Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing Your Opinion..Please

OK guys I need your opinion….

Here’s the deal I went for my first fill last month to come away with nothing, they could not find the port. OK I can deal with that.

I went again Sept 1st, still unable to find / get into, what they thought was the port. They send me to fluoro to check to make sure my port was not flipped, it’s not. I was told even though I’ve lost 65 lbs I was still to fat to get to the port because they didn’t have long enough needles. (They only have 2 inch needles) I can deal with this too.

Well… Where you come in is,

I found another Dr. who does his under fluoro if needed. His fills are $130.00. His fluoro, a extra $350.00 (not by his choice, set by clinic).

I saw him on Sept 17Th.

After 1 hour of repeated poking he managed to put in 2 cc’s but when I stood up the needle came out. So he quit.

1. He tells me that if I would have had him do a sleeve I wouldn’t be having this problem.

2. He also tells me, I need to have Him carved off the excess fat if I want to have easier future fills.

3. He also said my line is in front of my port and my port is to low…..He wants to reposition my port, while on the table.

My question for you all is ….:help:

Does it sound like he just wants my money…. Have any one of you had this problem…. ????

If my line is in front of my port don’t you think the other fluoro techs would have told me this???

This procedure all together cost me $570.00.… (fill, fluoro, fuel, not to say 10 hours of drive time.):car:

I’m now wondering if I should just go back to Mexico and see my surgeon….

What do you all think????? I need your opinions…..and to top it all off, I really like the guy...

Your experience sounds sort of like mine. I had my surgery in CO and I live in NC. I found a doc here before surgery to do my fills. He could never locate my port. He didn't numb or anything. The first time he said it was due to my seroma and then the next time he really didn't know what to say.

Finally a fillcenter came close enough for me to drive too. I drive 6 hours which is far for me, but I have turned them into minivacations. They use fluro and get it in no time.

I would have suggested to try another doc, but you already have. I hate you are going through this. I know how it feels when you want a fill. It took me over 5 months to get my first fill.

It sounds like this new doc is trying to make some extra cash. I don't understand why he'd suggest doing the sleeve now when you were just banded. What does he mean by carving off extra fat?? And just to make sure they used fluro and still couldn't get it.

Are there any other docs nearby? Or have you considered a fillcenter location?

Oh, and you are doing really great to have had no fill...Good luck w/this!!!

Thanks, I put a call into my surgeon and I think maybe I'll just make the trip. The fill Dr. basically wants to do a Tummy Tuck and then again when I get to goal. The fill center here has closed and there is supposed to be a new one opening but it will be another 2 to 3 hours to add to my drive. I had everything in order aftercare wise before surgery but they happen to be the center I saw the first 2 times so I gave up. My PCP is really good and very intune to the band so for everything but fills he's great.

Where the heck are these surgeons PUTTING your ports? I thought the idea was to have them up towards the surface and accessible. I think I would be getting a little ticked at my surgeon about this. It was HIS job to place the port in an accessible area. If he could NOT do that he should NOT have done the procedure. I personnaly would have a bone to pick with the doctor who did the procedure. BIG TIME. I don't think I would let them blame it on "how you are built". That's like a mechanic saying he can't put decent tires on a car because it's a "Ford...Chevy...whatever". It makes ZERO sense.

Where the heck are these surgeons PUTTING your ports? I thought the idea was to have them up towards the surface and accessible. I think I would be getting a little ticked at my surgeon about this. It was HIS job to place the port in an accessible area. If he could NOT do that he should NOT have done the procedure. I personnaly would have a bone to pick with the doctor who did the procedure. BIG TIME. I don't think I would let them blame it on "how you are built". That's like a mechanic saying he can't put decent tires on a car because it's a "Ford...Chevy...whatever". It makes ZERO sense.

AMEN!!!! :clap2: My DH is 200lbs over weight...our surgeon found his port with a 2 inch needle WITHOUT fluro...it took a couple of minutes and a little finess, but he got it and now DH has good restriction. Rediculous that you would be told you're too fat for a fill...REDICULOUS!!! Something wasn't done right at surgery IMHO. I agree with Kacee...pick a bone with that surgeon and please stay away from Doctor Tummy Tuck!

What I don't understand is that I'm pretty sure there are longer needles that can be used for this. How can a band clinic not be prepared for this kind of thing?

I think the doctor you most recently went to just wants your money. It's asinine to say that you should have surgery to remove fat so that he can get to your port. Unfortunately, I think you should keep looking for another doctor.

I would be having a word or two with the doctor who did the surgery in the first place. It is his responsability to make sure the port is well placed and accessible to perform fills whenever needed. If the port is properly placed fills can be done even without under fluoro (that's how my doc did all my 6 fills, he just feels it with his hand and when he locates the port under the skin he get's the needle in at first time, real smooth, no pain really).

If we weren't fat we would not need to have this band in the first place! That's a lame excuse from the other doc saying he has trouble accessing the port because of fat!...

If there's nothing wrong with the band (no erosion, slipage or similar) why doing a sleeve? it doesn't make much sense to me. Give the band a chance before considering something else.

hope things will work out.

niki