Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it Possible that a person isnt meant to be skinny?



Recommended Posts

I was wondering is it possible that someones body just isnt meant to be skinny .. im a more curvy female and i have lost 80 lbs but it seems like im having such a hard time getting to my goal weight. Everyone i know tells me they dont want me to lose any more weight and im not meant to be skinny. Is that possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What? Some people are not going to be stick skinny unless they are ill, some are just big boned..I was never skinny even at 120 pds, I was curvy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Deactivatedfatgal said:

What? Some people are not going to be stick skinny unless they are ill, some are just big boned..I was never skinny even at 120 pds, I was curvy.

The smallest i ever been was 145 and even then i was curvy so i was thinking maybe my body just doesnt want me to lose anymore weight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In short.... no. If you take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. That may become more difficult as you lose more weight, but it still holds true. You, as well as the people around you, might not be used to how your body changes, but that does not mean you are "meant" to remain at a certain weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, MSinger said:

In short.... no. If you take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. That may become more difficult as you lose more weight, but it still holds true. You, as well as the people around you, might not be used to how your body changes, but that does not mean you are "meant" to remain at a certain weight.

1 hour ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

First of all at 5'4 and 165 you won't be skinny or anything close to it. Everyone is so damn fat in America, people don't even know what legit skinny even looks like.

Big boned is a myth, yeah some people might have slightly larger frames but big bones is BS. My bones are 3x denser than the average woman my age and they still barely weigh anything, and they look TINY on a DEXA scan. they are covered in fat and muscle. Big bone is just lie people tell themselves and others to justify obesity.

Just because the weight is harder to lose or slower coming off doesn't mean you aren't meant to lose it or you can't lose it. You are barely one year out from surgery. It will probably take you another 6 months or so to lose the rest if you keep eating right.

People need to think about their general health and wellness. The way insurance is going right now, those few extra pounds can cost you a lot in insurance premiums in the future. Everyone should be striving to get to a normal BMI at this point.

And just because you are smaller doesn't mean you won't have curves. I have lost an entire grown man in weight and I still have enough titties for 3 broads and I have hips, thighs and a butt. Slim thick is really a thing.

People need to stop kidding themselves. You will never be this young ever again in life. Go for your goal, go for it hard. It is never going to be this easy to lose weight ever again.

You go, girl. 😎👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chaelove0810 said:

Everyone i know tells me they dont want me to lose any more weight and im not meant to be skinny. Is that possible?

My following comment may be controversial, but I don't particularly care anymore.

I assume you are African-American based on your profile picture. I am also black. In a nutshell, many members of the AA community have skewed body image perceptions with regards to women and think that bigger is more attractive.

My BMI is 22. I am squarely in the middle of the normal BMI range, yet certain people in my circle think I'm "too skinny." Funny enough, all of the people who think I'm skinny are badly overweight and need to address their own weight problems and health issues.

You are 5'4 and 165 pounds. Most Caucasian and Asian women with those stats would be aiming for goal weights in the 120 to 140-pound range, and no one in their respective communities would chastise them for it. However, many folks in the AA community would shout a black female down for even entertaining the idea of getting "that skinny."

Essentially, you do you. If you want to attain a lower body weight, it is possible. If you need to attain a lower body weight due to health issues, you'd better do it.

Forget about the naysayers. This is your journey. They, on the other hand, can end up in a dialysis chair 20 years from now or have a massive stroke because they paid too much attention to keeping their fluffy curves and round booties. It is all about you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Introversion said:

You are 5'4 and 165 pounds.

She is 190 if her information is accurate so her goal of 165 should still leave her at the high end of overweight close to obese. So even if she hits her goal, she will be no where near skinny at all.

Which is what makes peoples comments completely ridiculous. No one even knows what skinny is anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2017 at 0:12 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

She is 190 if her information is accurate so her goal of 165 should still leave her at the high end of overweight close to obese. So even if she hits her goal, she will be no where near skinny at all.

Which is what makes peoples comments completely ridiculous. No one even knows what skinny is anymore

Edited by Chaelove0810

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually being "big boned" is not a myth. It only becomes a myth when it is used as a reason for being 'overweight'. Being big-boned gives you a larger frame. Frame may affect you are 'perceived' , but doesn't really affect how much you weigh. The NIH has a guideline to help you check your body frame using wrist measurements (per height group for women). About 70% of the population falls between the medium frame.
Having a large frame (big boned) has nothing to do with to do with bone density. Lower bone density will not affect the size of your bones. Just the concentration of a mineral in it.
Again, a small/large frame is not equal to being under/overweight. It may just help you look 'better' while being under/overweight.

