Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Op - All the details of surgery day...that I can remember anyways

I had my surgery on Tuesday, and now that I am 2 days post-op I finally feel like my head is clear enough to share the details of my surgery day.

I arrived at the hospital at 9:00am, as I was told to arrive 2 hours before my scheduled surgery time. After I registered, they called me back to be prepped almost immediately. I had to get undresses, and I had to wash my tummy with a Hibicleanse solution for 4 minutes. They started my IV and brought my husband back to see me. I talked with the anesthesiologist , and several other people, including my surgeon. After I talked to everyone I needed to, they gave me a Lovenox shot, antibiotics and Versed, and rolled me back to the OR. The last thing that I remember is them strapping my arms to the operating table. I also remember that I was starving since I was on all Clear liquids to on Monday.

I woke up in recovery feeling very groggy, and my mouth was as dry as the desert. My throat was sore from the intubation tube. I don't know how long I was there, but it seemed like they were rolling me into my room fairly quickly. I was not allowed to drink anything that entire night, but they did bring me some ice chips. These were the best ice chips I have ever had in my life!!! That's what it seemed like anyways. I was pretty in and out of it the rest of that night.

Now let's get to the point of pain when I woke up. I had a lot of gas pain up near both my right and left shoulder, but it was worse on the right side. My biggest incision, on my right side, is the one that did, and still now hurts the most. Even the muscle underneath it is extremely sore. The other incisions are not too bad. I can feel them, and I know that they are there, but they barely hurt at all. I also had a catheter in, which I didn't want, but I'm glad I had it because I was too sore to be getting up and down all night to go to the bathroom. I was up and walking within 2 hours of getting in to my room. I did one lap at first, then rested for a couple of hours and did 2 more laps. I have a history of blood clots, so I had compression socks on and a compression machine pulsing my legs all night when I was not up and walking. People woke me up all night long to take my vitals. Just as I would fall asleep again, they would wake me up again to do something else.

On Wednesday morning, around 5am, I was given another Lovenox injection, along with some pain meds and a dose of Levsin, as it felt like my stomach was spasming quite regularly. I was also allowed to take pills by mouth, as long as they were not to big to choke on. By 6am, they removed my catheter, which I really didn't even feel at all. I then proceeded to walk 5 laps, then came back to my room to rest. 5 laps was all I could really do at that point. A few hours later, i got more pain meds, and was up and walking again. This time I did 7 laps. I still had quite a bit of pain, but it was now being completely controlled by the liquid Hycet, which am able to take at home. I was supposed to drink 40oz of liquids on Wednesday, and I had gotten through 20oz within about 4 hours. I finished the other 20 by 10pm.

I knew from my EGD that my surgeon would be fixing a hiatal hernia, and they told me once they got in there, they saw that it was significantly bigger than they originally thought it was, so I actually ended up being in surgery for 3.5 hours due to that. I do feel some discomfort from that, but again, my worst pain is the big incision where they removed the stomach from. Actually, it is not really the incisions that hurt, it is really the muscle underneath that is giving me the most pain.

Overall, it was a pretty smooth experience. I expected the pain because of all of the research I have been doing prior to the surgery, so even though it hurts, it was right around what I expected, so at least I can say I was expecting it. I have 5 incisions, and I am attaching a picture so that you can see what they look like. One is up near my breast bone, so you won't see that one in the picture.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. I am sure that I am leaving out a lot of details.

post-308798-0-26433600-1484842210_thumb.jpeg

Thank you for your thorough description. It gives me more insight on what to expect-haven't got my date yet. I wish you well during your recovery. Welcome to the LOSERS BENCH! I hope to join you soon!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Thank you ladygg1967! Had I not done a lot of research prior to going in, I think the whole experience would have been more difficult. At least I was expecting everything that I am feeling. It doesn't make it any less painful, but at least I know it is normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Almost my exact experience. They big incision was the only one that gave me trouble, for the first two days I had muscle spams there that were the most pain of the whole experience but those went away quickly. I only ended up with four incisions, my pre-op diet was two weeks and my liver shrank so much it was not necessary for my surgeon to move it during surgery.

Mine was less than 24 hours ago. From 8pm to now I have had a total of 10oz of Water and 2 15ml dose cups of apple juice. They are working on releasing me today. I think the insides muscle pain etc is the worse. Finally starting to release some of this gas, but it even hurts to burp. Alot of walking helped. So couple of questions..someone told me that they should do a scan to make sure there are no leaks. Is that only something that's done If you are throwing up? Is 10oz of liquid ok for less than 24hrs post op? Also I'm not looking forward to my hour and half drive home.

~Ashley~

Funny, I remember so little of the day after being wheeled

away. I remember waking up in my hospital room. You have an amazing memory.

I certainly don't remember all of the details, because my husband was asking me if I remembered this conversation or that conversation, and I had no memory of those things. I just remember kissing him goodbye before I went in to the OR, and them strapping my arms down. Then I vaguely remember waking up in recovery, but my first clear memory post-op, was when they rolled me in to my room, and my husband walked in. I was in an out of sleep all night, but I know I was up and walking fairly quickly.

couple of questions..someone told me that they should do a scan to make sure there are no leaks. Is that only something that's done If you are throwing up? Is 10oz of liquid ok for less than 24hrs post op? Also I'm not looking forward to my hour and half drive home.

~Ashley~

I thought that I would have a leak test also, but they said they did it in the OR, so I never had one while I as awake. I was only allowed ice chips the first night. When I woke up the morning after they were still bringing me ice chips, and they also started to bring me Water, and told me to get down 40oz as my goal.I am already getting in 64oz of liquids.

Edited by FindingCarrie

This describes me also. Just about word for word my experience.

So, I'm at home and I'm having some questions. I feel as if I get hunger pains every 5 or so minutes. They could be pains of being to full of Water.... I don't know what the heck is going on. I can't determine what it is. Does anyone else feel like this too?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It could be muscle spasms. My doctor prescribed Levsin for this, and it works fabulously. If I start to get that feeling I take one Levsin. I was also prescribed Protonix, which is supposed to help with GERD, and can help reduce that feeling of hunger. I have not been hungry at all since surgery day, and I have had to force myself to drink Water and Protein throughout the day.

I wish I could say my experience was the same. I had my surgery on Tuesday 1/17 and didn't get discharged til Thursday 1/19. I'm sore as hell, every time I take a sip of Water a gas bubble comes up and it makes me want to throw up. I've been working on a bottle of Water since 7pm last night and am barely half way thru it. Gas x strips aren't helping much. It feels very uncomfortable. I had to sleep sitting up against pillows when I got home. Not sure how I'm supposed to get 64oz of water in. Not feeling well at all

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@"ResilientMaria", I think the only thing that has gotten rid of the gas for me is really just walking as much as possible. It really does help.