Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have any complications in surgery?

My surgery is coming up next week and I am starting to get nervous. I'm just wondering if anyone had any complications during surgery such as breathing/lung problems, heart problems (fast heart rate, high bp on anesthesia) or any other problems. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance but I do want to know truthfully if any of you had problems, what caused them, what you or your doctor could have done to prevent them (if anything), etc.

I have been recently diagnosed w/ mild apnea and have a bipap machine but I have not found a mask yet that I can sleep with so I have not been wearing it while sleeping. Does anyone know if this will cause complications? I am going to take it to surgery with me. Thanks.

None at all!

I was in by 730am and out by 9am.

I went home at 1pm the same day.

I even went to the pharmacy for my meds.

I was in quite a bit of pain for the first week but I dealt with it.

Or should I say vicodine dealt with it.

My surgery is coming up next week and I am starting to get nervous. I'm just wondering if anyone had any complications during surgery such as breathing/lung problems, heart problems (fast heart rate, high bp on anesthesia) or any other problems. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance but I do want to know truthfully if any of you had problems, what caused them, what you or your doctor could have done to prevent them (if anything), etc.

I have been recently diagnosed w/ mild apnea and have a bipap machine but I have not found a mask yet that I can sleep with so I have not been wearing it while sleeping. Does anyone know if this will cause complications? I am going to take it to surgery with me. Thanks.

I had complications after surgery. I had a very large hernia repaired. Looking back, I should have had the hernia repaired and a week later the band. The trama was so great, my band slipped. But of course Dr. repaired the problem. Do not worry. You will do fine. It is normal to be scared.

No problems here either. Your surgeon and anathesiologist are used to these issues. Talk over your concerns with them or one of the nurses.

For my previous surgery (not the lapband) I was terrified. One of the residents who was in training to be a surgeon asked me what was wrong and I told her how scared I was. She held my hand (literally) until the anathesia took effect. She was wonderful.

So even if someone there won't hold your hand, we'll all be here thinking of you and cheering for you!

frog.

I had the operation last year at the age of 57 and had absolutely no complications and very little pain apart from that caused by gas, and that pain was my own fault. I should have walked around the house more during the first few days after the surgery instead spending all my time reading and napping.

Guest ZenGarden

I had ZERO complications. Was in and out of surgery in 45 minutes and ALMOST got to go home the same night. My surgeon even told me that the hospital is going to begin making the laparascopic surgery outpatient in the near future.

I have had 7 knee surgeries, and a histerectomy and all of them required that I be put under. No complications on any of the surgeries and I have sleep apnea, a moderate case. I don't use the CPAP because it drove me crazy. Anyway I am getting banded on the 28th and I am not concerned about being put under again. You just have to put your faith in your doctor and know that they know how to handle any situation.

Good luck and God Bless

Mary

Hi! I am 52 years young and had no complications - in fact many of the nurses said I did better than most of the younger girls that had it done. I did stay overnight because I didn't get out of recovery until about six thirty but as soon as I got back to my room went for my walk around the halls. No nausea, no gas pains, only took pain meds for two days, it was an awesome experience.

Good luck to you! Keep a good attitude and you will do fine!

shelli

:ranger:

I did have a complication. My surgeon put a small band on my because he thought he would have issues getting me to restriction. With the small band and the stomach swelling - I failed the barium swallow. I went in on a Wednesday and got out Monday afternoon. At the time - I was miserable (because they put a tube down my nose) but in hindsight - I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

I did have a complication. My surgeon put a small band on my because he thought he would have issues getting me to restriction. With the small band and the stomach swelling - I failed the barium swallow. I went in on a Wednesday and got out Monday afternoon. At the time - I was miserable (because they put a tube down my nose) but in hindsight - I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Did they leave the small band in you or did they switch you up to a large band?

shelli:ranger:

They kept the small band in. The swelling went down just as they were going to re-open me and put the larger band in. The only plus to having the smaller band is that I do have natural restriction. I did not need a fill for my 6 week appt. with my surgeon.

Hi:

Just had my lap band procedure yesterday. I had no problem with any respiratory or lung issues....your anethesiaologist (sp?) should go over all of your issues with you...and ask him questions !! Good Luck

Had surgery as an out patient and was home by 7PM. Slept pretty good 4 hours, then up for an hour and another 3 hours. Put a couple of good pillows on the bed and had no problems with breathing or pain..

Good luck with your surgery !

SuzyGayle

9-22-07