Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose between bypass and sleeve?

I just attended the information session last week and have scheduled my first appointment for next week. I'd like to know what factors made you choose the sleeve over the bypass surgery. I know the doctor will tell me ultimately which one would likely give me more success, but it in the end it is my decision. I don't have any major health issues except for fatty liver which is very common when you are overweight. What factors helped in determining your decision?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was back n forth because my doctor felt I should do the bypass because I had been taking Prilosec n I was more for the sleeve. She said let's leave it up to the results of the egd. When the results were clear she still was worried because sleevers tend to have more reflux. So I went off the Prilosec and have had no problems so I opted for the sleeve and if I have a problem later I can still take the Prilosec The bypass eliminates the problem since they bypass the stomach...

The only reason why I am back and forth is because of the long term results. Everything I have read and what the surgeon said at the info session was that there wasn't as much data long term as there is with the bypass

I was unnerved by the idea that a bypass would involve rerouting and resectioning my intestines. Knowing how dangerous "leaky gut" syndrome is and how crucial your bacterial flora is for overall health made a gastric bypass too risky for me.

The more I read about long term Vitamin and mineral deficiencies, "dumping" syndrome and the increased risk of procedure itself turned me towards a less invasive procedure.

The long term differences in success between VSG and bypass are quite small. There are, of course, some health conditions that make one or the other more preferable for some patients and this is just my own opinion formed from my own reading.

Once I was told that the sleeve make heartburn a lot worse that answer my question right there I did not want to have heartburn waking me up in the middle of the night to the point of puking nor did I want heartburn to make me puke after having surgery that's pretty much how I decided to go with the bypass

Once I was told that the sleeve make heartburn a lot worse that answer my question right there I did not want to have heartburn waking me up in the middle of the night to the point of puking nor did I want heartburn to make me puke after having surgery that's pretty much how I decided to go with the bypass

Did you suffer from heartburn prior to the surgery?

I was unnerved by the idea that a bypass would involve rerouting and resectioning my intestines. Knowing how dangerous "leaky gut" syndrome is and how crucial your bacterial flora is for overall health made a gastric bypass too risky for me.

The more I read about long term Vitamin and mineral deficiencies, "dumping" syndrome and the increased risk of procedure itself turned me towards a less invasive procedure.

The long term differences in success between VSG and bypass are quite small. There are, of course, some health conditions that make one or the other more preferable for some patients and this is just my own opinion formed from my own reading.

These are pretty much all the same reasons I'm wanting the sleeve. Doc wants me to have RNY. I'm still reading about both but am 95% sure I'm going sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

my doc steered me to bypass. though sleeve was the backup (i'm a revision). He said bypass because they know it works +years. He said sleeves look good and are nearing the 10 year mark but until a surgery has been around 10 years it isn't proven and talked about in the early days of the band it looked good too, but now they know it is not great. I also had reflux so didn't want to go through that anymore.

so basically I was already having one revision I didn't want to risk having a second.

I had a horrible big hiatal hernia and severe reflux. In fact I had developed Barrets esophagus which is precancerous. My doc was still confident if I got rid of hernia i would do well on sleeve. He was worried I would lose too much weight on RNY. I was skeptical but chose sleeve and after hernia repair i have had no reflux what so ever. None. I think i got lucky, I could not have handled more reflux it had destroyed my throat, my singing voice. So far so good.

I chose the sleeve because my surgeon prefers it. I want his best work, so his opinions matter most

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I chose sleeve over bypass six years ago when it was still considered experimental in the US. My choice was based on my daughter's advice and recommendation. She is a gastroenterologist and did not want me to risk all the long term complications and nutritional deficiencies she sees in bypass patients. I Realized, of course, as a doctor, she's really only seeing the patients with problems, not the happy, healthy ones with no issues. But the fact that she was willing to send me to Mexico for a VSG rather than have bypass paid for by insurance here in the states was a good enough reason for me.

BTW, I lost and am maintaining over 100% WLS with perfect bloodwork and no negative side effects, so I guess she knew what was best for her mom. I saw successes and failures with both surgeries in my support group, so unless you have pre existing medical/health problems that would influence the outcome of the surgery, I don't think it matters which procedure you choose. It matters more what you do with it afterwards. Good luck!