Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You took offense and made this post about you. How unfortunate. If that's the truth, then you wouldn't feel so crummy about someone voicing there isn't enough healthy advice on this forum. It's not about how much we can screw up to stay on course, it's about beating bad habits that got us fat to begin with and may potentially get us fat again.

In your original thread you specifically use "stupidly, self-indulgent, addicts, ignorant, and selfish" in regards to those who ask that type of question and disagree with threads. It definitely sounds like you are implying something there.

How am I supposed to infer from your original post that those questions asked were anything but a rare treat? You never specified that it was or wasn't.

I'm not offended in the slightest. I also don't feel crummy. Yes, I used myself as an example but I don't see how that's turning this thread into all about myself. I just don't agree with the words you've used to describe these people, that's it :)

14 minutes ago, CrowMilk said:

I agree. If you're early out, and those foods are not in your nutrition guidelines then they should not be eating them, but on the same side I don't think there is any harm in asking "how soon" one can eat a certain food.

I agree...but I think its alarming to be asking this a week or two post op. To be honest, my response back to the person would had been soon you will be able to, but right now, focus on getting in your Protein. I understand we all fight food addiction, but as a support group, we have to stand up and help others battle this, especially during the first few months of surgery, when its most critical.

How do I know they are addicts?

Jump around and read other posts by the people posting questions, I'm not the only one who notices that some people will post several times about things they want to eat, that are unhealthy, or that they complain again and again how they want to eat this or that food that's bad for them.

Just because someone is eating junk food and fat food - and still losing doesn't make them healthy or successful.

Far from it.

Not all thin people are healthy. Eventually making poor choices in food catches up to a person and takes it toll, no matter how big or small they are.

Eating fast food is not healthy at all... to me it's comparable to smoking. It's awful for you. Success is measured per individual from what their standards are set.... so it they have low standards not knowing, they will think they are achieving great things but could be doing better. It pains me to hear people getting this surgery and right away want to put the naughty foods back into their system. It scares me to my core. I don't want those cravings ever again. I don't want to be this person I am now before surgery. I want to be the best version of me making healthy decisions that don't include crap food. I know I'll loose faster and my skin and appearance will look good! I just love myself too much to get the sleeve surgery and dare think to put crap in my system. [emoji171]

35 minutes ago, CrowMilk said:

The key to losing weight has always been calories in verses calories out

Not entirely true. Be open to the science and why this is a myth. Also, I gained weight from NOT ENOUGH CALORIES-but entirely the wrong food choices and I regularly exercise. My doc was always on to me for not eating enough. Check out the why.

https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

Edited by Newme17

Wait... question and this is a question I've posed for myself... why would you go to extremes of getting this gift... this wonderful tool to keep eating the same things that got you to needing surgery in the first place? It scares me that I might. To make that conscious decision to eat those awful foods even in moderation... and make the same mistakes I make now. It doesn't make sense to eat those nasty foods regardless of you're loosing weight. It's the health part you should be focusing on. You're better than fast food even if it's once in a while. You're better than ice cream and candy. I wish you well and much success! Xo

I half-and-half agree with your statement. For me at least, my issue has always been overeating actual food, and not an addiction to anything in particular. I got the sleeve to stop this issue, and I've learned so far on how to listen to my body and to stop when I am satisfied and not when I'm stuffed.

Every person is different when it comes to weight loss and uses their tool differently.

I agree...but I think its alarming to be asking this a week or two post op. To be honest, my response back to the person would had been soon you will be able to, but right now, focus on getting in your Protein. I understand we all fight food addiction, but as a support group, we have to stand up and help others battle this, especially during the first few months of surgery, when its most critical.

Oh, definitely. I completely understand that aspect of it.

Not entirely true. Be open to the science and why this is a myth. Also, I gained weight from NOT ENOUGH CALORIES-but entirely the wrong food choices and I regularly exercise. My doc was always on to me for not eating enough. Check out the why.
https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

I am open to science. Why do you say this is a myth? If you eat less, move more, you will lose weight.

