Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frightened Of The Fills!

:help: I AM DUE TO HAVE MY FIRST FILL ON OCT19TH EVEN THOUGH I MOANED BECAUSE IT,S TWO WEEKS LATE, AND I KNOW THAT FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE IT TAKES A FEW FILLS BEFORE THEY FEEL ANY RESTRICTION, I AM STILL FRIGHTENED THAT WHEN I GET RESTRICTION I WON,T BE ABLE TO HAVE A HEALTHY BALANCED DIET:hungry:

SEEMS LOTS OF YOU HAVE PROBS WITH meat, salad, bread, RICE, Pasta AND I KNOW IT,S DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE BUT I,M WORRIED THAT CO,S I WILL BE EATING SUCH SMALL MEALS I WON,T GET ALL THE NUTRICIOAN I NEED, I DO TAKE Multi Vitamins AS WELL.

SO HOW DO YOU GUYS COPE? :help:

Hon.... bread, rice and Pasta do not a nutritional meal make!! You need 80-100 grams Protein, dark green veggies (low carbs), good quality Vitamins and Calcium and at least 64 oz of water/day If you get that, you will be healthy, wealthy and wise.....well, healthy, anyhow!! Most white carbs are refined and processed and add little nutritional value to your body . Eliminating them also helps eliminate cravings and balance your blood sugar. You're going to be okay.

Are you honestly worried about nutrition or are you worried that you will miss quantities of food? It takes a surprisingly small amount of food to get basic nutrition in. Fiber is what is a challenge for most of us, not nutrition.

bread, rice, Pasta, Cookies, candy, sugar, ... none of that stuff is good for you and contains nothing you need but you've been eating it for years, true? :peep:

THANKS GAYLE AND WASABUBBLEBUT FOR YOUR COMMENTS, YOU ARE BOTH ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT. I AM HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING MY HEAD ROUND THE AMOUNT OF food I AM NOW EATING COMPARED TO WHAT I USED TO EAT. I,M OK WITH THE AMOUNT I,M EATING NOW I DON,T GET THAT HUNGRY EVEN THOUGH I HAVN,T HAD A FILL YET, IT,S PROB PSYCHOLOGICAL CO,S IN THE PAST I HAVE LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT WITH SLIMMING WORLD I USED TO BE A CONSULTANT WITH TWO CLASSES OF MY OWN...! (WHAT WENT WRONG!) SO I KNOW ABOUT REFINED SUGARS AND SUCH AND HAVE EATEN WHOLEMEAL bread, WHOLEWHEAT Pasta AND BROWN RICE FOR YEARS, BUT STILL IN LARGE AMOUNTS. :hungry:SO ONCE I GET TO GRIPS WITH THE IDEA THAT I ONLY NEED A SMALL AMOUNT OF GOOD CHOICE NUTRIONALLY BALANCED FOOD I WILL BE FINE, :peep: THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT, REGARDING THE 64 OZ OF Water MENTIONED , ALL MY ADULT LIFE I HAVE BEEN AN ADVOCATE OF DRINKING WATER, I DON,T DRINK TEA OR COFFE JUST WARM WATER, (OR ALCOHOL...LOL ) BUT SERIOUSLY I THINK IT IS SOOO GOOD FOR YOU IN MANY WAYS. YET WHEN I ASKED MY DOC ABOUT HOW MUCH I SHOULD BE DRINKING HE JUST SAID "DRINK WHEN YOU ARE THIRSTY" HE SAID "THE BODY IS A VERY COMPLEX AND CAPABLE MACHINE THAT WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU NEED TO DRINK" WHAT,S THAT ABOUT? I THOUGHT ALL DOCS WERE KEEN FOR US TO DRINK MORE WATER?:rolleyes

WHEN I WAS TRAINED FOR S/W WE WERE TOLD TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DRINK WATER AND THAT HOW SOMETIMES WHEN WE THINK WE ARE HUNGRY WE ARE ACTUALLY THIRSTY. I KNOW I GET HEADACHES IF I AM DEYHDRATED. SO I AM GONNA CARRY ON SIPPING LOTS OF WATER.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT, REGARDING THE 64 OZ OF Water MENTIONED , ALL MY ADULT LIFE I HAVE BEEN AN ADVOCATE OF DRINKING Water, I DON,T DRINK TEA OR COFFE JUST WARM WATER, (OR ALCOHOL...LOL ) BUT SERIOUSLY I THINK IT IS SOOO GOOD FOR YOU IN MANY WAYS. YET WHEN I ASKED MY DOC ABOUT HOW MUCH I SHOULD BE DRINKING HE JUST SAID "DRINK WHEN YOU ARE THIRSTY" HE SAID "THE BODY IS A VERY COMPLEX AND CAPABLE MACHINE THAT WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU NEED TO DRINK" WHAT,S THAT ABOUT? I THOUGHT ALL DOCS WERE KEEN FOR US TO DRINK MORE WATER?:rolleyes

WHEN I WAS TRAINED FOR S/W WE WERE TOLD TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DRINK WATER AND THAT HOW SOMETIMES WHEN WE THINK WE ARE HUNGRY WE ARE ACTUALLY THIRSTY. I KNOW I GET HEADACHES IF I AM DEYHDRATED. SO I AM GONNA CARRY ON SIPPING LOTS OF WATER.

