. I'm still trying to figure things out and if nothing else, I am proud of only now consuming about 1/3 of what I used to eat before banding. For 4 days this week I have been attending a Diabetic class with my DH. He was diagnosed last summer of 06. The last 2 days a dietician worked with them on food. The last day of class we ate a prepared meal from the hospital (It WAS SO MUCH and even though I don't have much restriction I couldn't eat it all). Then she gave him a diet plan for him to consume 2200 calories a day. This with the exercise plan they gave him should allow him to lose 2-3 pounds a week. They want him to lose about 25 lbs and to do it by February 4 (his next appointment). Another lady was there who is diabetic and about my age and height so I asked her if I could see what her plan was. She is allowed to consume 1700 calories a day and with exercise this would also allow her to lose 2-3 lbs a week. I was shocked at the amount she could eat! So I told the Dietician I'd been dieting (minus the lapband part) and was consuming about 1000-1200 calories a day and exercising 5 times alternating weight resistance. I then went on to tell her I'd been "stuck" for about a month. She almost had a heart attack and told me I wasn't losing because I'd put my body into starvation mode and I was not consuming enough calories!!! Of course I am in disbelief but as I tracked what I'd been eating this week I was actually consuming about 1500-1700 and guess what? Today I get on the scale and I had lost 4 lbs. So I'm going to continue another week to see if this is really really true even though I think everyone is different and you have to figure out what works for you. I am scheduled for another fill 11/16 (yes before Thanksgiving-----my family asked me why before and I told them I am not going to center events around food anymore)!! They're amazed , shocked but supportive at the same time on my new journey!!!

Hi there,

Do you have a copy of the foods the dietician gave you, I'm interested! I was banded October 25 and know my pre band issue was to starve myself all day and eat dinner. Ate over a day, less than most but big meal at night plus I'm starting to believe the starving body theory. Don't want to return to that way of eating.

Thanks,

I believe that, Rumar. I find the less I eat the slower the weight comes off. I really have to stay away from high sodium foods though.

Great job on the 4 pounds!

Sorry, I didn't realize I was posting on the Fiber thread question but here is the food plan. I think you may be able to find it on the American Diabetic Association Website or www.eatright.org. I don't follow it to the max because it is quite a bit of food. But I have up'd my caloric intake and never go over 3 hours without eating as per the dietician, you don't want to put your body in starvation mode or it will slow everything down. Also, they by no means are allowed to have Ketones in their urine as it makes the Kidneys work too hard.

Note: 1 Carbohydrate = 15 grams and you should choose non-starchy vegetables. Also anything that has less than 5 grams is considered a "free" food and you can have 3 x's the serving amount if you wish....i.e. green Beans has less than 5 grams of carbs and only 45 calories...a serving is 1/2 cup.

Breakfast:

3 from carb group (total 45grams)

1 oz meat

Snack:

1 carb (total 15 grams)

1 oz meat

Lunch:

4 from Carbohydrate group (total of 60 grams)

2 oz Meat

1 Fat (which = 1 tsp)

Dinner:

3 from Carb group (45 grams)

3 oz Meat

Snack:

1 Carb

1 oz Meat

Sorry about the pun, but it will.

I had a similar problem at about the same time post-op, and I asked doctor about laxatives, including Fiber ones (believing they might be more "natural" than MOM or chemicals), & he advised not to take any pills or pharmacy products. Fiber swells in the gut, could cause restriction problems, and he recommended nothing more than raw fruit (ripe bananas, if you can swallow them) and juices (including prune), smoothies, etc.

He also suggested that partof the problem may simply be reduced quantities going in means reduced quantities coming out... another thing we have to adapt to.

I put benefiber in all sorts of stuff. It's not gritty and it works like a charm.

I agree with Jacqui. Our bodies need fruits and veggies. I don't want to end up with colon cancer.

I also eat fiber one Cereal. Sometimes I put it in yogurt. That

and Kashi Cereal have very high fiber content. They are whole grain so they are considered good carbs.

I've been taking over the counter Miralax powder each day, mixes clear with Water, and I'm going twice a day like clockwork.

My Doctor also perscribed me Colace (Docusate Sodium) which is a stool softener and safe to take every day for weeks at a time.

I was advised to stay away from laxatives - Stool softeners are you want. Less gas, less drama, more calm and very "regular". The colace helps you hold more Water in your colon to help move things along.

Activia has been my solution also. Some Protein. I have to eat this yogurt only every other day b/c of TOO regular!! It may take a couple of days to work like this for you, but I took Metamucil and worried about that big 'clump' of stuff sitting in my little new stomach!!

I am going to try some of that Activia. Miralax is a laxative. My dr. told me it was safe to take, but I don't want to be taking laxatives every day. I like the Benefiber. It does work, but it gives me gas.

It's embarrassing. I will put it in Water in the evenings when I know I am not going anywhere.

I like a ripe pear cut up small in 1 cup of ff cottage cheese, adding cinnamon. I could eat that twice a day. After the surgery I'll have to stretch that to 1/2 c cott ch & 1/2 pear 2X a day I think. I like steamed swiss chard, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, etc. I will probably stick to those vegies after the banding once I can get on the reg foods. I also like peas so I may have small amounts of that also maybe in my salad (from frozen and not cooked). I think it's important and healthy to mix equally your vegies with Proteins. I hope I can eventually eat the broccoli flowers too, that's another one of my favorites.