Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op VSG, gaining weight

Hello,

I had VSG surgery on March 9th 2017. From the day of surgery to March 24th, I lost 12 lbs. From the 24th up until yesterday, I stayed the same. Then this morning I actually gained 1.5 lbs. I'm worried that I am eating too much and gaining so soon after surgery.

I started tracking calories yesterday and to my surprise, I was able to eat 1300 calories. From everything I read that sounds like too much. But I stuck to the diet and only ate when I was hungry. Yesterday I had a Protein Bar, Soup, ground beef and scrambled eggs.

I know weight fluctuates a few pounds for a normal person. I also know that it's possible to stall on your weight lost. But I'm worried that I'm actually gaining weight.

Is this something I should be worried about? Should I call my doctor?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what your doctor is allowing at this point as far as your diet (since every doctor is different), but at 3 weeks post op I couldn't have eaten the ground beef or the Protein Bar because I wouldn't have been able to get it down. I was eating soft foods during that stage. At 3 months out now, I'm eating 800-1000 calories daily, sometimes more if I'm walking long distances. My suggestion would be to watch your carbs, try to keep them under 20-25, and go for lean meats like chicken and fish. I live off grilled mahi fish tacos now, using smart carb tortillas (only 4 grams a serving). I wouldn't worry about the gain but I would for sure watch your calories at this early on and make sure you are advancing at the rate your doctor advises. Also you shouldn't be hungry that early on, it's possible you are experiencing acid in your stomach so you might consider talking with your doctor about a PPI or Zantac. Good luck to you!

3 minutes ago, Mandybb said:

I'm not sure what your doctor is allowing at.....

Thank you for the information. I'm actually quite surprised at what I am able to eat. Both by the fact that I can handle it without much issue and also by the fact that my doctor OKd it. I looked at my fitness pal from yesterday and it said I had 45 g of carbs. Maybe that's the problem.

I'll keep a closer eye on my carb intake and see if I can switch to chicken instead of ground beef.

I guess my biggest worry is that I am able to eat enough to gain weight. I thought this early on I wouldn't even be hungry.

Does acid in your stomach have something to do with how hungry you are? I did have an irritated esophagus according to the doctor that may have been caused by acid, so you might be right about the acid in the stomach.

I havent lost any more since few days but I know I'm not getting more than 500-600 cals, that's hard but try exercising also

1 minute ago, Deactivatedfatgal said:

I havent lost any more since few days but I know I'm not getting more than 500-600 cals, that's hard but try exercising also

I was waiting for the 1 month restriction to start exercising, but I think I am going to go for a bike ride after work today.

I think you need to get in to talk to your nutritionist asap.

When I was at 12 weeks post op, my nutritionist said my calories needed to be around 700-750 a day. That was at 12 weeks, and you are only 3 weeks post op. You are getting in way too many calories for where you are at post op right now. I am 4 and a half months out and eat 800 calories a day.

Also, keeping the carbs down will help. I agree that lean meats like fish and chicken would be best right now.

Protein Bars may not be the best choice as most of them are high in calories.

Lean meats and NON starchy vegetables are your best choice. I also like to keep my Protein up around 100 grams a day. The higher protein, the fuller you will feel. The more carbs you eat, the hungrier you will be.

Your nutritionist could really help guide you and show you some good things right now.

1 hour ago, j15big said:

I was waiting for the 1 month restriction to start exercising, but I think I am going to go for a bike ride after work today.

They won't let you exercise until 1 month?

My doc said I must exercise starting day 3. No lifting over 10 pounds, but definitely do cardio- walking, treadmill, elliptical, etc

I am 1 week out and hungry- lol we are probably that 20% who don't lose their appetite 🙄 But I'm resisting! I hit my Protein and Water goals so I'm trying to tough it out. I'll give in to a Protein Shake or 1/2 of one later if I'm still hungry

I have a great app that is good for tracking food, carbs, calories, water intake and exercise. Also tracks your weight and bmi, etc. it's so easy. I erased the other apps that didn't seem user friendly.

Baritastic Is the app. Try it. It

definitly switch to ground turkey or chicken. Maybe some vegetarian re-fried Beans.

I've been eating fish (cod and Talapia -steamed). Tons of protein, low fat and low calorie...and filling.

My doc said I can have cottage cheese and scrambled eggs and soft steamed fish right from the day I left the hospital. I too was surprised, but he said that's fine. And they are a well known NYC practice. I was too scared to eat mushy stuff so soon so I stuck to liquids for the first few days and eat tiny amounts.

Edited by VSG4Mag
Typo/spelling error

4 minutes ago, VSG4Mag said:

My doc said I must exercise starti.....

Thank you for the information. I should clarify. They said I could walk, but I assumed no "vigorous" exercise until I was fully healed.

I am a bit bummed to see that I still have my appetite. However, it is comforting knowing I am not alone.

Your doctor sounds like mine with the eating. I was very surprised to read online that some people do liquids for weeks. I had no problem with scrambled eggs a week after leaving the hospital, with my doctor's approval.

I'll check out that app.

I also emailed my nutritionist and told her my concerns, we will see what she says.

I was actually UP about 8 pounds right after my surgery. I'm happy to say that a week later that plus some more is off of me.

I was VERY swollen and retained so much. I could barely go to the bathroom bc of the anesthesia, so once I was up and about and getting fluids in normally, I lost the extra Fluid.

18 hours ago, VSG4Mag said:

My doc said I must exercise starting day 3. No lifting over 10 pounds, but definitely do cardio- walking, treadmill, elliptical, etc

I wasn't allowed to exercise beyond walking till 12 weeks.

10 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

I wasn't allowed to exercise beyond walking till 12 weeks.

It's crazy how different the protocols can be from doctor to doctor.

Mine says by day 2 you can have soft and mashies. I was too scared. I week out I have full fluids and a few small servings 2-4 oz of soft and mushy (Greek yogurt, scrambled egg, steamed cod).

But they literally said "go to the gym" get on the treadmill or the elliptical and keep moving. Which I was surprised about. But I've been ok. I'm not killing myself of course, moderate speed and a few 5-15 min intervals. I've done 25 minutes and I felt great.

But with all of my researching I was prepared for 5-7 days of clear Fluid, then a week or 2 on full fluids before hitting the mushy stage. I'm glad though that this is ok. I'm not a fan of all the artificial sweeteners that are in my Protein Shakes. I want to eat as clean as possible once I can get off of the shakes.

Happy to say that this morning I am down 1.5lbs. I ate about 1000 calories yesterday and kept my carbs around 30. Still working on getting that to 25 a day.

I spoke to my dietician and she said not to count calories, instead just eat my Protein first and to have a Protein Shake for one meal a day until I see her.

When I was 3 weeks out I was on a pureed diet and moved onto soft solids at 4 weeks post op. I did stall for about 10 days and I would fluctuate up and down about a pound. I just kept what I was doing and the stall broke with a 5 pound loss in one day.

That being said 1300 calories seems like a lot at 3 weeks out. I'm currently 13 weeks out at getting between 800-1100 depending on the activity for the day. I average about 900 calories a day on a normal day. My NUT did not have my up my calories until I was on solid food, regular diet at 8 weeks. I went from 500-600 to 700-800 and now at 12weeks I went up to 800-1000.

Also Protein bars were a no no until I was on regular food. My NUT preferred me to be getting my protein supplement from shakes early on.

As for Carbs my program must be generous because they say if you chose to count keep it under 65 grams. I don't pay super close attention to carbs more to calories and protein. I've lost 39 pounds in 3 months, 69 since my consult.