DRINK ON Lainee! Drink on!!!!!! :cocktail:

There should never be any doubt in your mind about the health benefits of drinking water.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT, REGARDING THE 64 OZ OF Water MENTIONED , ALL MY ADULT LIFE I HAVE BEEN AN ADVOCATE OF DRINKING Water, I DON,T DRINK TEA OR COFFE JUST WARM WATER, (OR ALCOHOL...LOL ) BUT SERIOUSLY I THINK IT IS SOOO GOOD FOR YOU IN MANY WAYS. YET WHEN I ASKED MY DOC ABOUT HOW MUCH I SHOULD BE DRINKING HE JUST SAID "DRINK WHEN YOU ARE THIRSTY" HE SAID "THE BODY IS A VERY COMPLEX AND CAPABLE MACHINE THAT WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU NEED TO DRINK" WHAT,S THAT ABOUT? I THOUGHT ALL DOCS WERE KEEN FOR US TO DRINK MORE WATER?:rolleyes

Last week on Oprah, Dr. Oz was on the show and doing some "myth busters" if you will. They did a case study on two twin women and gave one of them water (8 oz every hour, totaling 64 oz) and the other twin got no water. The end result was that both of their vitals and Vitamin levels, body readings & functionality were the same. Dr. Oz explained that we don't need as much water as we think bc the body gets water from food. And the required amount to keep the body going is much less than previously thought.

I am still for drinking a lot of water. If anything, it helps curb hunger!

HI EVERYONE AND THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS. TULIPSTAR, VERY INTERESTING STUDY YOU SAW ON OPRAH ABOUT THE Water ISSUE MAYBE MY DOC NOT SO DAFT:think (ONLY JOKING DR ASHTON)...LOL

I HAVE ALWAYS DRUNK LOTS OF WATER AND IT HELPS ME STAVE OFF HUNGER TOO THOUGH THANKFULLY THAT,S NOT AN ISSUE AT THE MOMENT. PLUS I HAVE TO GO TO THE LOO A LOT SO ALL THE RUNNING UP AND DOWN STAIRS MUST BE GOOD FOR ME:whoo: NOTE I SAID RUNNING I USED TO PRACTICALLY CRAWL UPSTAIRS BUT IT,S ONLY SIX WEEKS POST BANDING AND THE EXCERCISE IS KICKING IN ALREADY:whoo: TAKE CARE EVERYONE, SPEAK SOON.:kiss2:

Don't worry.

First off, usually the first fill does not lead to a lot of food intolerances. You will, most likely, still be able to eat meat, rice, bread, Pasta. Maybe at your second or third fill, you may find that these foods bother you, maybe not. It seems like I'm seeing a lot less food intolerances these days then I did with the early Bands. But that's just my observation.

Second, yes, you should be taking a Multivitamin. Be sure to add a Calcium supplement if you are not getting your calcium through food choices.

Three, the beauty of the Band is that you're in control! If later down the line, you find that you'd much rather live with less restriction and more food choices, you can do that. Even if you choose that, you will find that your Band with some restriction makes following a "typical" diet like WW so much easier. You'll actually be able to be satisfied with the points/calories allotted to you, rather than always being hungry.

Fills do not hurt, BTW. I know it's tough to believe...but it's true. Everybody goes through pre-first fill fears. It's completely normal.

Last week on Oprah, Dr. Oz was on the show and doing some "myth busters" if you will. They did a case study on two twin women and gave one of them Water (8 oz every hour, totaling 64 oz) and the other twin got no Water. The end result was that both of their vitals and Vitamin levels, body readings & functionality were the same. Dr. Oz explained that we don't need as much water as we think bc the body gets water from food. And the required amount to keep the body going is much less than previously thought.

I am still for drinking a lot of water. If anything, it helps curb hunger!

Hi Tulip;

Actually Dr. Oz's study was on the effect of drinking water vs. NOT drinking water - and how it affects your SKIN/wrinkles/blemishes. I actually wrote into Oprah, b/c I was VERY upset with how he/Oprah somewhat mislead folks into thinking water was not as necessary as once previously thought - for other bodily functions. They needed to reiterate there were no affects on the SKIN...but they did not do that. Heck yea; I was so upset - I'm sure there were other people out there who wanted to hear all the GREAT affects that drinking water has on the body; such as flushing toxins, and lower elevated blood sugars. :ranger:

I'm more scared of going to my gyno than getting fills.

The needle poking is easy as pie, it hurts when they pushed on my port (which might be since it was flipped). And I've been jabbed multiple times, each time.

As for fills, it seems to be common that the first fill doesn't do very much in the way of what you can eat.

Since my first 4 fills didn't 'really' fill me up, when they revised my port and he filled me while I was under, he put 1cc (which is 'aggressive'-for him), and I have to say I feel like I'm at a great restriction. liquids go down with NO problem. I'm intolerant of breads at the moment.. and I can only eat 1/4c of food at once (finally!). I'm really happy to finally get to this point. I don't miss being able to eat a lot, I've been struggling to find this restriction for months.