Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Menstrual cycle changes

So... personal question. Is there anyone else that has the Mirena and after surgery your menstrual cycle decided to go haywire? Had my cycle before surgery. Ended day of surgery. 2 days later it's back and has been non stop ever since. That was 3 weeks ago. If it were just spotting... I wouldn't mind too much. I was used to that. But this is full force. I know my estrogen is probably playing a part in it... but I am getting very tired of this. Lol. I had just started having normal monthly cycles 6 months ago with Mirena so I was very happy to be done with the daily bleeding. I don't think my body liked it too much for a couple years. Now I feel good enough for some "fun" with my husband... but my body is not allowing it!

Today is the first day I've had cramping with it... but I just wish it would go away.

Yes ma'am! I don't have the Mirena, I have the Nexplanon Implant. When I first got it about 5 years ago I was already close to my heaviest weight and had been on DepoProvera so my periods just stopped entirely. 1 week after surgery I got my period, and then just yesterday it came again! I've been using the Glow app to track all of this so I can start to identify patterns and see how it normalizes as my weight goes down.

If I could make a recommendation for sanitary napkins, I've just discovered Always Maxi Size 5 Extra Heavy Overnight Pads with Wings - the coverage is fantastic for plus size undies!

I was prepared for this to happen since I heard of it happening a lot but the opposite happened to me. I'm 5.5 weeks post op and my cycle is late and hasn't come back yet. I was always regular before surgery.

I have the Mirena as well. I had already discussed this with my obgyn before the surgery and she told me that it would be crazy until I reach my goal weight. It seems like with every 10lbs I loose it comes back. I only have the Mirena to regulate me because my tubes are burned and I must say it's doing good so far. Haven't had any crazy spells as far as bleeding a lot of days nonstop but it comes earlier now.

Are you sure the mirena is still in place (check for the chord)? Sometimes they slip.

I have Mirena and experienced the same crazy periods. I hadn't had a period in 1-2 years. Then I had my surgery and I get the worst period I've had in years for days and days. It then turned into periodic spotting and by 3 months I was back to no period. The surgery and sudden weight loss definitely messes with your hormones which messes with your periods.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

ωнєи ι нα∂ тнє мιяєиα тнє вℓєє∂ιиg иєνєя ѕтσρρє∂, єνєи тнσυgн ιт ωαѕ ℓιgнт ιт ωαѕ ιяяιтαтιиg. αfтєя 6мσитнѕ σf ιт ι fιиαℓℓу gσт ιт тαкєи συт. ι нα∂ ѕωιт¢нє∂ тσ тнє ¢σρρєя σиє ωнєяє му ρєяισ∂ѕ вє¢αмє иσямαℓ вυт тнєу ωєяє ℓσиgєя αи∂ нєανιєя. αfтєя α fєω мσитнѕ ι нα∂ ιт тαкєи συт тσσ.

Are you sure the mirena is still in place (check for the chord)? Sometimes they slip.

It's still there. That was the first thing I checked.

I have Mirena and experienced the same crazy periods. I hadn't had a period in 1-2 years. Then I had my surgery and I get the worst period I've had in years for days and days. It then turned into periodic spotting and by 3 months I was back to no period. The surgery and sudden weight loss definitely messes with your hormones which messes with your periods.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

My body didn't agree with the mirena. I bled daily for 2.5 years after getting it. I finding just starting getting normal cycles 6 months ago. So to have it come back daily sucks! I had planned on hormones being messed up during the weight loss but I didn't think it'd be this bad. It's almost like as my uterus is trying to build the lining back up, my body just won't let it and it's constantly shedding.
I'm going to schedule an appointment with my regular Dr on Monday to check my levels and see how my Iron is now.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully soon this will level off.

I have the Mirena as well. I had already discussed this with my obgyn before the surgery and she told me that it would be crazy until I reach my goal weight. It seems like with every 10lbs I loose it comes back. I only have the Mirena to regulate me because my tubes are burned and I must say it's doing good so far. Haven't had any crazy spells as far as bleeding a lot of days nonstop but it comes earlier now.

My body didn't agree with the mirena. I bled daily for 2.5 years after getting it. I finding just starting getting normal cycles 6 months ago.
Only reason I didn't get it removed is we definitely weren't ready for another baby.

So to have it come back daily sucks! I had planned on hormones being messed up during the weight loss but I didn't think it'd be this bad. It's almost like as my uterus is trying to build the lining back up, my body just won't let it and it's constantly shedding.
I'm going to schedule an appointment with my regular Dr on Monday to check my levels and see how my Iron is now.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully soon this will level off.

This thread is making me really nervous! Mirena was actually a godsend for me. It finally halted my period after being on my period for over a year straight....Bleeding for that long caused many trips to the ER (too much blood loss), general exhaustion, anemia, depression and weight gain...I can't go through that again!

I have the Mirena and hadn't had a period since I got it, about a year ago. The week after surgery I got my period for the first time since getting the Mirena. I asked my surgeon about it, and she said it had to do with the stress of the surgery. I'm hoping that's true and I go back to not having periods again, ever :)

Hopefully the surgery will eventually cause me to be one of the lucky ones that have no periods with the Mirena.

As of right now, my Gyn put me on am Estrogen patch twice weekly for three months to stop the bleeding and hopefully keep it under control. So far only a little spotting since 2 days after putting my first patch on

I have the mirena and I have two HEAVY periods EVERY month since surgery, 12/13/16. I've been told it's because your fat stores hormones and when you start losing, the stored hormones in the fat flood into your bloodstream, causing the excess and heavy periods, along with a myriad of other symptoms (acne, growing hair, etc). I've been told that over time, your body will balance itself out.... just no telling when that will be because everyone is different. Hang in there! Hugs! [emoji847]

I have the mirena also and just got off the heaviest period of my adult life [emoji58]. And I'm (41), Im supposed to have it removed by august, but now I'm nervous from hearing on here that it hurts like hell to remove it.