Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Medicine

Big Medicine is truly an inspriation!

The episode with Garth's sister is actually what prompted me to investigate, learn, and book my lapband surgery. I went racing to the computer after the show and was lit on fire about the procedure. Of course, I freaked about what happened to her, and since I live at least 6 hours from a band surgeon, it took a lot of learning to see how uncommon her situation was and how to try and prevent it. It also showed how a competent doc can fix a blockage, and fix it fast. IMO, her doc should be fired!

That said, I contacted Garth about the band, got his rates, but got held up on how long he'd want me in town after surgery, and that they would not do the surgery unless I could commit to returning once a month for 6 months. EXCELLENT followup, but impossible for me to travel from CO to Texas that often. At that point, my hunt began.

I will credit that show for my banding decision!

I will say that I think they should talk more (for the watching public) about the extreme risks of bypass..they make it look so easy!

It's awesome!

Can't wait till next season!

I'm addicted to this show too! I'm also VERY hooked on "Plastic Surgeries: Before & After". Damn you, TiVo!

Arria, I was so excited to hear you got banded by Dr. Davis. I also owe my decsision for lapband to that show. can you give us fans any tips you have received and how was the experience. were you given the option to be on the show?

Garth's sister had a too tight band and could not even swollow Water. after many attempts by a ER Dr. she traveled to her the father/brother center and had saline removed. she must have gotten picked at least a dozen times from ER and both Big D and Garth were very upset

SC

Actually, I'm not too sure what happened to his sister was THAT uncommon. She had had a fill something like 3 weeks before and everything had been fine. Then all of a sudden she couldn't even drink Water. Everything got stuck. It is not uncommon for there to be a "delayed" reaction after a fill....about 2 weeks or more into it. That's one reason why they space them apart about a month or so. After watching that show, I made a decision to get my 4th fill (which was only a "top off" to the sweet spot) a little earlier because I was going out of town on vacation for a week to the west coast and wanted to have the fill "settled" before or by the time I left, just in case there was any delayed reaction. The nurse at my doctor's office also commented that some people have delayed reactions with their fills. I would doubt that all of them get to the point that Garth's sister's did. Hers closed completely up....but some people can notice a change in the restriction several weeks after their fill.

I've caught the show a time or two myself an enjoyed it. I keep forgetting when it's on though so I miss it or it coincides with shows my whole family watches. No Tivo in this house.

I didn't know about the sister...but I can tell you for one...a band that is too tight is NO fun. I had a fill in April and drank fine in the office. By the time I got home and all that night I couldn't swallow my own spit! I kept PBing on my own saliva it was aweful but, my doc saw me right away the next day. Thank goodness. He took some saline out and I did fine.....I think I aggravated my stomach though because I suffered from Acid reflux from that point on. I had it so bad I woke up from a dead sleep feeling like I was drowning..finally in July he took out all but .75cc of saline. Had to take time to heal...now it's time to try again because I can eat way too much UGH.

Sherry, I had that exact same thing happen to me. It's pretty freaky so have stuff come up when you're sound asleep.

When is Big Medicine coming back? I really miss that show!

I love the show too. It started on TV last Spring. I was banded in July. They've shown 2 or 3 people that are being banded. It was very educational for me to watch. I didn't know yet about LBT so that was my pre-surgery education in addition to going to a pre-surgery seminar.

I like how they show people who get plastic surgery too. It really covers the entire transition for some people that were very large.

I look forward to seeing updates too.

Well worth tivoing, or dvr'ing.

When is Big Medicine coming back? I really miss that show!

I went to one of their informational sessions a few weeks ago and Dr. Robert said the new season starts airing in January (he didn't give a specific date). They were soliciting applicants for the show before the session started. If this one guy who was there makes it onto the show, his storyline is gonna be a hoot because he has BIG personality.

BIG MEDICINE Season 2 on TLC

Premieres January 9th 10pm EST/10pm PST/9pm CST

TLC’s hit show is back for its second season! Big Medicine returns with bigger and better stories than ever as individuals undertake drastic measures to take a bite out of their obesity. From a previously 1000lb man looking to take his first step in 7 years, to a devastated mother looking to complete her weight loss transformation after losing her daughter to suicide, the stories captivate, and inspire. We’ll see how obesity affects people’s sex lives, relationships and changes marriages forever. Tears will be shed, smiles will be shared, and hope will be instilled as Big Medicine proves there is light at the end of everyone’s tunnel!

I'm a lover too!! If I could have, I'd have tried to hunt down Dr. Garth to do mine!!!! I can't wait for the next season. No one seems to know when it starts...

Gosh, I love that show. It was on my discovery health channel. I saw on here that it's going to be on TLC channel next week. I am setting my satillite for it so I won't forget. I just love Garth. The dr that did my lapband surgery went to school with him.

I LOVE THAT SHOW! I think Garth is soo cute. His sister had the lapband done. There was an episode where she had to fly down to Houston to see Garth to get an unfill, because no one up in Ohio could do it for her. Her doc had told her to go to the ER, and they poked her 8 times trying to access her port!(she had bad aftercare) He did it in like 2 min. She said she felt soo much better. Immediate relief!:whoo: