Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking meds after surgery

I'm almost finished with my requirements for my surgery center, and I have an appointment Monday so I will also ask then, but the nutritionist said that after surgery you can only take dissolvable Vitamins, no pills at all for (I think) a couple months while you heal. But what about current meds like thyroid supplements and blood pressure pills? Do they make an exception for that, or do you have to get prescriptions for some type of liquid replacement?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I worked with my PCP and pharmacist to identify solutions for each pill. For my BP meds, I had to switch to meds that were not extended release and crush them into applesauce (which was kind of horrific). For Glucophage, I was given a liquid version that I didn't actually ever end up taking because my diabetes resolved itself day of surgery. Capsules, I also had to empty into applesauce. At my 6 week checkup I was cleared to swallow pills & supplements - by that time, I was able to stop taking all but one of my prescriptions. Good luck!!

33 minutes ago, ChaosUnlimited said:

I'm almost finished with my requirements for my surgery center, and I have an appointment Monday so I will also ask then, but the nutritionist said that after surgery you can only take dissolvable Vitamins, no pills at all for (I think) a couple months while you heal. But what about current meds like thyroid supplements and blood pressure pills? Do they make an exception for that, or do you have to get prescriptions for some type of liquid replacement?

This is complete BS, because they have you continue to take all your regular meds. The rules for sleevers are not the same as the rules for RNY but these practices use a once size fits all approach.

You can take a regular Vitamin as long as it is high quality. I suggest a soft gel one, easier on your body and absorbed faster.

Making food addicts take Vitamins that taste like candy is idiotic.

They gave me a sample pack of the chewable and dissolvable Vitamins at my last appointment so I could try them and decide the flavors I want. Let me just say that they absolutely do not taste like candy! Especially the Iron, OMG, so nasty.

Maybe not every practice does this, but they require that at the final pre-op nutrition class you have your Protein to be checked off by the nutritionist and your post surgery vitamins or they don't clear you for surgery. (they also sell all that stuff there, but you don't have to buy theirs. However I compared prices and they don't mark them up so it's pretty convenient) I don't really care if I have to do chewables, it's for the short term then I can go back to taking pills.

I'm taking gall bladder meds for 6 mos post op. They must be opened and sprinkled in my Protein Drink (not on applesauce yet). Also my bp meds are crushed and added to one of my "shakes" each day. I can do a chewable Flintstone Vitamin, so have one of those twice/day.
good luck!!!

After my surgery I was told not to take any nonessential medicine for 2 weeks and then grind up the tablets and empty out the gel capsules and take with applesauce or a drink. I was also told not even to bother taking Vitamins for the first 2 weeks. I have to grind meds for 1month and break them up after that until Im on solid foods. Hope this helps!

9 hours ago, ChaosUnlimited said:

They gave me a sample pack of the chewable and dissolvable Vitamins at my last appointment so I could try them and decide the flavors I want. Let me just say that they absolutely do not taste like candy! Especially the Iron, OMG, so nasty.

Maybe not every practice does this, but they require that at the final pre-op nutrition class you have your Protein to be checked off by the nutritionist and your post surgery Vitamins or they don't clear you for surgery. (they also sell all that stuff there, but you don't have to buy theirs. However I compared prices and they don't mark them up so it's pretty convenient) I don't really care if I have to do chewables, it's for the short term then I can go back to taking pills.

Yeah, Chaos and I go to the same place, so I've tried the same sample pack. A few of them are passable, but it mostly is the equivalent of bubble gum flavored medicine. It tastes passable to swallow it. There's no mistaking it for candy.

I'm DREADING those berry flavored Celebrate ADEK vitamins they gave us. I could barely choke down one. To do that multiple times a day for months? PASS.

Not sure what meds you are on (not really my business) but when I was going to the classes and support group for being pre-op, we were told that we couldn't take any pills that were bigger than a regular m&m as anything bigger than that could get stuck and cause pain and issues.

anything worth doing is Never easy [emoji3]

I broke my BP medication up and popped them in whatever I was having. I was only on Clear Liquids for 3 days, then full liquids for a week. I would take a teaspoon of the liquid, mix it up and down it went. Not always nice but doable. Thyroid med's are tiny so should be okay (disclaimer- I'm not a Dr but that was okay for me). I had sublingual thyroid medication so I was fine anyway.

As for dissoluble Vitamins. I didn't care if they were caked in sugar, as long as I got them down I was happy. I have never been addicted to the dissoluble vitamins but did take them for 6 months as the normal vitamins made me puke and I have a fear of being sick. After 6 months I moved to tablets and was fine.

18 hours ago, ChaosUnlimited said:

I was told that I could swallow anything that was the size of a eraser tip. Or if they were bigger they would give me a liquid precription. In fact my Potassium was a huge pill, and my PCP ordered a liquid but beleiive me it was horrible and I just told them that I would wait to take it for awhile. It all worked out because I got rid of so many meds after my RNY. I used to tae 12 different meds, now I take 4 plus my Vitamins. I take 3 different meds for mym High Blood Pressure and 1 for my Thyroid. So much better than being on insulin 2 times a day, Cholestrial meds and Meteformin for my diabetes. Which I have been off since right after my RNY.

13 hours ago, jessgnc said:

Yeah, Chaos and I go to the same place, so I've tried the same sample pack. A few of them are passable, but it mostly is the equivalent of bubble gum flavored medicine. It tastes passable to swallow it. There's no mistaking it for candy.

I'm DREADING those berry flavored Celebrate ADEK Vitamins they gave us. I could barely choke down one. To do that multiple times a day for months? PASS.

I agree, I was anticipating a nice berry flavor and it was awful and hard to choke down. I saw online that they also have an orange flavor, I might see if I can get that one.

This is a little late, but this is my experience. I was told that I couldn't take anything that couldn't be crushed so two of my doctors changed meds from extended release to several times a day. One of those was my blood pressure med. In the hospital the mostly crushed them and added Water and I drank them. (YUCK.) I believe that included my blood pressure medication. At release the nurse went over my discharge orders and told me to discontinue the blood pressure med. She said that was odd because I had just taken it. I used my doctor's patient portal to ask about this and received a reply from someone other than my doctor. She said that if the orders said not to take it, don't. Some problems are cured by the surgery. Really? In just two days? Anyway, I haven't been taking it and I see my doctor tomorrow. We'll see what he says. Someone suggested that it could be because of the blood thinner that I have to use for now. I have no idea. I've felt okay (except when my teen had a tantrum and I felt my pressure go right up.)

Concerning Vitamins, I was told just to take B Complex at first.

On 4/5/2017 at 6:44 AM, jessgnc said:

I'm DREADING those berry flavored Celebrate ADEK Vitamins they gave us. I could barely choke down one. To do that multiple times a day for months? PASS.

I don't mind the Celebrate ADEK anymore- when I first started (prior to surgery BLEH!) but now...I guess I just miss chewing lol. I also do the mint quick dissolve b-12 I got both of those off this site.

On 4/5/2017 at 6:44 AM, jessgnc said:

I don't mind the Celebrate ADEK anymore- when I first started (prior to surgery BLEH!) but now...I guess I just miss chewing lol. I also do the mint quick dissolve b-12 I got both of those off this site.

I still hate the flavor and texture, but I've at least gotten used to it. I'll chew it up into small chunks, avoiding my tongue and immediately chase it with Water and a Calcium chew to get as little of the flavor as possible.

It's not ideal, but it works.