Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your favorite way to stay active on the rainy days?

I'm curious what some of your fat burning activities are during the rainy days. I'm personally not quite ready for the gym world, as I am conditioning and learning my limits and this rain on the east coast has been cramping my style but I want to stay active. What are some things you guys like to do on rainy/bad weather days to get the sweat dripping? (I realize the obvious answer to this question will probably be straight from the gutter of everyone's mind lol but lets say other than that... ;) )

For me, I go to the mall and walk. I really hate being cold (thanks WLS, LOL) so I just go to the mall so that I don't get cold and wet.

I hung a heavy bag in my garage, got an aerobic step, and a jump rope. I used duck tape to create a ladder on the floor. I write out intervals and go to town!

Take a look at a Yoga DVD something like DDP Yoga. All of these movements are done right in your comfortable space a t home and Help with Greater Flexibility and Controlled Breathing as well as a Wonderful form of exercise.

Walk in the rain. I walked and didn't let the weather interrupt my schedule at all the first year. I walked in the rain and the cold, and the snow. I walked when it was 10 degrees.

I made a habit and I wanted to keep that habit going. The only way to do it was to do it every day, rain or shine.

I tried walking in the mall, it was so boring. I'd rather get wet.

I have a $30 step aerobics platform at home that I'm capable of breaking a sweat on. I can achieve a low to moderate intensity cardio workout on it using a basic step routine.

I also have a ridiculously cheap gym membership...I pay $49 yearly to be a member of 24-Hour Fitness. Since I paid full price for a membership in 2006, I am "grandfathered" in and renew annually for a fee that is less than what some people pay for monthly dues.

Screenshot 2017-05-23 at 9.40.32 AM.png

Edited by Introversion

4 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Walk in the rain. I walked and didn't let the weather interrupt my schedule at all the first year. I walked in the rain and the cold, and the snow. I walked when it was 10 degrees.

I made a habit and I wanted to keep that habit going. The only way to do it was to do it every day, rain or shine.

I tried walking in the mall, it was so boring. I'd rather get wet.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I have been considering an exercise bike for bad weather days but as you said, OutsideMatchInside, I think this is probably what I'm going to end up doing, but I am one of those people that gets bored with one activity for too long so I want to have some options in my arsenal for when I feel like I need a change up. Does that make any sense or do I sound like the complete newbie I am? lol

I just want to add that I forced myself to exercise even in bad weather for the first year to remove excuses. If I can walk in the rain and cold at 300 plus pounds, I can walk at [whatever weight I am] in any circumstances.

It was more an effort in habit forming and mental reset than anything else.

Plus I have a dog, I have to walk some every day. I adopted him about 3 weeks after surgery and besides being excellent companionship, I knew I wouldn't neglect a dog and having one would force me to walk. It worked!

5 hours ago, jesssa_belle said:

(I realize the obvious answer to this question will probably be straight from the gutter of everyone's mind lol but lets say other than that...

Don't discount this option either. It is a fantastic exercise!!

5 hours ago, jesssa_belle said:

I'm curious what some of your fat burning activities are during the rainy days. I'm personally not quite ready for the gym world, as I am conditioning and learning my limits and this rain on the east coast has been cramping my style but I want to stay active. What are some things you guys like to do on rainy/bad weather days to get the sweat dripping? (I realize the obvious answer to this question will probably be straight from the gutter of everyone's mind lol but lets say other than that... ;) )

Roller Skating! Great exercise!

I purchased the Booty Max just for shits and gigs. I use it on rainy days when my ankle hurts just working on arms lol.

8 hours ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

Don't discount this option either. It is a fantastic exercise!!

Oh I absolutely won't! It is one of my favorites! hahaha ;)

8 hours ago, SEAHAWKS FAN! said:

Roller Skating! Great exercise!

OMG I haven't been in years! I completely forgot about roller skating, I HAVE to look into this! Thank you!

42 minutes ago, jesssa_belle said:

Oh I absolutely won't! It is one of my favorites! hahaha ;)

OMG I haven't been in years! I completely forgot about roller skating, I HAVE to look into this! Thank you!

I went last week and it was fun after an hour of single laps & rest I started rolling like back in the day. I was a little sore the next day but not to bad.

On 5/23/2017 at 9:18 AM, 2-Liter said:

Take a look at a Yoga DVD something like DDP Yoga. All of these movements are done right in your comfortable space a t home and Help with Greater Flexibility and Controlled Breathing as well as a Wonderful form of exercise.

The DDP Yoga DVD's have been great for indoor exercise and I really appreciate the modifications being done along with normal and advanced all at the same time.

1 hour ago, jeichman said:

The DDP Yoga DVD's have been great for indoor exercise and I really appreciate the modifications being done along with normal and advanced all at the same time.

Do you think they are good for beginners? I've never tried yoga before.