Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks-Where are you?

I am thinking of going for the band surgery, I am afraid however of any possible side effects that could be very hard to deal with. I would love to talk to someone who would give me some insight.

Hello...out there!

I am tentively scheduled July 21, 2009, through BeLite in Detriot for a Lap band surgery. My insurance did not pay so this seemed like a reasonable price. Anyone heard of them?

It is so sad that the insurance wants you to be a medical emergency or almost died in some cases before approval. Atleast, that is what i ran into. I have been active all my life with no serious health issues but cannot lose and keep off the weight. Now feeling it in my joints and knees. Did not want to wait to end up like my relatives with an endless list of major issues. thoughts? :thumbup:

5'11

290lbs

BMI-40

Hi, I am Jenny from Frazee mn and I have been banded for almost 2months now and I feel great.... Ya i felt the same way you did but I just kept telling myself that I need to be healthy for my girls, so I can see them grow up... Its really not as derastic as alot of people put it, I felt great 2 days after my surgery and I walked about 2 1/2 miles a week after and Now i have so much engery then I have in along time... So far I lost over 20 lbs and I feel great....And I hope to here more about your journey and if you want you can email me at jennifide@hotmail.com and keep me posted....

lol

Jenny

Frazee MN

Hello,

I have been looking out here waiting for a fellow Minnesotan to post something, but I guess I'll do it first to see if there is anyone out there. I know you are out there, just like me, wanting to connect with someone a little closer to home. I'll be banded on Oct. 8th at HCMC by Dr. Lederer and I am really getting excited and nervous all at the same time. I start my 2 week liquid diet next Monday and I am terrified. I know I can do it, at least that is what I keep telling myself. I am so ready to lose this extra baggage I have been carrying around for all these years. I am 5'11 and 316lbs with a bmi of around 44. I'm ready to be healthy and be able to fit in that darn airplane seat comfortably (I fly alot). Anyway, I hope someone is out there.

Wow! so nice to hear from someone in MN -Thanks a lot for the update. That is so what i need to hear right now as i am getting scared. but, you are right, when i looked at my girls, i knew i needed to take action.

My official date is July 24, at Doctors Hospital in Pontiac, MI.

My oldest daughter went through Leukemia twice and pulled through by a miracle of God. I witnessed how medical procedures helped save her life. thankly of course my issue is not the same but you know...i believe i must do something now to help me to give my future the best chance.

Any support or personal experiences would be most helpful.:) thanks

Hi fellow Minnesotans! I'm getting ready to schedule surgery on a self-pay basis with Dr. Kirshenbaum in Colorado-did anyone else go out of state for surgery?

Hey MN!!

Is anyone still out there? I have been so busy trying to do this thing - I sure could use some "Minnesota nice" about now. I live in Burnsville and have not found a support group yet. I banded July 24, lost 30lbs, but stuck right now. Eating way too much, feeling a bit defeated. Go in for second fill Nov. 5. Sure wish we had a strong group. I see there is a group downtown, one in St. Louis Park. Yet, I was hoping one could start south of the river. Life is crazy busy!! How have things been going for you?

Hi Newview;

How are you? I was just saying the same thing. I usually don't come on here often either, but its good to hear from other bandsters. I live in edina and i had mines done 2 yrs ago. I am at my goal weight.

I would love to talk!!:)

Alright now we are getting somewhere - OMGoodness!

Hey Goodtimes!!!!

Edina is close to Burnsville!:D

I would be delighted to have someone who has gone through this. I self paid and got this surgery and now feel like sink or swim kind of thing. I am struggling and need to get on track! I don't think I have hit this sweet spot that they talk about. but looking forward to my second fill this Thursday. :) do you recommend the flora fill? Was your weight loss very slow? Do you attend a local support group? I sure have a lot of questions. I would love to hear from you or anybody out there in my neck of the woods! :lol: Thanks guys- feel free to drop me a line - My personal email is veria@huerta.ws

weight.png

Hi! I live in Bloomington--close to Edina and Burnsville. I had my surgery done on 09/09/09, also on a self pay basis. I'm going to HCMC for my first fill this Friday......have lost 12 pounds so far. I can see what they mean when they say this is constant work--I am looking forward to the fill because I'm really eating everything now and in large quantities. aaakkk:blushing:

Hi mnmichelle; how are you? yes u r a newbie to this! how do you feel besides needing that fill? Like I told newview, its a slow process!! i guarantee you, u want a slow weight loss!!! that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it!!! (smile)

Hey ladies,

Goodtimes - that's some Good advice for us (hee-hee:tongue:) I guess after making the big decision to do this, we just want quicker results. But I know the learning process is what's important. They did'nt exaggerate when they said this was no quick fix, ah?

mnmichelle - we go in about the same time this month. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we feel a bit more restriction. I don't want to get stuck :thumbup: but i sure could use a little "feeling full" help. Have you found a support group?

Anyone from MN still peeking around here? I'm set for my band this Thursday, 12/10 at Methodist with Dr. Thomas Jones. That is, if I don't die on this liquid diet, first!:thumbup:

Melissa

Big Lake, MN

Howdie Melissa,

I'm still around and still hanging in there. I am doing a bit better although the holidays come with those bad days of eating. I recently found a support group through Abott in Edina that I will be attending. Support is CRUCIAL. Abott is closer than my hospital - Methodist which is in St. Louis Park. Sounds like that is were you go. I go for there for my fills.

You are embarking on a slow journey of re-learning...trail and error and baby steps. But it has been well worth it for me. I am down 30lbs. since July 25. I must admit I thought it would be more and faster. But- I am content to just keep plugging away re-training my body and mind - You will need to remember the tortiose and not the rabbit when you take this journey. Hang in there, God Bless and Good luck to you -

Newview (Veria)

Hey!!!

I have been poking around this site for over a year now and it's amazing to me how quiet us Minnesotans are!

I am in the Golden Valley/Crystal/New Hope Area. I would love to know if there is anybody out there near me. A by-weekly get together would be amazing. I haven't told anyone except my husband that I have a lapband so just having "partners in crime":cool2: would be really cool.

I have really struggled. I lost a lot fast and then stopped losing over the summer. I was having absolutely no restriction....well a port revision and two fills later, I am FINALLY starting to understand about the sweet spot and how I am getting closer!

So to those struggling it will get better! For a little bit there I was really questioning what I had done to myself.

I had my surgery in St. Louis Park with Dr. Wetherill. I really like him.:thumbup:

~A

Hey Newview,

Could you tell when and where the Edina/Abbott support group meets? I'm looking for a group.

Thanks, Vic