Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI and Gastric sleeve

Hey all. My BMI is 37 and I weigh about 213. According to my insurance, my sleeve surgery won't be covered because I don't have any comorbidies. I am paying out of pocket for the surgery. I need your support. How was your experience with weight lose at this weight?

I am BMI 38, but with several comorbidities. Although I can't give you the info you're looking for, my surgeon says I am an excellent candidate and I will be scheduling my surgery today. I wish you luck!

As of the day of surgery (2/15/17), I had a BMI of 35 - weighing in at 232 - considered obese. Since that date, I have lost 39 lbs. with a BMI of 29, and now considered overweight. Weight loss will be slower than those with higher BMI's and more to lose. I'm very pleased with the 39 lbs, as I only now have 38 lbs to lose to get to goal. I hope to reach that goal within the next 6-9 months, as I know my weight loss will slow down significantly as I get closer to goal. I have had to figure out my caloric intake so I lose steadily. My doctor wants me at 650 calories a day, but I didn't seem to lose. Once I raised the calories to 850-950 a day, I started losing again. I too was self pay though had a hiatal hernia fixed at the same time so I only really had to pay the surgeon his $5,200 fee. Totally worth it, so far.

8 hours ago, Puppy200101 said:

Hey all. My BMI is 37 and I weigh about 213. According to my insurance, my sleeve surgery won't be covered because I don't have any comorbidies. I am paying out of pocket for the surgery. I need your support. How was your experience with weight lose at this weight?

I started out with bmi of 37 too. I was 228lbs. Actually I was in the same boat as you, I don't have any of the main comorbidities, only thing I have is PCOS. I got denied twice, but ended up having them overturn their decision. Does it directly state in your policy what comorbidities you have to have. If not you probably can appeal. What insurance do you have?

Kaiser. I even filed a grievances. Still denied.

I have a low BMI 35 weighed 214 on preop diet now weigh 208. I have hypertension and pre diabetic. My reasons for the sleeve which is schedule on 5/6/17

I have a low BMI 35 weighed 214 on preop diet now weigh 208. I have hypertension and pre diabetic. My reasons for the sleeve which is schedule on 5/6/17

You have 2 days are you excited?

Sent from my LGMS330 using BariatricPal mobile app

I started out with a BMI of 40 but lost down to a BMI of 36 pre-surgery due to a combination of work I'd done in the clinic and the liquid diet.

Weight loss has been slow but steady so far. I'm down 22ish pounds since my surgery 6 weeks ago. You can't compare yourself to people with more weight to lose, or else you'll go bonkers. You have to get into the mindset that you're not going to lose 60 lbs in two months, and focus on following the plan and creating healthy habits.

Thus far, I'm happy I did this. I hope I continue to chip away at my excess weight until I am somewhere at least approaching a normal BMI.

I started at 224 pounds, BMI of 40, no comorbidities. I lost maybe 4 pounds pre-op, and 33 pounds in the 3 months since my surgery. It is both amazing to be losing this fast and awful to still be 187 pounds after all of this work and all of this weight loss.

There is no way those of us in the 35-40 BMI range can lose as much as fast as those who have BMIs of 50+, but there is also no reason to envy them. It will take them longer to reach their goals in the end.

I think the sleeve should available to people with a BMI of 35 and up, regardless of official comorbidities. I know that my sciatica, knee pains, back pains, etc. got started back when I was about the weight I am now. It would have been nice to have the surgery when I first needed it instead of waiting until I could prove that I *really* needed it.

If you can afford to pay out of pocket, I would say go for it. You will still feel a significant restriction and be able to lose weight relatively quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using BariatricPal mobile app

You have 2 days are you excited?

Today I fly out and not really scared at all. I just can't wait to start my new life of no medications, exercising and eating healthier. I feel that this is my 2nd chance.

10 hours ago, carolinaskies said:

Today I fly out and not really scared at all. I just can't wait to start my new life of no medications, exercising and eating healthier. I feel that this is my 2nd chance.

it really is a second chance at a new life. take it by the reins and you will succeed and be SO happy.

I'm sitting here in the airport waiting for my flight to arrive. Haven't eaten all day just drinking. Watching this man eat a sub sandwich and wondering if it's seasoned with pepper and mayo, while licking my lips. I can't wait to get to the hotel and sleep away my hunger.

Your right theres no reason to be scared. I Hope You Have A Postive Successful Journey. Good Luck [emoji3]