Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op VSG, gaining weight

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:07 AM, j15big said:

Here is yesterday and the day before. Note that "purple bowl" I had to manually add so it doesn't have any info except for calories. Also, one of the days I had two Protein bars which now I know is a bad choice.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 2.04.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 2.04.31 PM.png

Thanks for this @j15big - could you please tell me which app/tracking tool this is? looks really good!

Edited by ma08

4 hours ago, ma08 said:

Thanks for this @j15big - could you please tell me which app/tracking tool this is? looks really good!

I would like to know as well - it seems like a good tool

On 3/31/2017 at 4:07 PM, j15big said:

Here is yesterday and the day before. Note that "purple bowl" I had to manually add so it doesn't have any info except for calories. Also, one of the days I had two Protein bars which now I know is a bad choice.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 2.04.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 2.04.31 PM.png

I missed this thread last week.

First I want to say that it is really nice to have someone actually post what they are eating. It is really helpful.

What app is this? I am guessing My Fitness Pal because the nutritional information is all wrong. The calories on the ground beef seems low, depending on how lean it is.

HOW CAN YOU EAT 6 OUNCES OF BAKED chicken? !?!!??! i can't eat 6 ounces of baked chicken at almost 2 years. I would have to eat it in 2 sittings, and if you are doing that, cool, but I could have never at 3 weeks,

I also don't understand how you can eat Quest bars that early. I had issues with them even at 3 months, although I have noticed the new formula (the change it like every 6 months) is a lot softer.

I think you are underestimating your calories, and your portions, unless you are dividing them into 2 meals are just too large.

1000-1300 calories isn't the issue, neither is your "lack of activity" as other people have said. The Quest bars give them up, that is too many carbs in a day. Give up the diet tea too. The fake sweeteners in those alone will make you stall out. Carbs also make your liver larger, so just eating a lot carbs can make you gain Water weight.

All I ever did really to lose my weight was walk. If you walk 10-20 minutes 2x a day the first 6 weeks, that is good. The point is to heal, not lose weight, and not to over exercise. Being active is enough.

TLDR

Drop the Protein Bars, swap them for Premier or other low carb Protein Shakes

Giive up the Ground beef

Keep your calories to 200-250 at a time 5 times a day

Limit your Protein (chicken, fish, whatever) to 3 ounces at a time,

Keep your net carbs 0-25

Walk every day.

Also are you using a scale to weigh your food? You are either over or under estimating it and I am not sure which. Scale, not measuring cups or spoons. Scale. Only a scale is going to be accurate, everything else is a guesstimate.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

The latest post to this is one of the best! ever. Thanks so much. I agree with so much of what you commented on. I'm at 5 weeks and am not "allowed" by my team to have any type of Protein bars or any flour products whatsoever. And 5 ouncess of chicken would put me in the Emergency Room. I am still at a stall, not using the scale any more because it really makes me crazy. I go for a check up next week and will get weighed at the surgery center. Also, I love to walk and it is my form of exercise. So good for so many reasons. I simply do not have the strength, given the small amounts of food that I eat, to do strenuous exercise and am still afraid of hurting instead of healing. Thanks!

If I'm being honest here, I'm almost 2 weeks out and have NO problem eating 4 oz of cod (allowed by my team) and I just had hummus (also allowed) and had almost 1/2 cup with no pain, no over fullness or ill affects. I just stopped eating it bc I got nervous and don't want to push it. I definilty feel full and don't want any more food, but I pretty much decided to stop eating just out of my personal judgement.

Granted, I eat VERY slow. Like over 20-30 min period. And chew A LOT. But I definilty don't feel the restriction that others do...even others who are far out.

I wonder why? I know that everyone is different, but would it vary from person to person?

I am losing weight, 8 pounds in 12 days (14 if you count the 6pounds I put on during the hospital stay - sooo puffy with the fluids) and I do keep my carbs super low. But I just wonder why I don't feel so constricted like others.

@VSG4Mag

Cod, any white fish turns to mush in your mouth, yeah you can easily eat 4 ounces of it.

That is how I transitioned off shakes to all real food, fish was really easy to eat and process especially if you bake it and it is very moist,

Honestly a lot of people have issues with food and have a lot of restriction because they aren't eating and drinking. You have to use your sleeve for it be usable. If you don't drink all day early on and don't make efforts at eating because you think it hurts, then people just let the swelling get out of control. Then they can't eat.

Even now, if I go a day or 2 without eat, (sick with other issues allergies whatever), My restriction goes tight and I have to work my capacity back up.

