Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down to 114lbs. Doctor now recommends RNY!

So I had MGB 8months ago. I have been getting bouts of diarrhea and after insisting to speak to the doctor over the phone (since my appointment is not until end of feb), doctor thinks it might be IBS. I'm down to 114lbs and most probably this weight loss will continue so now doctor is recommending revision to RNY!!!! This is crazy.. has anyone been through this before?? If I will have to go under the knife again I would prefer to get a total reversal but doctor thinks a reversal is not an option!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mmy

I have MGB but don't have the issues you're experiencing now (however, I'm only 8 months out so...).

Your surgeon seems to be very quick about recommending revision into RNY. An "it might be IBS" doesn't sound like a valid reason for performing revision.

If possible see the doctor in person and I'd get a second opinion before revision, especially if you really don't want one. There should be proper diagnostic done before deciding what treatment might be the best.

Join Facebook and friend dr r rutledge. He invented the MGB and will have great advice. I would get a 2nd opinion on your surgeons recommendation.. you could always revise the MGB to be changed. You will lose your stomach and lose the possibility of changing back.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

You can get a revision! No need for a total reversal unless tests prove otherwise. RNY can KILL. My sister went with a RNY because insurance paid for it but she ended up with two bowel resections and multiple stays in the hospital. Join MGB Group on Facebook. Both Dr. Rutledge and Dr. Peraglie watch the page and can jump in when needed. We have members from all over the world who have had or are hoping to have the procedure and many have years of experience.

Edited by Elinor M. Reynolds

Just take care of yourself. I have been working with a place in TJ for the MGB and I just read my paperwork and it says that I am scheduled for a mini RNY. i don't want a RNY. I've read the dangers.

I can't even begin to imagine someone reversing from a mgb to a rny. I have only seen it done the other way around. Not sure where you live but Dr. Rutledge or Dr Peraglie will see you as a second opinion. I had a MGB 6 months ago and doing wonderful. The both of them have done thousands of mgb.

I was trying to wait to get it done by Dr. R, but I never heard back from him on his availability, so I just moved forward with my plans to go to Mexico.

Just take care of yourself. I have been working with a place in TJ for the MGB and I just read my paperwork and it says that I am scheduled for a mini RNY. i don't want a RNY. I've read the dangers.

Basically, a mini gastric bypass is a mini RNY. It is just like the RNY, except instead of two anastomoses (joinings) there is only one. A mini gastric bypass is both restrictive and malabsorption, just like the RNY.

MMY wanted to know how you're doing? Did you get the RNY?? I would SO love to know the comparisons. I am struggling to decide on surgery.

On 2018-06-14 at 7:05 AM, lessismore1001 said:

MMY wanted to know how you're doing? Did you get the RNY?? I would SO love to know the comparisons. I am struggling to decide on surgery.

Me too! I hope you are well. :)