Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op VSG, gaining weight

And I'll be one month out monday

On 3/31/2017 at 4:43 AM, j15big said:

Hello,

I had VSG surgery on March 9th 2017. From the day of surgery to March 24th, I lost 12 lbs. From the 24th up until yesterday, I stayed the same. Then this morning I actually gained 1.5 lbs. I'm worried that I am eating too much and gaining so soon after surgery.

I started tracking calories yesterday and to my surprise, I was able to eat 1300 calories. From everything I read that sounds like too much. But I stuck to the diet and only ate when I was hungry. Yesterday I had a Protein Bar, Soup, ground beef and scrambled eggs.

I know weight fluctuates a few pounds for a normal person. I also know that it's possible to stall on your weight lost. But I'm worried that I'm actually gaining weight.

Is this something I should be worried about? Should I call my doctor?

Thanks!

@j15big: I was similar to you post-op. I lost about 13 pounds in my first 2 weeks post-op, then stalled for 3 weeks. Over those three weeks my weight would go up and down, usually between 1-2 pounds, almost daily (but never going below the "low" weight). Finally, my stall broke and I lost another 5 pounds. Then stalled. I just recently broke my 3rd stall. Now, I'm exactly 2 months out from surgery and have lost 30 pounds (54 in total including pre-op). Like you, I have almost no restriction. I can eat 2 eggs or 4 ounces of any meat (usually chicken or salmon) at one sitting, and still have room for some veggies. I recently flew to Germany and was given a very nice lean steak for my "diabetic" meal (I thought it would be the most bariatric diet friendly). I was able to eat most of it, I'm guessing around 4 ounces (that was one month post-op). Unlike other people's programs, my nutritionist recommended never going below 800 calories a day (not that counting calories is important) to avoid going into starvation mode. That said, regardless of how much I think I'm eating, the end result is that I usually stay between 8-900 calories a day, with over 100g of Protein (I let fat fall where it may). I have no problems eating Protein Bars, but try to avoid them - just use them for emergency situations.

I agree with the others though - your "food" in your daily sample seems to be a lot of artificial food - like the diet drinks and protein bars. Even though I drink one (sometimes 2) homemade Protein Shakes a day, my meals are always with real food - eggs for Breakfast, chicken for lunch, salmon for dinner (and veggies on the side for each). All other liquids are Water or herbal tea (I like mint tea because it's good hot or cold). Although I'm getting better at recognising when I feel full, it's not like how others mention here, feeling sick or nauseous or in pain. I try to be conscious that just because I don't feel these symptoms, that it's not necessarily good to keep on eating. Also, I try to finish eating within 20-25 minutes. If I can't, it probably means I have too much food and should save the rest for later. I don't really get hungry (only when I eat things I shouldn't, like protein bars), so I find that I can get by with eating less rather than mindlessly cleaning my plate while watching YouTube videos, which is how I got here in the first place.

Anyway...just my take from the peanut gallery. ;-)

Regarding apps - I LOVE Baritastic! It is specially meant for bariatric patients. It tracks everything - did, exercise, Water, Vitamins, measurements, etc. There is a timer for eating/drinking. You can run charts/graphs on everything - nutrition macros, weightloss, water intake, etc. It's the best thing ever!

I'm 4 days post op. My surgery was 4/3. I wasn't going to weigh myself until I go back to the dr for a 2 wk check up but this morning I decided to go ahead and do it - expecting to be down 4-5 lbs. I'm up 1.5 lbs!!! So frustrating. I'm doing Clear Liquids and I gained 1.5 lbs. UGH!!!

I understand your frustration. This has been happening to me. I'm almost 5 weeks post op and have been so disappointed in my weight loss. I also have found myself up a pound and slowly down. The dieticians do not prepare us for the types of weight losses and when we eat so little, it is natural to assume that we will lose more weight than we have ever before on previous diets. Not so!! I am not sure of the reason but the body does not respond that way. I am at the point where I take what I get, don't question it. Keep doing the program recommendations. A few days ago, I met a woman who had a bypass 5 years ago and she told me it was months before she had any results in losses. Also, if you did not have a high BMI to start, it will take longer I'm told. Watch the salt content on your liquids.

