Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

I love eggs. I have been enjoying them again at least once a day since I was allowed scrambled eggs on my puréed diet. But I like variety. In the past, that variety was supplied by adding bacon, sausage, scrapple, Spam, and various kinds of bread to go along with them. While I plan to reintroduce some of those eventually, things have been getting a little tedious. Scrambled, fried, scrambled, fried. Hard boiled, scrambled, fried. You get the idea.

So, I was standing in the kitchen this morning and decided I would try something different. I would poach my eggs! I have not had a poached egg for a looong time, and the last few times I did, someone else (i.e. the cook at the diner) was kind enough to poach them for me. I remembered my wife telling me that I didn't really need an egg poacher. I could poach them perfectly well in the microwave. All I had to do was put them in a dish of Water and heat things up. What could go wrong?

I found out what could go wrong. I happily assembled my cooking device, using a small pyrex dish filled with enough water to submerge my two eggs. I stuck it in the microwave, and hit the express cook button for 2 1\2 minutes. I thought I was being conservative, and would have plenty of leeway to avoid any accidents.

At that point, the aforementioned wife appeared in the kitchen to get her second cup of coffee. I explained what I was doing, and how I was looking forward to a different style of preparation. I was already starting to salivate in anticipation. Suddenly, without warning, there was a huge BOOOOM! I did not even have to look. I did not want to look. I already knew. She knew too.

I opened up the microwave to discover that 1) I was not having poached eggs for Breakfast and 2) I had a cleaning chore ahead of me. The scene was awful. It was as if the notorious kitchen terrorist, Abu bin Overcooked had planted a bomb in my eggs. There were bits of egg everywhere inside the microwave. There was even egg on the bottom of the glass carousel. I am not sure how that happened, but it did.

Suffice to say, I am sitting here bemoaning my lot, gnawing on a Quest Protein Bar for breakfast. The microwave is clean, and I will be researching a safer and more predictable method for poaching eggs. I wonder what's up at the diner this morning? ;-)

Edited by LittleBill

I learned that you can't even reheat eggs in the microwave without BOOM!

Next time, may I suggest a small sauce pan with Water and a dash of salt and vinegar? Bring to a gentle boil and crack the egg in a separate bowl. Gently pour the egg into the Water. When it's done, fish it out with a slotted spoon.

It takes three minutes and the cleanup is far more pleasant ????

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Next time, may I suggest a small sauce pan with Water and a dash of salt and vinegar? Bring to a gentle boil and crack the egg in a separate bowl. Gently pour the egg into the water. When it's done, fish it out with a slotted spoon.

It takes three minutes and the cleanup is far more pleasant

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Your method isn't nearly as entertaining though!

Simmer in Water for 3 minutes. When you are dropping them in from a small bowl, use your spoon to swirl the Water in the pan to create a vortex. Love poached.

I've done the exact same thing too! KABOOM and egg confetti all over the microwave. I got a microwave egg poacher dish at Wal-Mart. It has a lid with holes in it, so if you still over-do it the explosion is contained! ;)

So, I went for round two for the mid morning snack. I tried the method Vinasu described, with much better results. I did look on Amazon, and I can get egg cups for $9.97. They are on the way. Hey, it's a tool right? And in the words of Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor, "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need!" :P

chuckle. you painted a great visual picture. I needed a laugh today, thanks :)

@@LittleBill, your description of your 'recipe' tells me that you put the eggs still in the shells in a dish of Water. C'mon, you're the one who uses a microwave. Isn't there a law about not putting tightly-sealed containers into a microwave? Beyond that, it isn't even "poaching."

Be careful with closed containers. Someone I know had his face cut up and bruised with burns after putting an egg-in-shell in the MW. He just happened to open the door at the moment of explosion.

@@LittleBill, your description of your 'recipe' tells me that you put the eggs still in the shells in a dish of Water. C'mon, you're the one who uses a microwave. Isn't there a law about not putting tightly-sealed containers into a microwave? Beyond that, it isn't even "poaching."

Be careful with closed containers. Someone I know had his face cut up and bruised with burns after putting an egg-in-shell in the MW. He just happened to open the door at the moment of explosion.

Not even close to being right. Do you not understand humor when it is written out like this?

LOL! I have to say, the minute you started to describe what you were going to do, I was already laughing!

I used to LOVE poached eggs. They were my favorite and I used to cook them almost everyday for Breakfast (Post WLS I can no longer eat eggs at all without getting sick).

The small saucepan, with a tiny amount of vinegar is the way to go. You really don't need any fancy egg cups if you use vinegar as it keeps the whites nicely contained in the saucepan. I also break the egg into a small dish and then slowly add the egg into the Water and they turn out perfect every single time.

Best of luck to you on your new egg method! I am green with envy that you can eat them because they are a great source of Protein. Eggs are one of the things I am sad about not being able to eat and trust me, I keep on trying. I am over two years post op and they make me double over in pain for some reason.

LOL! I have to say, the minute you started to describe what you were going to do, I was already laughing!

I used to LOVE poached eggs. They were my favorite and I used to cook them almost everyday for Breakfast (Post WLS I can no longer eat eggs at all without getting sick).

The small saucepan, with a tiny amount of vinegar is the way to go. You really don't need any fancy egg cups if you use vinegar as it keeps the whites nicely contained in the saucepan. I also break the egg into a small dish and then slowly add the egg into the Water and they turn out perfect every single time.

Best of luck to you on your new egg method! I am green with envy that you can eat them because they are a great source of Protein. Eggs are one of the things I am sad about not being able to eat and trust me, I keep on trying. I am over two years post op and they make me double over in pain for some reason.

Thank you! My nutritionist gave me all sorts of dire warnings pre surgery about how tastes and tolerances might change. To make it worse, I am the person who always hears, "That never happens to anyone!" in all sorts of situations, so I was prepared for the worst.

So far things have been very good on the food front. I am very happy to report that the things I seem to have lost most of my taste for so far have been the things that got me here in the first place. I am like a reformed smoker, only with Tastykakes.

I am sorry to see you lost something you really enjoyed and is good for you to boot, but I am glad you got a laugh out of my story.

I used to LOVE poached eggs. They were my favorite and I used to cook them almost everyday for breakfast (Post WLS I can no longer eat eggs at all without getting sick).

I am the same way. I cannot eat eggs at all. I thought I was allergic to them, but I was told that I have an aversion to them. To be true allergic you have breathing problems when you eat them. But...I beg to differ with them, the cannot pass my lips or I get so deathly ill. I wish I could eat them because they are a great source of Protein. :( :(

@@shedo82773

The same happens to me with Lobster and Crab and has for about 10 years now. I saw an allergist who told me it is definately an allergy and that I should steer clear of those food items.

I currently eat shrimp all the time and she also told me not to stop because if i did it was likely that would become an allergy like lobster and crab. I have not had scallops in years and I am afraid to try it.

Even 1 bite of lobster and crab makes me deathly ill like i have food poisoning. I used to love these and there have been times post surgery where i think maybe I should just give it a try again but the fear of how ill i got the last few times i tried them, keep me from even trying.

I asked my surgeon about maybe trying them now that I dont get reflux anymore and he said absolutely not. If the allergy develops badly enough it can cause breathing issues and after not having those things for more than 10 years, i dont know if it has gotten worse.

eggs, make me sick but not like crab and lobster.