Edited by Middus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate everyones feedback. Some of the responses came off a little abrasive but i can take it . Let me make it clear that im not trying to be "skinny" im trying to be healthy and i want to learn to love myself. I personally dont want to be down to 120 lbs because i wont be comfortable. My goals are my goals whether im no where near skinny or im still considered obese. I came on this site for support and to share my thoughts and to get positive feed back and have another support system outside of my family because they dont understand it the others who are going through it would understand. This is all new to me even tho its been a year im still trying to figure it all out

16426015_1789196451297010_4055696506268252451_n.jpg

18057069_1821447588071896_300118691092432343_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Chaelove0810 said:

I appreciate everyones feedback. Some of the responses came off a little abrasive but i can take it . Let me make it clear that im not trying to be "skinny" im trying to be healthy and i want to learn to love myself. I personally dont want to be down to 120 lbs because i wont be comfortable. My goals are my goals whether im no where near skinny or im still considered obese. I came on this site for support and to share my thoughts and to get positive feed back and have another support system outside of my family because they dont understand it the others who are going through it would understand. This is all new to me even tho its been a year im still trying to figure it all out

16426015_1789196451297010_4055696506268252451_n.jpg

18057069_1821447588071896_300118691092432343_n.jpg

One things for sure, you look AMAZING! how tall are you? Your first pic is exactly size I was starting off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Deactivatedfatgal said:

One things for sure, you look AMAZING! how tall are you? Your first pic is exactly size I was starting off.

THANK YOU !! Im 5'4 :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Chaelove0810 said:

THANK YOU !! Im 5'4

Psssh nvm I'm only "411" the struggle is real hahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      I can now buy clothes in normal stores again. Admittedly the first time when I started trying on clothes, I really had to keep myself calm. Normally trying on clothes causes me to become SOOO depressed that it take weeks just to get over it. Now, I have to keep myself from not wanting to buy everything!
      · 1 reply
      1. AngieBear

        Right?! It’s an amazing, freeing feeling.

    • allwet

      https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(19)30504-2?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1550413119305042%3Fshowall%3Dtrue
      · 5 replies
      1. Charlessmott

        https://www.winterisnotcoming.org/butterfly-crib-bedding/

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Wow, I am nowhere-near smart enough to read that article! 😉

      3. Charlessmott

        https://www.winterisnotcoming.org/lounge-pillow-with-arms/

      4. JerryDew

        https://www.ivoox.com/geminis-ver-pelicula-online-completas-espanol-gratis-audios-mp3_rf_42954936_1.html

      5. JerryDew

        https://www.ivoox.com/geminis-ver-pelicula-online-completas-espanol-gratis-audios-mp3_rf_42954936_1.html

    • GreenTealael  »  seaforest

      🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥CONGRATULATIONS🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
      · 2 replies
      1. ShannaLeany

        https://www.yaplakal.com

      2. ShannaLeany

        https://www.yaplakal.com

    • gn3476  »  TxStar09

      Hi, congrats on your surgery!  Saw you went to Dr. Pleatman.  I've been between doing the Lap Band and sleeve.  I was suppose to have a consultation with Dr. Pleatman this month.  So far great experience with his office coordinator Carrie (sp?).   Feeling really scared and nervous about getting the sleeve.  If you can share...how was your experience with Dr. Pleatman's office and the surgery?   Thanks!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • LadyVS

      I'm not new, I was an active Lapbander from: 
      JOINED
      March 4, 2013   LAST VISITED
      February 6, 2017 Here I am on October 4, 2019 thinking back over my Lapband journey and how I thought I would be banded for life. Unfortunately, I have been sick for some time, and am on medications; and well my weight has constantly slowly increased. I was 225 pounds when I had my Lapband surgery on Dec. 17, 2010. At least my weight hasn't reached 210. I have been fluctuating between 202-206. For that, I'm grateful. I'm just excited to be able to have another tool to assist me with my weight loss journey. I'm not looking forward to the liquid stage, however.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×