Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hi everyone - I'm back!! Thank you so much to you all for your good luck wishes. They must have worked as I'm fine. I did feel very sick for a couple of days after the op and wondered what the hell I had done to myself, but that has passed now. My BP went really low (can you believe it after all the panic with the high BP before hand) and I was told that this was the reason I was feeling so grotty. I am still quite sore - but doing ok, although I have developed a cough and it hurts like hell when I start with a coughing fit. I arrived In Belgium after a quick flight from Newcastle and was met at the airport by Frederick's dad (he had a very nice car!) Checked in at the hotel and was greeted by Tamisu waiting for me at reception. It was really nice of her to wait up for me until almost midnight! She is a really lovely lady and was doing amazing after her surgery. She answered my many questions and also gave me a few tips (Hope you are still doing as well Tamisu - good luck with the weight loss!) Frederick came to my hotel the next day and even before I read the negative comments about him on this forum, I wasn't that impressed by him. I thought at the time it was just me. Nevertheless I paid my money and was picked up by the taxi the next day and was taken to the hospital at 6.45am. I checked in and was told to go the the 1st floor. On the 1st floor a male nurse told me to wait there (in a dark passage??) but other people were arriving and going inside so I also went inside and saw there was a proper waiting room so sat there. The male nurse did later ask me to follow him to the ward before the others though. It was all very quick after that. Dr Chris came and spoke to me for a while. He speaks very fast but I understood what he was saying as I have read so much of the procedure on this forum. I was prepared for the op and told I was going down first, which Frederik had said would happen. He told me that if you book the package direct with him you always get to go first - not sure if this was his sales patter or not. I was not told to take my knickers off by the way , but I wouldn't have anyway as I came on the day before - 2 weeks early typical! I was then taken down to a pre-op room, where I waited what seemed like an eternity. I was then asked to change beds and was taken into the OR. It was a bit daunting in the operating room but the next I knew I was waking up in post op and was given an injecton (which has given me jip since - they must have put the needle in a muscle) I was looked after well by the nurses, but one of the nurses on duty during the night was a mini hitler and I needed the loo so bad at around midnight but I was too afraid to ask her, so I waited another 7 hours until the day shift came on! Yes I met Jorik Tamisu - he was the one who got to take me to the loo bless him. He was really lovely. Another nurse took my drain out and she informed me it was going to hurt! I did shout out as she did it very fast and I wasn't expecting that, but it wasn't too bad really. As I said before I felt very sick, but I was given medication for this, which helped for a while. Once I had my blood and x-ray results back, Dr Chris came in again and said it was ok for me to go. (I didn't mind the barium drink too much at the x-ray, in fact the doctor told me to drink less of it as it was expensive- not sure if he was joking or not?! - I didn't like being turned flat on the woodern contraption thing though. I felt like I was going to fall off!) Once back at the hotel I did still feel a bit sick and sore but the medication they give you to take away helped. Frederick came to see me later that day, but he just stood in the door way, asked if I was ok and then was off - all in approx 2 mins. The next day the taxi was supposed to pick us up at 17.15 and when it hadn't arrived by 17.30 we rang Frederick to ask if the taxi had been booked. Frederick was in London, but did sort the taxi out for us and we were off to the airport 40 mins late, but still in plenty of time for our flight. I was ok in the airport and on the flight home (my band didn't make the scanner go off, which I was grateful for). I am now resting at home and after reading the forum earlier I have signed up to the WLS group aftercare package for 12mths. Thanks for the info bobobaldy - you should ask them for commission :-)

While I was in the hospital I was in a ward with a lovely lady who doesn't live too far away from me. How lucky was that. She had her band fitted 2 years ago and has lost 5 stones. She was there for a Tummy Tuck and she was a great support for me. However she took a turn for the worse and had to go back into emergency surgery the morning after I left the hospital. My husband had become quite friendly with her partner too and we felt so sorry for them both. I have been in contact with them lots and she is doing fine now and hopes to be able to come home on Monday. Fingers crossed she is well enough to travel home then.