I'm 4 days post op. My surgery was 4/3. I wasn't going to weigh myself until I go back to the dr for a 2 wk check up but this morning I decided to go ahead and do it - expecting to be down 4-5 lbs. I'm up 1.5 lbs!!! So frustrating. I'm doing clear liquids and I gained 1.5 lbs. UGH!!!

Regarding apps - I LOVE Baritastic! It is specially meant for bariatric patients. It tracks everything - did, exercise, Water, Vitamins, measurements, etc. There is a timer for eating/drinking. You can run charts/graphs on everything - nutrition macros, weightloss, water intake, etc. It's the best thing ever!

That is probably just fluids from surgery. Many people see that they have gained close to 10 lbs. after surgery. Wait until about 2 weeks and that will be a better judgement on your wl.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, Dianeo said:

I'm 4 days post op. My surgery was 4/3. I wasn't going to weigh myself until I go back to the dr for a 2 wk check up but this morning I decided to go ahead and do it - expecting to be down 4-5 lbs. I'm up 1.5 lbs!!! So frustrating. I'm doing Clear  liquids and I gained 1.5 lbs. UGH!!!

I left the hospital 8-10 pounds UP! So it may be Fluid from surgery and you may actually HAVE lost weight, but it doesn't seem that way. I weigh myself every day. So it wasn't until about day 5that I was actually lower then before surgery.

Weight can fluctuate 3lbs +/- so unless it keeps climbing don't get too shook over it.. But my doctor wanted my calories around 800 I feel like just because you can eat it doesn't mean you should be! I keep my calories around 1000 daily.. I've lost 65#s since surgery 11/22/16.. I've had stalls in the too which was frustrating but everyone goes through those.. Anyways def keep your carbs down make sure you get at least 60 grams of protein.. And watch those calories.. Good luck!

Munky

My husband and I both had the sleeve surgery exactly one month apart - I'm 6 weeks out and can eat up to 1200 calories but get full fast and still nothing truly solid. He's only 2 weeks out and can eat just as much as me, if not more and progressing faster than I did. We're both losing, but of course he's losing much faster than me. At his follow up yesterday I asked the doctor why my husband can fit more in than I could at his point and the doctor responded "everyone is different, there's no exact science - you just have to listen to your body and figure out what works best for you". Congratulations on your decision and good luck on your journey.

My husband and I both had the sleeve surgery exactly one month apart - I'm 6 weeks out and can eat up to 1200 calories but get full fast and still nothing truly solid. He's only 2 weeks out and can eat just as much as me, if not more and progressing faster than I did. We're both losing, but of course he's losing much faster than me. At his follow up yesterday I asked the doctor why my husband can fit more in than I could at his point and the doctor responded "everyone is different, there's no exact science - you just have to listen to your body and figure out what works best for you". Congratulations on your decision and good luck on your journey.

That seems like a lot of carories

I understand your frustration. This has been happening to me. I'm almost 5 weeks post op and have been so disappointed in my weight loss. I also have found myself up a pound and slowly down. The dieticians do not prepare us for the types of weight losses and when we eat so little, it is natural to assume that we will lose more weight than we have ever before on previous diets. Not so!! I am not sure of the reason but the body does not respond that way. I am at the point where I take what I get, don't question it. Keep doing the program recommendations. A few days ago, I met a woman who had a bypass 5 years ago and she told me it was months before she had any results in losses. Also, if you did not have a high BMI to start, it will take longer I'm told. Watch the salt content on your liquids.

If you are sticking to your program then you are doing everything you can do. The rest is up to your body.

I left the hospital 8-10 pounds UP! So it may be Fluid from surgery and you may actually HAVE lost weight, but it doesn't seem that way. I weigh myself every day. So it wasn't until about day 5that I was actually lower then before surgery.

My bariatric head nurse said that their program recommends not weighing every day because weight fluctuates on a daily basis. And definitely not the day you leave the hospital. The swelling and gas from the surgery almost always results in a higher weight than you had before going into surgery. It was discouraging a lot of people so they stopped weighing and said to wait until the 2 week checkup to check weight. Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey!