Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill, Not sure what to expect

I had my first fill today. I recieved 2 cc in my 10 cc band. Everything went ok, but I am scared to eat. I have eaten two very small meals. I feel like I did right out of surgery. My doctors office told me that I did not have to go on liquids, but I kind of feel like I should. For lunch I had 3 small shrimp and a small piece of cheese with ham and was stuffed.

Should I be on liquids for a little while? I just want to take advantage of this stage as I have not lost a thing for weeks and weeks.

How much can most of you eat at one time after a fill? Are you back to the two oz? I brought chicken to work with me for lunch, but am a little afraid to eat it.

Any advice would be great. Before I had my fill today, I was wide open and could eat almost as much as I did before. At least I did not gain any back.. :-)

It would be advisable to stay on liquids the rest of today. This gives your tummy time to adjust to the change. Then when you do eat, take it easy - eat calmly, slowly, chew-chew-chew, and STOP at the first sign of fullness. You should do fine!

I had my first fill Dec. 8th. I was tight for 2 days and then right back like I was before the fill. I did liquids the rest of the day after the fill and back to solids the next morning per doctors orders.

Dr. Ortiz who is my surgeon has his patients do 3 days of liquids after a fill. In the event there is swelling caused from the fill he has his patients do liquids so there is lower risk of Pbing. If you are swollen from the fill and then eat you have a higher risk of having a PB episode. His reasoning, so I listen :D

I should have just done this. I had a small amount of chicken for dinner. I did fine with it. However, I know that I ate too much and it hurt. I have to learn how to eat all over again. I did great after surgery, then you go back into your before way of life a little bit. Now I have to teach myself how to eat small again. I am going to do liquids tomorrow. I know I feel restriction today, I sure hope it last more then 3 days..

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had read it earlier this evening.

:-)

Well, I hope that I have not undone what my fill did. I have found it to be VERY hard going back to small amounts of food since my fill. I ate WAY too much yesterday and today. I feel like I am having such a hard time getting the mental part down. I know others have delt with this as well. I look at my plate, I eat, I am full, my head says that cannot be enough food, it is goo... KEEP EATING.... And I do. Why can I NOT make myself quit eating when I start to fill full? I had no problem doing this right after surgery, however, now is another story. I wish that I could put myself back in the same frame of mind I was in right after surgery.

What is the best way to get your head straight when you are doing this?? I am having such a hard time with it. I know I am full, but I keep shoving it in. I cannot believe that I have not PB'd yet. I hurt so bad yesterday and did not even need to think about eating another meal, but since everyone else did. I had another plate and thought that I was going to die.

What do you all do?????? Do I need to talk to a therapist about this?

Find something to take it's place. Get up and walk, crochet, knit, play with the little ones, read, focus more on the 'visiting' part of a meal with others than the food. It will come, but it takes practice. I think the thing that's best for me is that I SO enjoy NOT having that awful fully stuffed feeling anymore when I leave the table. I had lunch yesterday and was so 'full' that I didn't even have dinner. You'll get there!

This time of year is especially hard for all of us I think. My way of coping during the various feast was to use a saucer, with very small amts, small bites, chew chew chew, plus I make myself leave at least a bite of something. Then I look at what everyone else is eating and say that WAS my way of eating, they're small/normal size and can do that I can not. Then if I graze back to the table for seconds, I'm still way ahead mentally because I would have been getting seconds on a large plate and eating every bite and nibbling without the plate, lol. So nice not to be a nibbler anymore, well at least not nearly as much. On the mushy stage only so much nibbling you can do.

Good luck.

Thank Ladies. I just really am disgusted in myseld this week. I am upset that I did not have more will power then what I showed. But then again if I had that much will power I would not of have needed the band.

Tomorrow is a new day and I will make sure that try my best to NOT over due..

I'm doing the same exact thing!! I can't get my mind right and want another fill thinking that will do the trick... I know after I have been on liquids for a while I am good for cravings and hunger and such. I'm thinking of putting myself on liquids for a week to flush my system. I have to do something before I blow a port out...

We are trying to break a life style of bad choices in a few months, it can't be done. Come on we have taken the first step by being banded, the next steps will come but not if we forget that we are a work in progress and today is a new day to make some progress.

Cut yourself some slack and start thinking success not failure.

By the was this was a reminder to me for the most part.