Well I think that's enough from me, but if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck to you all who are about to be banded shortly - not long for you now mmm. Wishfull, Gillian and bigsister you are all doing great so far. Well done! Enjoy your holiday Freckles and then it will be your turn. Sorry if i have forgotten anyone - but best wishes to you all. Teresa xx

Hi TC27,welcome back! Glad to hear that everything has gone okay for you. Enjoyed reading your account of thing's and it was nice that you were able to meet up with Tamisu,(who I hope is also doing well with her recovery). Take care & best wishes to you both. Kath.x :redface::redface:

Hi everyone - I'm back!! Thank you so much to you all for your good luck wishes. They must have worked as I'm fine. I did feel very sick for a couple of days after the op and wondered what the hell I had done to myself, but that has passed now. My BP went really low (can you believe it after all the panic with the high BP before hand) and I was told that this was the reason I was feeling so grotty. I am still quite sore - but doing ok, although I have developed a cough and it hurts like hell when I start with a coughing fit. I arrived In Belgium after a quick flight from Newcastle and was met at the airport by Frederick's dad (he had a very nice car!) Checked in at the hotel and was greeted by Tamisu waiting for me at reception. It was really nice of her to wait up for me until almost midnight! She is a really lovely lady and was doing amazing after her surgery. She answered my many questions and also gave me a few tips (Hope you are still doing as well Tamisu - good luck with the weight loss!) Frederick came to my hotel the next day and even before I read the negative comments about him on this forum, I wasn't that impressed by him. I thought at the time it was just me. Nevertheless I paid my money and was picked up by the taxi the next day and was taken to the hospital at 6.45am. I checked in and was told to go the the 1st floor. On the 1st floor a male nurse told me to wait there (in a dark passage??) but other people were arriving and going inside so I also went inside and saw there was a proper waiting room so sat there. The male nurse did later ask me to follow him to the ward before the others though. It was all very quick after that. Dr Chris came and spoke to me for a while. He speaks very fast but I understood what he was saying as I have read so much of the procedure on this forum. I was prepared for the op and told I was going down first, which Frederik had said would happen. He told me that if you book the package direct with him you always get to go first - not sure if this was his sales patter or not. I was not told to take my knickers off by the way , but I wouldn't have anyway as I came on the day before - 2 weeks early typical! I was then taken down to a pre-op room, where I waited what seemed like an eternity. I was then asked to change beds and was taken into the OR. It was a bit daunting in the operating room but the next I knew I was waking up in post op and was given an injecton (which has given me jip since - they must have put the needle in a muscle) I was looked after well by the nurses, but one of the nurses on duty during the night was a mini hitler and I needed the loo so bad at around midnight but I was too afraid to ask her, so I waited another 7 hours until the day shift came on! Yes I met Jorik Tamisu - he was the one who got to take me to the loo bless him. He was really lovely. Another nurse took my drain out and she informed me it was going to hurt! I did shout out as she did it very fast and I wasn't expecting that, but it wasn't too bad really. As I said before I felt very sick, but I was given medication for this, which helped for a while. Once I had my blood and x-ray results back, Dr Chris came in again and said it was ok for me to go. (I didn't mind the barium drink too much at the x-ray, in fact the doctor told me to drink less of it as it was expensive- not sure if he was joking or not?! - I didn't like being turned flat on the woodern contraption thing though. I felt like I was going to fall off!) Once back at the hotel I did still feel a bit sick and sore but the medication they give you to take away helped. Frederick came to see me later that day, but he just stood in the door way, asked if I was ok and then was off - all in approx 2 mins. The next day the taxi was supposed to pick us up at 17.15 and when it hadn't arrived by 17.30 we rang Frederick to ask if the taxi had been booked. Frederick was in London, but did sort the taxi out for us and we were off to the airport 40 mins late, but still in plenty of time for our flight. I was ok in the airport and on the flight home (my band didn't make the scanner go off, which I was grateful for). I am now resting at home and after reading the forum earlier I have signed up to the WLS group aftercare package for 12mths. Thanks for the info bobobaldy - you should ask them for commission :-)

While I was in the hospital I was in a ward with a lovely lady who doesn't live too far away from me. How lucky was that. She had her band fitted 2 years ago and has lost 5 stones. She was there for a Tummy Tuck and she was a great support for me. However she took a turn for the worse and had to go back into emergency surgery the morning after I left the hospital. My husband had become quite friendly with her partner too and we felt so sorry for them both. I have been in contact with them lots and she is doing fine now and hopes to be able to come home on Monday. Fingers crossed she is well enough to travel home then.

