Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Levinox injections

Did any of you get sent home with Levinox Injections to give yourself after a band to sleeve or just sleeve? I really am apprehensive about doing this and don't see the need in it but husband is not happy about my decision to forego the injections.

I got lovenox b4 I left the hospital, but I didn't need them at home. Do you have a history of blood clots? With any abdominal surgery you are at an increased risk of forming a clot. Clots can move through your blood stream into other organs and cause major problems, even death. If your doctor thinks you need them, then you should take them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal mobile app

I had to take them for 10 days after. I missed one - but I didn't stress just did it til 10 days out. I'd rather have the unpleasant needle once a day than the worry of whether you're having gas pain or throwing a clot....

That being said we can get thru anything if you think of what problems non-compliance can create.

Mine was because my BMI was 50 (it's 39 now after 5 1/2 months!)

I got lovenox b4 I left the hospital, but I didn't need them at home. Do you have a history of blood clots? With any abdominal surgery you are at an increased risk of forming a clot. Clots can move through your blood stream into other organs and cause major problems, even death. If your doctor thinks you need them, then you should take them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal mobile app

No I have no history of clots or anything else. I'm actually very healthy other than being overweight.

Your husband is right. You're risking a clot developing. Why won't you take the shots?

I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant. The shot part is part of it but I think I could get over it but I just don't like the idea of thinning my blood for two weeks. Idk why. I just don't think it's necessary for me. But idk.

I think I'll just call the dr and ask if it's really that important for me to do since I have no health problems.

I had a bad leg break and after my surgery they sent me home with the injections. It was unpleasant but I didn't want to risk a blood clot. It's only temporary and the benefits outweigh the risks. Are you afraid of needles? See if your husband will give you the shot. I wouldn't pretend to take it. Tell the surgeon you're apprehensive and maybe they can explain why it's necessary.

Ask for TED hose, do your foot pumps while sedentary and take the lovenox!!! Abdominal surgeries are notorious for PE's and the needle is so tiny,takes 2 seconds and they're prefilled so messing around with drawing up from heparin to fuss with.....sry nurse come out lol. Just b safe over sorry 🤞🏻

I had the shots, I hate needles. HATE isn't really a strong enough word for my dislike of needles. But it's important. I don't have a history of blood clots but my surgeon felt them necessary. My wife gave me the shots. Took them in the thighs. I'm a big sissy and whined about them every time. But I'm doing this to get healthy and felt like it would all be for naught if I ended up with a clot. They sent me home with 24 pre loaded needles. Doctor allowed me to stop them a couple days early since I was up and about and being so active. I suggest talking to your surgeon. May be that they can reduce the amount of time you need them depending on your activity level.

Thank you all for kindly responding. I did speak to my dr about it yesterday. He said it was just precautionary and he just does everything he can to prevent clots. If I don't do them most likely I'll be fine but it's more like insurance. He still suggested I do it. But if I choose not to then ok. I still feel guilty for not doing so I may to get at least a few in during the time frame. I am already very active so I know that helps. Weird thing is I'm not afraid of needles. Idk what's holding me back. I think it's trying to do it to myself. I'll see if it's easier letting my husband do it. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, jbaker5d said:

Thank you all for kindly responding. I did speak to my dr about it yesterday. He said it was just precautionary and he just does everything he can to prevent clots. If I don't do them most likely I'll be fine but it's more like insurance. He still suggested I do it. But if I choose not to then ok. I still feel guilty for not doing so I may to get at least a few in during the time frame. I am already very active so I know that helps. Weird thing is I'm not afraid of needles. Idk what's holding me back. I think it's trying to do it to myself. I'll see if it's easier letting my husband do it. Thanks again!

I'm glad you are doing it because when I knee replacement I had take them for 10 days