Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ARE YOU FEELING HUNGRY RNY vs VSG

I have been doing some reading about the 2 surgeries VSG or RNY. With the bypass I have seen a lot of people say that they are feeling hungry more and more. I have not read this with the sleeve. I do know that the VSG they remove the portion of the stomach that has the hormone ghrelin. This hormone is what says hey your hungry and with the RNY since the stomach is still there the hormone is still produced. I have been recommended the bypass because I have been on insulin for a while and this would be the best chance for me to get off my meds. I am worried that if I have the RNY I will feel hungry all the time and screw it all up. I have will power but I do think of all aspects of this. I need help with deciding what surgery will be the best for me. UHHGGG this is frustrating. I need input from both sides. HELP!

I had my VSG on 12/5/16. I've lost 50# since then but I still get hungry. Both surgeries are just tools to help you say no to unhealthy foods or unhealthy quantities of those foods. You still have to decide every day that you don't want to be fat anymore. As far as which procedure to choose...I would go with what your doctor suggests. It's tough either way but at least there is hope to keep it off. Good luck!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13

Thank you

Hi I am 3 and 1/2 years out from my RNY. I have no physical hunger. It has never returned. They do cut the nerves to your ghrelin hormone. I am one of the very Lucky ones that it never returned to yet. That is the AMAZING thing about WLS, you lose the hunger. But you also need to realize that you still have to do the work! The WLS either one is the tool that helps you be successful. We do THE WORK!! Good luck in your choice of either surgery.

I have been doing some reading about the 2 surgeries VSG or RNY. With the bypass I have seen a lot of people say that they are feeling hungry more and more. I have not read this with the sleeve. I do know that the VSG they remove the portion of the stomach that has the hormone ghrelin. This hormone is what says hey your hungry and with the RNY since the stomach is still there the hormone is still produced. I have been recommended the bypass because I have been on insulin for a while and this would be the best chance for me to get off my meds. I am worried that if I have the RNY I will feel hungry all the time and screw it all up. I have will power but I do think of all aspects of this. I need help with deciding what surgery will be the best for me. UHHGGG this is frustrating. I need input from both sides. HELP!

Hikell911:

I had my RNY in Nov 2009 and went from 244 to 135 in 7 months, I actually lost about 8 more lbs. but the doc said it was too low. I don't know about the sleeve, losing the part of the stomach where grehlin is produced (never heard that one) but I can tell you I was certainly not hungry one time in many many years. Get into a good support system, listen to your doctor, take your Vitamins, eat your Protein like you are supposed to do and you will be a success! I wouldn't go back for a million bucks, and I'll be 67 this year! You can do this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I've heard the opposite actually..I had the bypass and have almost no hunger. My Sw last july was 276. My current weight is 189.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

I recently had the sleeve and if I feel a hunger pain a sip of Water takes it right away. I've learned to keep Water with me all the time and eat my 3 healthy meals a day and as you see the scale go down it sure helps to choose to continue to eat heat. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I also do much research prior to my rny gastric bypass on Jan. 10th. I learned I now have a pouch the size of a walnut which is stapled off from the rest of the stomach. The other portion of the stomach food does not go thru. It is still used for enzymes and other digestive juices. Most of the small intestine is cut away and then attached to the pouch. The stomach lining carries most of the grehlin with the small intestine some as well as the pancreas and a few other organs. I am sure you can ask your surgeon to explain the mechanics of one procedure vs the other. The rny is both restrictive and malabsorptive. The vsg is restrictive only. I hope this helps some. My surgeon said due to my gerd the vsg would not be a good choice. It can make the gerd worse. So I followed his expertise. He is very strict on following his recommendations. My surgery went well. But yes, I feel hungry. I believe because the first 10 days have been clear liquid diet. The last 4 days a Protein drink has been added. Tomorrow I start full liquid blenderized diet for 2 weeks. Every surgeon has their own plan to follow. My Dr. Cahill has done well over 6000 bariatric surgeries at the Midwest Center of Bariatrics. Sorry I went on so long. Like the other posts, follow your surgeons recommendation. Good luck and prayers. 23# down in 20 days. Paula

Sent from my EVO using the BariatricPal App

I'm four weeks out with rny. I'm still not hungry. It's a bit of an issue because I need to eat for some energy, but everything sounds horrible. It Wil get better. And I'm a third of my way to goal already.

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

Hikell911:

I had my RNY in Nov 2009 and went from 244 to 135 in 7 months, I actually lost about 8 more lbs. but the doc said it was too low. I don't know about the sleeve, losing the part of the stomach where grehlin is produced (never heard that one) but I can tell you I was certainly not hungry one time in many many years. Get into a good support system, listen to your doctor, take your Vitamins, eat your Protein like you are supposed to do and you will be a success! I wouldn't go back for a million bucks, and I'll be 67 this year! You can do this!

I actually eat six very small meals a day.

Just a side note. While I was reading the other posts it was said that they have a hard time eating due to no hunger. I can say with all honesty. food does not HOLD THE SAME FEELINGS as before my RNY. It is almost a chore to eat. As was said nothing sounds or taste good. Since my RNY I have had a super duper smeller and taster. But the down side of the taster is I taste metal most of the time or bitter stuff!! food is NOT that IMPORTANT NOW> In fact I would rather drink my coffee with my added Protein. LOL My faily has had a very hard time adjusting to this. But I would NOT change this for NOTHING!! It is all worth it totally!!