Well I think that's enough from me, but if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck to you all who are about to be banded shortly - not long for you now mmm. Wishfull, Gillian and bigsister you are all doing great so far. Well done! Enjoy your holiday Freckles and then it will be your turn. Sorry if i have forgotten anyone - but best wishes to you all. Teresa xx

Hi TC27, thank you for sharing your experiance with us,so glad your over op and feeling better, i myself am going on the 6th of march cant stop thinking about it, did you say you had to pay frederik day before surgery,he doe'snt sound to friendly,what was hotel like,how did you book with WLS how much does it cost, do you know if they have service in Dublin, sorry all the ? :redface:

Hi TC, glad you are back home and doing well. Funny that Frederik said that about going first if you booked through him. I was the only one that day that had booked through him and I went last. Later one of the nurses told me that it went by weight. Who knows??

I haven't written much 'cause I don't have much to write about. I'm still feeling fine, but I will be glad to get the stitches out Monday! My husband is still spoiling me, he even does the bandages! I've started using the treadmill again, working up quite the sweat! I still haven't eaten to the full feeling, just till I think I've eaten enough. I put powdered milk in everything, even in my milk. I can't stand my Protein Shakes and didn't want to spend any more money on them, so this is my solution.

Hope everyone is doing well-T

Hey TC, Glad you are well! Just as well you didn't bother to ask to get up for the toilet, They wouldn't have let you! At least I wasn't allowed... the nurse brought me a bed pan, and I refused. SHe said if you need the toilet you'll use it!! I actually had to sneak to the toilet!!!:) I am a rebel :redface:

WELCOME HOME TC!:redface: glad everything went well for you i was thinking about you. Im doing well, think my dissolving stitches are easing now, i have been in the bath every night laid on my side massaging them, think it helps to break them down..so thats a tip after you have had your blue stitch took out that is..keep your plasters off then unless they are bleeding or weeping. i got some pain yesterday tea time after eating a turkey dinosaur off my sons plate!!! cant believe i did that so it just serves me right doesnt it?!?!...anyway i could certainly feel that i did have some restriction then!!!..im jumping round the kitchen banging my chest and davids going "whats up?!"..i said ive got a bloody dinosaur stuck in my band...funny really!. just had a weetabix for Breakfast warm with plenty of milk, went down well too. bowels are still needing to get used to my new way of eating too! lol! glad to hear you booked a package with WLS..is there one near you?..we are delighted it is at a local BUPA hospital only 10 mins drive!.Boboboldy should mention how many people hes got to sign up..he might get a free fill or something!:)..anyway, i hope you continue to feel better every day..like i have, dont overdo it in your first week though x

Hi TC27, thank you for sharing your experiance with us,so glad your over op and feeling better, i myself am going on the 6th of march cant stop thinking about it, did you say you had to pay frederik day before surgery,he doe'snt sound to friendly,what was hotel like,how did you book with WLS how much does it cost, do you know if they have service in Dublin, sorry all the ? :redface:

Hi Shoes - you are welcome!. I thought it only fair I share my story as others before me were kind enough to take the time to share theirs on the forum and it helped me a great deal to prepare for my op. I was just like you and couldn't stop thinking about it, wondering if I was doing the right thing. It's still early days but I'm sure I have made the right decision. I sent a 400 euro deposit prior to going to Belgium to the ECFS bank as instructed and paid the balance to Frederik the day before surgery. Don't worry about him. He is quite nice and friendly, I just got the impression he was going through the motions, but he wasn't nasty or anything like that. The hotel was ok. Basic, but clean. I would suggest you ask for extra pillows as when I came back from my op my husband gave me his pillow as it felt too flat lying on one.

I rang WLS group on the number shown on their website:-www.wlsgroup.co.uk (0800 78 79 029). They have a special offer on until today and I booked the 12 month package for £549, although they have a 6 month package for £275 if that would suit you more. They do also have a clinic in Dublin and the address is:- The Light Therapy, Health and Beauty Clinic, Unit 4, 35 Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin. Hope that helps, but don't hesitate to ask if there is anything else you want to know. If I can help I will. T x

Hey TC, Glad you are well! Just as well you didn't bother to ask to get up for the toilet, They wouldn't have let you! At least I wasn't allowed... the nurse brought me a bed pan, and I refused. SHe said if you need the toilet you'll use it!! I actually had to sneak to the toilet!!!:) I am a rebel :redface:

Thank you Sanflan - yes I feel fine and yes you are a brave rebel, I was a chicken! Good for you though. I think if you felt well enoug to go then you should be allowed. I defo couldn't go on a bed pan. Good luck with your weight loss. T x

Hi TC, glad you are back home and doing well. Funny that Frederik said that about going first if you booked through him. I was the only one that day that had booked through him and I went last. Later one of the nurses told me that it went by weight. Who knows??