1 hour ago, MBird said:

Some of what I read is preposterous. Reading stupid crap such as it's okay to drink soda or pop because the stomach muscle left over from the surgery won't stretch - B.S! NOT TRUE

Don't really care about the rest of the rant, but this needed to be addressed (yet again).

Depending on the surgery, the stretchy part of of the stomach (the fundus) is removed (sleeve) or bypassed (bypass). Therefore it is not possible to stretch the stomach again.

However! Once the scar tissue has fully healed, the stomach that remains does regain some pliability. I would liken it to a garden hose in the winter versus the same hose in the summer. On a properly performed surgery, when people say that their stomach has stretched, most likely what has happened is that the pylorus (for sleeves) or the created opening to the intestine (bypass) has been weakened and/or stretched and food can move from the stomach or pouch into the intestine quicker allowing for more food to be consumed.

To make the myth worse is the fact that doctors/surgeons will put the above into "laymans terms" for their patients. Thus perpetuating the belief that you can stretch your sleeve by eating poorly or too much or drinking carbonated beverages.

I half-and-half agree with your statement. For me at least, my issue has always been overeating actual food, and not an addiction to anything in particular. I got the sleeve to stop this issue, and I've learned so far on how to listen to my body and to stop when I am satisfied and not when I'm stuffed.

Every person is different when it comes to weight loss and uses their tool differently.

Yes everyone is different but how is someone healthy by eating crap? What their body composition will look like. The chemicals consumed? I see a total trend and in healthy fit people... they don't eat that crap! But semi-ok looking people usually do eat that. Myself for example.. my body composition and health is completely different with what i put in my body. Personally I get sick if I over indulge. But again.... why would you put those food back in your system????? Why? What so important that a person knows the risks and triggers of them... that they need to have them???? I mean, yes people use their tool different and have different goals. But it makes no sense to me to re introduce those harmful things back into my body. Just my opinion.

Yes everyone is different but how is someone healthy by eating crap? What their body composition will look like. The chemicals consumed? I see a total trend and in healthy fit people... they don't eat that crap! But semi-ok looking people usually do eat that. Myself for example.. my body composition and health is completely different with what i put in my body. Personally I get sick if I over indulge. But again.... why would you put those food back in your system????? Why? What so important that a person knows the risks and triggers of them... that they need to have them???? I mean, yes people use their tool different and have different goals. But it makes no sense to me to re introduce those harmful things back into me body. Just my opinion.

I mean, I agree for the most part. You shouldn't always eat bad food, but some of us didn't eat unhealthy food to get to this weight. That's all I'm saying.

6 minutes ago, CrowMilk said:

I am open to science. Why do you say this is a myth? If you eat less, move more, you will lose weight.

Did you read the website attachment? I cannot list it all here...at work presently. Please read for your enjoyment and education. My key words before is CICO is "NOT ENTIRELY TRUE"

I mean, I agree for the most part. You shouldn't always eat bad food, but some of us didn't eat unhealthy food to get to this weight. That's all I'm saying.

Yaaaaaaa right! I beg to differ!!!!! I completely understand your statement! I do I have horrible endocrine issues that I can starve myself and not loose a #. I get it!! I'm also in nursing. Sooooo it's hard for me to sit hear and believe that a person didn't eat "one ounce" of unhealthy food to get where they are. That's bs. You and I didn't get to where we are by eating good wholesome food. That's where reality needs to be a big part of people's success.

Yaaaaaaa right! I beg to differ!!!!! I completely understand your statement! I do I have horrible endocrine issues that I can starve myself and not loose a #. I get it!! I'm also in nursing. Sooooo it's hard for me to sit hear and believe that a person didn't eat "one ounce" of unhealthy food to get where they are. That's bs. You and I didn't get to where we are by eating good wholesome food. That's where reality needs to be a big part of people's success.

I never said I didn't eat an ounce of bad food. All I am saying is that I wasn't pile driving candy bars, Cookies, fast food, etc down my gullet. Overeating was my problem, and as many can attest, you can still gain weight polishing off 2 or 3 helpings of grandma's meatloaf.

Of course over eating is a cause of weight gain. I must have miss understood you when you said "but some of us didn't eat unhealthy food to get to this weight".