Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I fainted at a concert last night

Hey All,

So as the subject title says, I fainted at a concert last night. I've never fainted in my life, so I'm pretty shaken up. I'm 8 months post-op, and I know I shouldn't really be drinking yet, but I did have about a quarter of a drink over the period of an hour (during the opening band). I had dinner before (salad with chicken) and had been drinking plenty of Water all day. As the first band ended, I started to feel a little dizzy, so I told my friend I needed to lean up against the railing. As I started to walk over there, the dizziness increased tremendously, and very quickly. I just remember holding on to the railing, and telling my friend "this is not good", and then all of a sudden it went completely silent and I could hear ringing. Next thing I know I'm on the floor and someone is helping me because my legs got tangled in the spaces of the railing, but I couldn't get up. My friend and security helped me out of the crowd but I could NOT walk. The security guard was just pulling me and I was trying to tell him to stop or let me sit down but he wanted me out of the way (understandably). Everyone assumed I was drunk, but I could hear my friend yelling that I hadn't even finished half of my drink. They brought me to some employee area, tied my hair up, gave me a wet cloth and some water and tried to give me juice. I kind of gagged from nausea and then that's when everything started to calm down and go back to normal. I explained to the 8 people I had surgery and they agreed not to call 911, which I was glad about. Everything just kind of went back to normal and I was brought upstairs to sit down and watch the show from the balcony.

Thankfully the "passing out" was super quick, and my friend said I was moving extremely slow (even though I felt like I was moving really, really fast). I feel fine today other than being a bit sore on my side from falling. My body also feels sore like I must have tensed up. Has anyone experienced something like this? I know it must be from the alcohol, but I can't imagine this would happen every time I drink?

That is so scary! Idk....I read about a ytber fainting who is on Keto & she said she's five years out. It could be a number of things thwt caused this...she said she went to the dr and everything was fine. She thinks her potassium was low. Hope you don't have to go through this again!

I'm so sorry that happened. When I feel faint or dizzy I eat a little salt and then drink some Water. It helps. I keep little packets of salt in my purse/backpack so I'm ready when the need arises.

I haven't had any alcohol in months and I'm 6 weeks post-op. For me I think the triggers are dehydration and low BP or BS.

Edited by MarinaGirl

Definitely would be a good idea to go to your doc and get some bloodwork done. Make sure you aren't short on something. That little bit of alcohol shouldn't have done that.

Perhaps it was low blood sugar? I would also ask the doctor to check for anemia. Both should be monitored fairly often in the year after surgery, and both could cause exactly what you had happen. It is especially of note is if after you had some juice you felt better. Can't tell from your post if that was the case or not.

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness

50 minutes ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

Perhaps it was low blood sugar? I would also ask the doctor to check for anemia. Both should be monitored fairly often in the year after surgery, and both could cause exactly what you had happen. It is especially of note is if after you had some juice you felt better. Can't tell from your post if that was the case or not.

Yes hypoglycemia could've been th culprit

Glad all is well but you never said what concert you were at?

I had pretty much an identical experience at the Britney show in Vegas.

For me, I think it was a combination of alcohol (it's Vegas!), dehydration, and heat. The only other time I had this happen was at my rehearsal dinner where it was super hot and I hadn't been taking care of myself (oh haaiiii pre wedding stress). I haven't had this issue since, so I wouldn't worry too much.

This is one of those things that could mean nothing, or it could get serious quickly. Umm.. Pass out while driving anyone?

Good to get checked out to make sure it was just the alcohol.

For post WLS patients the hypoglycemia after booze would be reactive, and it can cause you to pass out.

Alcohol is extremely carb-dense, and its liquid so it will be absorbed very quickly, your body will respond in kind by releasing tons of insulin into the bloodstream. The booze will past through your digestive tract extremely quickly and the insulin will lower the glucose in your bloodstream by far more than you can handle.

This problem gets compounded if you haven't had much to eat or drink, as in Water, not booze, in the prior few hours. At any decent concert one can be there for hours.. even worse if they're burning off energy standing, walking, moshing, etc., and not sitting, out in the heat, it only gets worse.

Sometimes people need to learn the hard way that their bodies can't take much post-op.

I have almost passed out several times, I don't drink so I can't blame it on alcohol.

The main thing that triggers it for me is standing still for long periods and becoming over heated. I don't really sweat anymore, I go from normal to hot very fast. Standing makes the blood pool in your feet and you get dizzy.

Low calories. I used to try and save my calories for dates, and not eat much during the day, but mistake which probably leads to the other cause...

Low blood sugar

If the alcohol did anything it wasn't because of the liquor, it is because it spiked your sugar and then made it drop.

If I go some place and I am just standing for long periods, I get dizzy every single time.

Thanks everyone for your responses. They were very helpful. Now thinking about the standing for long periods of time..I know that happened to me once while waiting for a concert to start (it sounds like I go all of the time lol), and actually walked out early because I started to feel nauseous and hot. I didn't have alcohol then since I was 2 months post-op, but I think of how I was then - combined with alcohol and a bit of salad for dinner..it must've been too much, causing me to pass out.

I think the best thing for me to do is stay away from alcohol for a bit anyway, but I'll be more cautious when I know I'm going to be in similar situations. Thanks again for everyone's input. And I believe someone asked which concert.. it was Marian Hill :)

Have you had your blood tested recently to see if you are deficient in anything? Right about 8 months is when my blood work started to look really bad. I also experienced dizziness etc due to very low B1.

Oh and then there is the whole not eating thing. That can do it too lol.

Basically- blood work aside- you went out on almost no food- probably less than half what your body needs - for the last 8 months basically on a starvation diet- then had a drink. It was loud and hot and your body is trying to just fuel itself but is being givin very little to work with and is having to use your muscles and fat stores as fuel- your glycogen depleted and yeah----

That's what happened.
Get some blood tests and realize you are not in a great state for any alcoholic drinks. If your gonna drink- better eat.