I haven't written much 'cause I don't have much to write about. I'm still feeling fine, but I will be glad to get the stitches out Monday! My husband is still spoiling me, he even does the bandages! I've started using the treadmill again, working up quite the sweat! I still haven't eaten to the full feeling, just till I think I've eaten enough. I put powdered milk in everything, even in my milk. I can't stand my Protein Shakes and didn't want to spend any more money on them, so this is my solution.

Hope everyone is doing well-T

Hi Tamisu - you are doing amazing - are you sure you have a band in there -lol. I have been drinking slimfast, but I only like the summer strawberry flavour. It just tastes like a milkshake. If the powdered milk is working for you then that is the best way to go.

I think Frederik can be a little economical with the truth if he said that to me and it isn't true, especially as he told me to tell my family and friends that they would get priority treatment if they went directly through him.

My husband has been brilliant too. I dont know what I would have done without him in Belgium and he is pandering to my every whim at the minute (don't know how long it will last though so I will make the most of it)

Take care and keep up the good work! T x

Hi gillian omg i was the same with the pain last night, i think i was being to eager or greedy with my tea.. i swallowed a piece of salmon that was to big, i couldn't believe the pain and i think iv learnt the hard way on that one.i did say im never going to eat again it was so painful but I managed small piece of salmon and little broccoli and was full, dave couldn't believe that i had eaten so little and was so full, i feel as if iv got restriction without any fills yet as i only had actimel and half a slim fast in the day. x

WELCOME HOME TC!:redface: glad everything went well for you i was thinking about you. Im doing well, think my dissolving stitches are easing now, i have been in the bath every night laid on my side massaging them, think it helps to break them down..so thats a tip after you have had your blue stitch took out that is..keep your plasters off then unless they are bleeding or weeping. i got some pain yesterday tea time after eating a turkey dinosaur off my sons plate!!! cant believe i did that so it just serves me right doesnt it?!?!...anyway i could certainly feel that i did have some restriction then!!!..im jumping round the kitchen banging my chest and davids going "whats up?!"..i said ive got a bloody dinosaur stuck in my band...funny really!. just had a weetabix for breakfast warm with plenty of milk, went down well too. bowels are still needing to get used to my new way of eating too! lol! glad to hear you booked a package with WLS..is there one near you?..we are delighted it is at a local BUPA hospital only 10 mins drive!.Boboboldy should mention how many people hes got to sign up..he might get a free fill or something!:)..anyway, i hope you continue to feel better every day..like i have, dont overdo it in your first week though x

Hi Gillian - thank you so much. I'm pleased you are doing so well and thank you for the tip on the stiches.

BUT if you were here with me I would slap you!! I laughed so much at your dinosaur story that it started me off coughing and now I'm feeling sore:lol: I read your post out to my hubby and daughter and they laughed too. I cant stop smiling when I think about it - you daft bat!

The WLS clinic is about 30 mins away from me, so not too far and I agree Bobobaldy should tell them about all the business he has brought their way.

I'm off to give my husband another job to do - the joys!!

Take care T x

Hi Tamisu - you are doing amazing - are you sure you have a band in there -lol. I have been drinking slimfast, but I only like the summer strawberry flavour. It just tastes like a milkshake. If the powdered milk is working for you then that is the best way to go.

I think Frederik can be a little economical with the truth if he said that to me and it isn't true, especially as he told me to tell my family and friends that they would get priority treatment if they went directly through him.

