Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read about several people who didn't have a pre-op 1 or two week diet. Granted everyone's liver needs to shrink or lose enough weight to safely have surgery, but I was wondering if anyone didn't go on a Protein Shake diet before surgery. Did it make adaptation to the post op diet very difficult?

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I lost 99 pounds during my six-month insurance-required diet program, so my surgeon didn't ask me to do the pre-op liquid diet. I voluntarily did 3 days of liquids (2 days of Protein shakes and 1 day of clear liquids) because I felt like I needed to do it, but there was no reason to do it. I adapted to post-op life just fine (and would have without those extra 3 days I put myself through). And I ended up having to do liquids for 3 weeks post-op because I wouldn't eat any of the foods that I could add during Week 3 post-op because they were all carb laden, and I have followed a low carb lifestyle since the beginning of my pre-op diet.

The liquid diet (before and after) isn't something to prepare for. It is just something to embrace and power through. It sucks, but it isn't forever. The key is just to follow whatever directions are given to you by your surgeon.

Good luck!

Edited by blizair09

99 lbs on your own is amazing! Very inspiring! I get revised to a sleeve next week. I have lost 18lbs so far from my highest weight but I am whining like a baby about my 3 shakes a day week coming up! Now I have 2 shakes and a low carb dinner and I am already having hunger drama. I am seriously wondering HOW I will be able to do this post op! Im afraid of feeling like I am starving.

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I just finished day 2 of my 2wk pre-op liquid diet. I haven't felt that hungry but I've made sure to get my 100g of Protein a day. (Per my RN) She told me to start practicing drinking 4oz of Protein an hour to get ready for my 4wk post-op phase. She did say if you drink protein every hour it will keep your body more level and you won't have as many cravings or be as hungry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon didn't think a pre op diet was necessary. He'd said that the liver shrinking was so minimal, it didn't make a difference one way or another.

Adaption to the post op liquid diet was just as hard as anyone else's, lol. But it's more head hunger, and not true hunger. I also was on full liquids off and on for 6 weeks because of issues with GERD. The head hunger does go away, but then you just want to CHEW something. Anyway, I don't recall being actually hungry. Just cravings. That's a bit easier to deal with than actual hunger IMO.

Who knows, you may be one of those people who have total food aversion and will barely be able to get down a Protein shake, let alone be hungry or have cravings.

I wasnt required to go on any special diet, just liquids only the day before. I have mixed feelings on it, Im a week post op today and feeling much better, but the liquids are a little maddening. Because I didn't have to diet prepare myself I am having serious withdrawal now from Soda and junk food (just cravings, no headaches or nausea) man I miss it. But I don't know if I regret not doing liquid, because I want to cheat now but can't, I don't know if I would have been as strong with out the sleeve (seriously, why are we here?) so I kinda liked that I got to have my food funerals, thanksgiving with my family and just overall no pressure before surgery, because I'll have the rest of my life (i.e. Now) to behave.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My pre-op diet was a low carb diet.....similar to Atkins for two weeks prior to surgery.....I did have some low carb Protein Drinks for some of my meals during that time.....but I can tell you the ones I drank during pre-op suddenly tasted like crap after surgery...lol

I meant to add.....my post op plan wasn't all that bad to me.....I really didn't want or crave things I couldn't have.....granted my plan moved me through the stages pretty quickly though....by 4 weeks I was on regular food.< /p>

My surgeon requires a pre-op diet; however, I had lost close to 50 lbs in the 6 weeks prior to surgery so he waived the requirement for me saying I had lost enough and it wasn't necessary.

I didn't have to do a 6 months supervised diet as my BMI was over 50 so it was waived. My surgeon just asked me to start following the diet he recommends immediately so I can begin to adjust to that lifestyle prior to the surgery. That's what I followed to lose the 50lbs

I have been instructed that i will not have a preop diet. Npo after midnight is all. I dont have a date yet