Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hi all, I haven't been on for a while so thought it time to catch up. Sorry if I missed any posts directed at me since last time, there are too many for me to read back on!!

Well, I'm really confused, haven't had a fill for a few months, as the weight loss has been slow but I'm happy with that. Had 3 fills altogether and although I didn't feel like I'd found my "sweet spot" had an inkling I was pretty close to it. Here's where the confusion starts..... for the last week or so I've had virtually constant heartburn and been struggling at night, think this is the dreaded REFLUX :biggrin:

A couple of times I've woken up with, what I think of as sick in my mouth (though probably just liquidy stuff that hasn't passed through the band before I've gone to bed). I'm not really sure why this has just started happening now when I haven't had another fill, I hope to God the band hasn't slipped or something!! I'm trying my best not to eat or drink for a while before I go to bed, but I'm a big drinker (soft drinks only) I like to take little sips often and I'm struggling to break the habit. Really concerned that even drinks don't seem to want to pass through the band all of a sudden. Any advice please? I almost feel like making myself sick to shift whatever is sitting above my band just to get some comfort. :crying:

On a positive note, I officially passed the half way point on my weight loss journey this week!! It's happened slower than I thought it would (back in February I imagined myself in a size 12 dress by Christmas) but I'm more than happy with it, and sooooo many people are noticing my loss now. One of my mates has taken to calling me "Twiggy", love it!!

Love to all.

go you kerry stealing all the younger men lol,you go girl xx sorry to hear about poor you jo jo,im sure freckles will maybe give you some advice i havnt had that yet xx:blink:

its really good having people on here who had the band fitted a while ago to keep us newies posted. Really helpful.Thanks for all your advice:smile:

Good luck Lyn, see you when its all done and dusted.

Poor you FP, I know how you feel, I was the same, banded in Feb 2009, and by July I had only lost about 7 lbs.

I thought I was a failure and it would never shift, then I had another fill and whoa, I couldnt hardly eat anything.

I was over-filled but at least I lost weight.

Dont let those negative comments from ignorant people get you down. The band is NOT a waste of money and it DOES work.

They will have to eat their words a few months from now.

People love to do this dont they, it makes me so angry, what do they know about the band if they havent got one???

You see when you get to your sweet spot, you can eat almost anything but in tiny quantities. Its quite hard to get used to the fact, I still try to eat more than my little tum will hold and have to run to the loo.

Its the most awful feeling but I'm starting to learn.

Imagine that your normal stomach is ..for want of a better term a big balloon, and your small tum is the size of a small baby's. If you think how much a baby can eat then you get the idea.

I eat whatever I want, which is wrong I suppose and maybe thats why my weightloss is slow.

I was never much good at this dieting lark, thats why I got the band in the first place.

If you struggle with foods and they get stuck I think its because your band isnt tight enough yet.

Some foods I never eat, like fruit and white bread, , but I eat what I can, take my Vitamins and try to drink a lot. (mostly beer and vodka lol)

I'm not very good at explaining things but I do hope it helps someone.:smile:

I'm glad my post has helped even if only a little.

Jojo it sounds like your oesophagus is inflamed, according to Freddyboy, thats what he told me when it was happening every damn night, so I had a teardrop taken out until it calmed down a bit.

You wouldnt believe how just having a tiny bit taken out could stop the reflux.

When I went back the next month and had the teardrop put back in everything was fine. I cannot eat or drink too late at night or it comes back up, Jojo have you tried drinking with a straw? Thats what I do, instead of taking sips, and it goes down easier.

Hope that helps a little.

You have lost as much weight as me and you're 12 months behind as to when you got the band fitted, very well done girl!!!!

I found this and thought it may help us to understand why we get reflux at night...

The oesophagus (food pipe)

The oesophagus or food pipe is part of the digestive system. It is also sometimes called the gullet. It is the tube that carries food from your mouth to your stomach. The oesophagus is about 26cm (10.5 inches) long in adults. As it passes through the chest, on its way to the stomach, it lies between the windpipe (trachea) and spinal cord.

Parts of the oesophagus

The oesophagus has three main sections - the upper, middle and lower. The wall of the oesophagus has three layers of muscle, called the mucosa, submucosa and muscularis. These muscles help to push food down towards the stomach when you swallow. The mucosa is the innermost muscle layer. It is covered with a skin-like lining on the inside of the oesophagus.

The oesophagus joins to the top part of the stomach (called the cardia). This is called the gastro oesophageal junction. There is a valve here that helps to keep the stomach contents from coming back up into the oesophagus. The valve is called the cardiac sphincter.

What the oesophagus does

It carries food and liquids to the stomach with waves of muscle contractions. Glands in the wall of the oesophagus produce mucous to help food to slide down more easily when you swallow.

DIAGRAM.jpg

Edited by Freckles

I know we should not compare ourselves with each other but I'm a bit curious.