My husband has been brilliant too. I dont know what I would have done without him in Belgium and he is pandering to my every whim at the minute (don't know how long it will last though so I will make the most of it)

Hi T, im 2 weeks post op and my partner is the same i cant move and he's asking wher im going or what im doing, bless him. he wont even let me run my bath cos i'll have to bend over and it might pull my stitches, im not allowed to push the trolly in the supermarket and he is watching everyone like a hawk in case they go to close and bump into me, its heaven wen he's in work lol, I cant moan really he has been great and im sure iv recovered so well cos of the way he's helped x

Hey TC. So pleased to have you back with us - me and sister gillian have been talking about you, sanflan and tamisu when it was 'your days' for surgery and hoping things went well for you all. I can't remember any of the nursing staff who were anything less than helpfulness itself and it was really bad luck you got an unapproachable one. Sister gillian went down to surgery first out of 7 being banded that day and we didn't book directly with frederick, we were also told that the surgery list is determined firstly by any current medical probs which may pose additional risk and then by weight. This sounds logical and sensible and so it doesn't sound right that because you booked directly means that you would be given priority treatment and go down first. Does anyone know what fredericks medical status is - eg doctor etc?

Make the most of your husband's attentiveness, it doesn't usually take too long for it to wear off!

Is there anyone recently banded who can let me know how long the dissolving 'fishing line' thread/knots on the scars take to break up and fall off? I keep rubbing gently at them while in the bath as the nurse who took the blue stitch out advised me but I can't see any signs of em letting go of me yet! Grateful for replies, thanks bigsister x

Hi T, im 2 weeks post op and my partner is the same i cant move and he's asking wher im going or what im doing, bless him. he wont even let me run my bath cos i'll have to bend over and it might pull my stitches, im not allowed to push the trolly in the supermarket and he is watching everyone like a hawk in case they go to close and bump into me, its heaven wen he's in work lol, I cant moan really he has been great and im sure iv recovered so well cos of the way he's helped x

Aww wishfull - he sounds lovely. It is nice to be pampered and I do think they know we would do it for them if it was the other way around. Because Colin works away (2 weeks offshore then 2 weeks at home), I am quite an independent person as I have to be sometimes and I find it hard to let him do things, especially as it isn't up to my standard (lol), but to be quite honest I have been too tired to do much and I agree with you that we will recover more quickly because of all they have done. I will let him go out for a drink wth his pals this afternoon as a treat :redface: T x

[Does anyone know what fredericks medical status is - eg doctor etc?

Make the most of your husband's attentiveness, it doesn't usually take too long for it to wear off!

Is there anyone recently banded who can let me know how long the dissolving 'fishing line' thread/knots on the scars take to break up and fall off? I keep rubbing gently at them while in the bath as the nurse who took the blue stitch out advised me but I can't see any signs of em letting go of me yet! Grateful for replies, thanks bigsister x

Hi Bigsister! I asked Dr. Chris and he told me that Frederik is a male nurse and assists him in the OR. He also told me that anyone who writes to him (Dr. Chris) about having surgery will be forwarded to Frederik, Dr. Chris only does the patient care and Frederik handles all the logistics. I liked hearing that.

I have my stitches removed Monday. Dr. Chris told me that the clear stitches will dissolve within 4 weeks.

Glad you're still doing well. Hope we all continue that way. -Tammy

Hey TC. So pleased to have you back with us - me and sister gillian have been talking about you, sanflan and tamisu when it was 'your days' for surgery and hoping things went well for you all. I can't remember any of the nursing staff who were anything less than helpfulness itself and it was really bad luck you got an unapproachable one. Sister gillian went down to surgery first out of 7 being banded that day and we didn't book directly with frederick, we were also told that the surgery list is determined firstly by any current medical probs which may pose additional risk and then by weight. This sounds logical and sensible and so it doesn't sound right that because you booked directly means that you would be given priority treatment and go down first. Does anyone know what fredericks medical status is - eg doctor etc?

Hi bigsister - thank you so much. It is lovely to know that people really care. I was the same when you, Gillian and Wishfull were there and it was such a relief when you all came back safe and well. You are like my little cyberspace family.

The lady that was in my ward with me didn't let the miserable nurse boss us about and put her in her place a few times, but I'm just anything for an easy life so kept quiet. The rest were lovely though, so maybe she was having a bad night, who knows.

After Frederik said I would be first my husband did say to me later that he thought it was just sales talk. Very naughty of him to tell fibs like that if its not true though and after reading the responses to my post it does sound lie a big fat lie! I think Frederik is just a nurse and the lady in my ward said he was only brought onboard after Dr Chris got that bad press last year.

I have to make the most out of Colin now as he goes back offshore next Wednesday. Hopefully I will be all better by then.

I hope someone can answer your stitches question soon.

Take care T x