Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Moly- Nervous/2-week Diet/ Ahhhh!

Hi all- I think the pre-op diet may be getting easier. I am on day 4. Yesterday I actually wasn't as hungry and obsessing on food as much. I am definitely getting full faster due to I am sure my stomach is shrinking. I have lost 6 1/2 pounds. I am sure some of that is Water weight though. Now I don't drink anything else but Water, and I am having a hard time making myself drink the water. I am finding I am starting to feel thirsty and crave the water, so I think that may be improving too.

CUTEYPIE123- you have your surgery two days before mine. I will be anxious to hear how it goes. How are you feeling after a few days on pre-op diet?

KYGAL- good for you on turning down the pizza! Did you tell the neighbor about the surgery to explain not eating the pizza or having the beer?

Littlecjh- don't give up. It will be worth all the hassle once you get that approval. :)

Hi Carrot,

I start my pre-op diet on the 5th. Yes, yes, yes, I too am nervous about the whole thing like you. I am so afraid that I am going to miss food. Isn't that crazy? I guess it shows how important a part food plays in my life. Let me know how it goes. Good luck. --Fluffyinks.

How are you all doing on the pre-op? I swear- after that first 3 days it has gotten sooo much better. I have been eating less and less the closer I get to surgery. All of this Protein and no carbs besides what is in fruits, vegetables, and chicken are really causing me to not have the cravings. I have lost 8 1/2 pounds so far.

Hi, this is the first time I'm posting and I swear I could have written exactly what you wrote carrot06!

My surgery is in 6 hrs and I can't sleep. Not sure what all you had to do for your pre-op, I had to do liquids for 2 days. First day was awful with a raging headache, second day not so bad. Now it's here and I can't believe it.

I'm excited, nervous, very scared I won't be able to do what I'm supposed to do afterwards and everything else you described. I'm really glad I opened this up because I thought I was the only one feeling this way.

I will be in the hospital until Friday and will post again as soon as I can. Thanks!

Well I am day 12 of my 3 optifasts a day. I am still hanging in there. I did cheat yesterday and had a small bowl of creamed Soup as I was out with the girls for lunch. I could have had a salad but the thought of having something savory and hot-overtook me. The calorie count was probably the same and I am sick to death of sweet. I can't believe how well I am doing though. Whenever I think of the surgery, my stomack gets so tied up. I want this part over with, I am afraid I will chicken out at the last minute.

I start my 14 day liquid diet tommorow, but I have already supplemented Breakfast with a Protein Shake. It is going to be a lot harder then we all expected but it will be worth it! Why are we doing the surgery anyways? To lose weight and be healthy. I look at the pre-op diet as a test for us to prove that we can survive without all of the junk food. I will be posting as the journey goes on....... It is nice to meet everyone!

Well it sounds like you should be banded by this point. I really hope everything went well for you. I am sure it did, and you are on your way to a new life! Let us know how it was, what to expect, pain, etc. when you feel up to it. I am rooting for you and a speedy recovery!

:)

Hi guys

I am terrified of the pre op diet, let alone what will have to get dealt with post op.

I know how desperate I want the end result, I just don't know if I am strong enough to cope through all this.

I have very sketchy instructions re the diet. I rang my surgeon today to double check as he said "you probably won't need to do optifast". So I got the letter and it doesn't mention it. His secretary seemed surprised, and contacted him, and he said, well "if she can tolerate it that would be good".

What does this mean?

I have to just have Optifast? I can just diet and cut out lots?

The anaesthetist secretary seemed surprised I wasn't already on it, although its not two weeks preop yet.

Has anyone else info on this vague instruction from their surgeon?

Coo- I know you can make it through the pre-op diet. The first 2 1/2-3 days were rough. But it gets better after that. Due to the kinds of things eating, I started to lose most of the cravings, be hungery less, and want to eat less and less often. I would recommend that you call your surgeon and get specific instruction on the pre-op diet- exactly what you should and shouldn't eat and how much. My program has a dietician that gives you a list of what you can eat and how much. I have to do it for two weeks. From the boards I can see different doctors vary on what kind of pre-op diet required. Make sure and right away get the exact specifics so you will be ready for sugery. :)

I am on day 2 of my 2 week liquid diet and last night was horrible I thought my sugar was dropping I felt so bad. I woke up this morning and felt great and i am not even hungry.It all depends on the person. Some people it takes a day some it takes a few more. Just remember why we are here!:)

Hi everyone,

I was banded 10-3 and am now home. It's all been very interesting. Thanks for your positive message carrot06. I'm on liquids for 2 weeks - until the 17th but I'm not hungry at all which is very foreign to me. It's such a relief to not feel hungry all the time.

I have had minimal pain and my port site doesn't hurt at all however the nurse at my doctor's office assured me it will eventually.

I can already feel a difference. I'm trying really hard not to be obsessed on the scale but I just had to weigh and I've already lost almost 10 lbs. I realize it's all Water weight and I can definately tell because I don't feel swollen and bloated anymore.

It feels strange in my chest - like there's pressure and I need to burp. I've been assured this is from the fact that my hiatal hernia was repaired so that's causing inflammation and my lap band is just below that.

I am so looking forward to this journey and have been very inspired by what I'm seeing on this site.

I wish you all well.

cope1951- I was glad to see you posted and are doing well. I think that not hunrgy feeling is something we all are looking forward to. I am happy you aren't in much pain. Keep us updated on your progress- so glad for you.