Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my band revised to rny. The lapbad is a piece of equipment and will eventually age and fail. My bet is that everyone with one will eventually need a revision. Mine lasted 11 years, but I've heard many fail at 5. My surgeon went as far as saying anyone still putting them in now should be sued for malpractice, they just don't work long term...10+ years and many people have issues with them and they have the data to support that.

My surgeon, Cleveland Clinic, no longer performs lapbands. I had the sleeve.

Er1n, I haven't heard about this. Do you know where I can go to find out info? My hubby almost died from his Lap Band. Just curious. Not so much the money wise but they need to hear his story!! Amf1025 If you are intrested in my hubby's story just let me know. It was a very scary situation.

Please share with me

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

Er1n, I haven't heard about this. Do you know where I can go to find out info? My hubby almost died from his Lap Band. Just curious. Not so much the money wise but they need to hear his story!! Amf1025 If you are intrested in my hubby's story just let me know. It was a very scary situation.

Just google lap band class action lawsuit. You'll find lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

amf1025,

Well, he had the lap band for 13 years. He did lose 100#. But his starting weight at the time was 515#s. The Surgeon said he wasn't strong enough for the RNY. Which wasn't true because at the time he was still driving log truck and long haul trucking. He was 50yo. So after the surgery, they kept having problems putting in the fill and finally ruptured the port. Back into a day surgery got that fixed. So in 2013 it malfunctioned and he couldn't hold anything down. The VA suggested that he see a Bariatric Surgeon which we did. they said he needed to have the band removed. And they would do the revision at that time to an RNY. When they got in there the band had eroded into his liver. They couldn't do the revision but removed his band and gallbladder (due to him having stones) they told him that in 3 months when he was healed they would do the RNY. He ended up getting abscesses and was deathly sick for 9 months and 3 months he doesn't even remember. So now he is healed up so we go back to the Surgeon, he tell us he won't do the WLS because he said, he was a "PROBLEM CHILD". But he did refer him to another surgeon in Portland Oregon. Now they would do his surgery when he lost 25#'s and got his A1C (he is diabetic) down to a 7 or 8. Which if he lost weight his blood sugars would go high and if his blood sugars were down he gained weight. He just couldn't get it done. So then we get the news that he has Cancer on his kidney. Which the VA didn't tell us for 3 years. Now he has to lose 150#'s before they can do anything about the kidney cancer. So then we get the money up and off to Mexico we went. On June 3, 2013 he has surgery and is supposed to get the RNY. When they got in there they found that his whole right side is solid scar tissue. They can't do the RNY so he gets the Sleeve. So here we are now he has lost 60#'s but just can't seem to get any more off. This could have all been avoided if the first surgeon would have done the RNY. When he was strong enough to go thru it. They gave him 4 years if they can't do anything about the Cancer. Maybe 2 good years but the last 2 would be HELL!!! It has been a year already. Now I just found the Keto diet so I'm going to try it. We are both going to do it. You can do it to lose or to maintain. I feel like if I can do it wth him it might make it a little easier on him. I feel almost desperate like time is running out for us. So this is how the Lap-Band has been for him. Plus we have heard that most Dr.'s don't do them hardly, but the do many revisions. Please think hard before making your mind up on which way to go. Good luck!!

amf1025,

Thank you. We are just trying and we will keep trying. Things will work out!! I'm sure. We need to keep a positive going. Again Thank you

@@amf1025, do you have GERD? If you do, you might want to consider the Bypass.

@@shedo82773, Sorry to hear about all this happening to him. I prayed this morning about adding years to people's lives just like God did for Hezekiah. He is a miracle maker and I believe it will work out for your family.

I've had the lap band for a long time. It's good but I feel lucky because most I know in real life are coming down with some serious complications. From that stand point, I'd go sleeve.

I never thought that I might have GERD? I always have a pain in my upper stomach after eating , and sometimes it hurts my chest to lay down .I will look into this. My first appt with NY surgeon is the 20th......thank you

I never thought that I might have GERD? I always have a pain in my upper stomach after eating , and sometimes it hurts my chest to lay down .I will look into this. My first appt with NY surgeon is the 20th......thank you

Cool. Keep me posted