Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is a Good Bathroom Scale ?

Hello I am 9 days post op and in need of a good scale .. I'm trying to decide if I should get a digital or a dial scale ? I always wondered if the digitals were that accurate ? Anybody have any ideas for me on what product I should get ? Thanks for your input ..

A friend's husband sells scales to hospitals and he swears digital scales are the least accurate and most likely to break.

I plan on getting a balance beam scale and he said to get a Health O Meter brand. I don't think he's pushing me into a brand that isn't good because he doesn't sell that brand. :) It's like the scale in an MD office. The big tall kind.

For a regular bathroom scale I honestly don't know. I just know what I wrote above.

A friend's husband sells scales to hospitals and he swears digital scales are the least accurate and most likely to break.

I plan on getting a balance beam scale and he said to get a Health O Meter brand. I don't think he's pushing me into a brand that isn't good because he doesn't sell that brand. :) It's like the scale in an MD office. The big tall kind.

For a regular bathroom scale I honestly don't know. I just know what I wrote above.

I've had a Health O Meter balance beam scale for about 35 years. It's always been very accurate and very durable. Well worth the money.

I've had a Health O Meter balance beam scale for about 35 years. It's always been very accurate and very durable. Well worth the money.

Thanks, it's good to hear that from someone who has one.

I keep going back and forth if I want to spend $200 on a scale. I'm already obsessed with losing weight and I'm not sure that will help me overcome that little issue. :)

If I do get a balance beam scale that is the brand I'll get.

I absolutely love my digital scale that I got at Target. It is not the same weight as the balance scales but it is consistent compared to them. I like not having to figure out what lb marker it is at. Even if i replaced it once a year it was only $30, and I know I wont have to replace it every year. Oh and it is very slim and fits under the bathroom cabinet very well. I hate having everything out and cluttered.

I have a Tanita body fat monitor (digital) and I love it (although I don't always love what it tells me). I like that it also can show muscle weight and bone weight. I'll be even happier when I start moving away from the 50% fat mark!

It's always been pretty on par w/my Dr office's scale (balance beam type). I like it because of the accuracy, features, and it's cool looking (glass and steel).

~kat

NYTrink and I must have the same scale. I like the digital, it's very consistent. However, the BF% is way off and I'm not too keen on that!

I have a Weight Watchers WW60X scale that I bought from Amazon. Here is the link...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Watchers-WW60X-Tracking-Scale/dp/B0000AHSAA/ref=sr_1_3/002-3676832-9588020?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1191675512&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Weight Watchers WW60X Weight Tracking Scale: Home & Garden[/ame]

I love this scale. I find that it's very accurate compared to my dr's scale. I bought this scale pre-surgery mainly b/c of it's 380 lb limit..

I looked for one that played music, shot fireworks out and had flashing lights every time the weight went down. Clouldn't find one, so I settled on the health-o-meter one. Its right on track with my dr's big scale...Dave

p>I consider myself a "connoisseur" of scales and after a lifetime of eating disorders, I've had many who were my friend and some were my foes. </p> <p>My 1st "friend" scale was a regular dial scale. I would weigh myself repeatedly thoughtout the day, looking for approval from it. If it read 215, I would pout and then lean a little to the left and the meter would go down ... 209? I'll take it!! What a great friend that scale was. I bought a couple more for he reassurance that I could "sway" my weight down.</p> <p>Next I moved on to a digital scale. This scale was really trying to be my friend. I would weight myself every morning first thing, within another hour I would weigh myself again... WOW, the digital scale would say I lost 6lbs since breakfast!!! This one was so good, I bought ANOTHER digital scale, just for reaffirmation.</p> <p>the moral of the story is that neither the digital or dial scale are any good. They are inaccurate & might drive you to do crazy things like I did above.</p> <p> </p> <p>The best kind of scale to have are the health-o-meter scales with the sliders across the top. Just like you see in most Dr's office. Mine was pricey (about $200), but I have had it over 4 years and I only weigh myself once now, because I know that it's the real #. It's worth it for peace of mind!</p>

I looked for one that played music, shot fireworks out and had flashing lights every time the weight went down. Clouldn't find one, so I settled on the health-o-meter one. Its right on track with my dr's big scale...Dave

Which Health O Meter scale do you have? Is it the dial kind or balance beam?

A good scale is one that tells you that you weigh less than you really do! .... ok, so that's my pre-band thinking - sorry! I have a digital scale which is easy to read - I check it against my doctor's scale and it's a consistent one pound difference. I like it because it doesn't take up a lot of room.

Which Health O Meter scale do you have? Is it the dial kind or balance beam?

Its the dial kind. Ive had it for a while and its holding up ok...Dave