I'm 6 days post op and the scales say I have lost up to 3lbs so far. I have lost souch more in the first week on every other diet I have tried.

I have stuck to Asda Measure up milk shakes, runny low fat yoghurts, Soups and the odd Dutch crispbake (the ones they gave us in hospital).

My calorie intake is about 650 a day... Tops.

Any advice anyone?

What are you asking Lemma?

Do you think you should be losing more?

As you say each of us is different. I think a lot depends on the amount of food you ate before, whether you lose it fast or not.

I was never a big eater at one sitting, I grazed a lot, so in fact must have consumed a lot more calories than was good for me, hence the weight gain.

But my weight loss has been slow, cos I still graze and mostly the wrong foods, I hold my hand up to that, but sometimes if I can only eat ice cream I will, the alternative being is to starve.

Thats how i deal with my band and I am looking leaner these

days. I feel much better when I get dressed to go out, I dont find myself continually looking in the mirror to see if that top makes me look fat, my clothes are much more comfortable.

I am striving to fit into a jacket that I bought 30 years ago. its still tight but not like it used to be, thats my goal.

I have a piccy somewhere I think of when it fitted me, I'll look for it.

I know we should not compare ourselves with each other but I'm a bit curious.

I'm 6 days post op and the scales say I have lost up to 3lbs so far. I have lost souch more in the first week on every other diet I have tried.

I have stuck to Asda Measure up milk shakes, runny low fat yoghurts, Soups and the odd Dutch crispbake (the ones they gave us in hospital).

My calorie intake is about 650 a day... Tops.

Any advice anyone?

dont worry hun i lost 14lb after 2 weeks,didnt weigh myself first week,your body is just adjusting to the shock it's just been through lol,next week you will have lost a bit more xxlynda were are you,have you sorted yourself out in hotel yet xx

Ok im here at campanile hotel its not that fancy lol.

im just after geting a big chinise it was yumy just waching tv and chiling out trying not to think 2 much about 2mara. I havent seen any 1 yet that might be geting banded i will know l8er when i see freddy. Did any of you see the bakrey omg it is no nice i got a big bit of choc cake lol thats going to be my last food for awile:drool:

i'm flying from Dublin or cork, does anyone know what airlines go to Zaventem, its brussels main airport

Found the piccy, yeh I know I'm pulling a stupid face..sorry

Thats the jacket, at that time I was 10stone, and at 5ft 8ins tall I was in a size 12/14... and I'd had 4 children...happy days.

Its so sneaky the way the fat creeps on you. :smile:

1980.jpg

Found the piccy, yeh I know I'm pulling a stupid face..sorry

Thats the jacket, at that time I was 10stone, and at 5ft 8ins tall I was in a size 12/14... and I'd had 4 children...happy days.

Its so sneaky the way the fat creeps on you. :yesnod:

1980.jpg

lol a cool pic im digging the jeans,there all the fashion now,:smile:

Oh wow ... that must have felt amazing - did you find anyone's (friends) opinion of you change for better or for worse when you started 'shedding'? Has your style sense changed too? What size clothes were you to what you are now? (sorry do tell me to burger off...) I'm just so interested! x

Hi Angel

My confidence has changed massively, I am much more outgoing and no longer trying to hide my boobs all the time.

I was a 22/24 and am now an 18 however have bought some 16 trousers out of M & S and wearing them - every shop is different.

Had my hair cut shorter, dyed a different colour and started using fake tan - my hubby to be thinks its amazing and is loving the new confident me even more

Dont you worry about what others think - you just do what makes you happy

Kerry xx

i'm flying from Dublin or cork, does anyone know what airlines go to Zaventem, its brussels main airport

aer lingus is the best go from dublin to brussels,there are a few airport and you have to be careful some of them are miles away from hotel and freddy wont send them that far my neice has just flew this morning with them to brussels,and all is fine x:rolleyes2:

Thank yoy Scooby Doo, Freckles and Angel fizz for replying.

Having the band sure is a roller coaster of a journey that's for sure, I'm like you Kerry in that I can't really eat til lunchtime, unless I have had lots of Hot Drinks, somedays I'm sick no matter what I try and eat, and other days I can eat and eat and not get the full feeling.

I try hard with Portion Control, but the days when things get stuck and I bring everything up I'll revert to eating cheesy puffs and crisp breads as these go down first time everytime. Have started on whey Protein Shakes today, and plan to have these twice a day and a little dinner.< /p>

We'll see what happens!

I wish in a way that I had told no one except hubby, and that way wouldn't have the contstant questions or comments of "you not lost any more then", and I could just be getting on with it. I know that the slower loss is better for the skin as well so I hopefully wont be left with yards of excess, I just dont want the next 6 months to pass with no significant loss to show for it.

Will regain my PMA soon I'm sure!

Good luck everyone xx