I have to be able to "eat" and drink before I could leave the hospital, so in less than 24 hours post op, I had a 4 ounce Protein Shake, some Jello, tea, and a few spoonfuls of broth. My program will NOT send you home if you cannot keep food down. They will not send you home to starve and dehydrate like some of these programs. Eating in the hospital with the support of the staff took a lot of the fear away about eating. Knowing that I could eat that soon post op and it was not only okay but encouraged helped a lot.

3 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

@VSG4Mag

Cod, any white fish turns to mush in your mouth, yeah you can easily eat 4 ounces of it.

That is how I transitioned off shakes to all real food, fish was really easy to eat and process especially if you bake it and it is very moist,

Honestly a lot of people have issues with food and have a lot of restriction because they aren't eating and drinking. You have to use your sleeve for it be usable. If you don't drink all day early on and don't make efforts at eating because you think it hurts, then people just let the swelling get out of control. Then they can't eat.

Even now, if I go a day or 2 without eat, (sick with other issues allergies whatever), My restriction goes tight and I have to work my capacity back up.

I have to be able to "eat" and drink before I could leave the hospital, so in less than 24 hours post op, I had a 4 ounce Protein shake, some Jello, tea, and a few spoonfuls of broth. My program will NOT send you home if you cannot keep food down. They will not send you home to starve and dehydrate like some of these programs. Eating in the hospital with the support of the staff took a lot of the fear away about eating. Knowing that I could eat that soon post op and it was not only okay but encouraged helped a lot.

Yes. My program required that too. First I had an hour to drink 8 oz. then an hour to drink 16 oz. then an hour to drink some Protein Shake and Jello, but they didn't need me to finish it, just tolerate it.

I definilty like my shakes and that I can get 30 oz of Protein to start my day. I either go for 8oz Water, then 30-40 min later I drink my shake or I reverse it but wait an hour before I start my water. But I don't want to rely on shakes for my nutrition, that's why (although i was reluctant) I started fish within a few days post surgery. I want to eat as clean as possible and while the shakes are great, they are full of stuff/sweeteners that I'd like to avoid.

I also promised myself that I would stick to the rules and I make it my job to keep hydrated and get my protein first. I just figured I'd. Have more of a problem doing it. It was really hard that first few days, but yesterday I actually had 100 gems of protein. I thought that was a little much, but it was a long day and there were so many temptations that I avoided, so I had a second shake to keep me in line :)

I think 100 grams of Protein a day is great. It is how I can wear a size 8 at over 180 pounds, I am mostly muscle!

I also noticed your Protein amounts are high. I'm 13wks out and am lucky if I can get 4oz of meat in a setting. Most of my meals consist of 4-5 ounces total, usually 3oz of a meat and 1-2 ounces of a veggie. 6-7 ounces in a setting seems like a lot.
I would try measuring your food. My NUT said at this point my meal should be no larger than 5 ounces total so I measure everything.

I'm seven weeks out and I can't get but a few spoons of purée meats in and only one spoon of carrots if I'm lucky and I just started drinking a whole premise protein in one day instead of 3 days! But I am getting all of my Water in a day plus I do water aerobics everyday and water Zumba on Thursdays!

On 4/4/2017 at 10:34 PM, caddygirl said:

I'm seven weeks out and I can't get but a few spoons of purée meats in and only one spoon of carrots if I'm lucky and I just started drinking a whole premise Protein in one day instead of 3 days! But I am getting all of my Water in a day plus I do Water aerobics everyday and water Zumba on Thursdays!

Wow! That's crazy. How are you surviving??? I'm 2 weeks out and had 4oz fish, 2 Premier Protein shakes, a yogurt and 3 oz of cheese today. And drank like 80 oz of water.

I haven't had that much at home, I'm at Disney this week and have been going for 8 hours a day at the parks in the heat while pushing 75+ pounds in a stroller.

But at home 4-7 oz of fish & 2 shakes is average for me.

I try to get at least 70gm protein.

Wow! That's crazy. How are you surviving??? I'm 2 weeks out and had 4oz fish, 2 Premier Protein shakes, a yogurt and 3 oz of cheese today. And drank like 80 oz of Water.
I haven't had that much at home, I'm at Disney this week and have been going for 8 hours a day at the parks in the heat while pushing 75+ pounds in a stroller.
But at home 4-7 oz of fish & 2 shakes is average for me.
I try to get at least 70gm Protein.

I can't consume that much in a day! Lol when I fill full I stop eating! I'm really trying to work on 2 premier shakes a day! But one fills me up for hours!

I was able to get in one egg, one premier shake, and one drumstick yesterday. I struggled with that!