Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really thought I wanted the lap band but now I'm wondering is the sleeve a better option ?

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

How much weight do you have to lose? I went to the surgeon with Lapband in mind - he doesn't do them and told me that 50-60% of Banders need a secondary surgery due to complications. I decided on the Sleeve. There are many successful Banders on here though. I have 120+ lbs to lose so sleeve was a better long term option.

I would recommend against the lapland. There seems to be the possibility of serious complications downstream.

RNY will give great weight loss

My surgeon's practice stop doing the band too. My band comes out November 14th and getting the bypass.

I want to lose 180 which is less that my recommend goal weight but I would be happy at 175 . my BMI is a 49

That's a significant amount to lose - I don't think your surgeon will recommend the lapband. I would recommend Sleeve or RNY. Good luck!

I really thought I wanted the lap band but now I'm wondering is the sleeve a better option ?

I had bypass Monday. When I was going thru the process of choosing my path the lapband wasn't even an option other than conversion to bypass.

I have also heard that there is a class action suit against some of the lap band makers.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon doesn't do the lapband anymore either, just too many complications and so many people have to go back and have them removed with conversion to another surgery.

You will lose the most, quickly, with RNY. But the sleeve is a very good option and quickly becoming the first choice for most people. Make an appointment and go talk to the surgeon, you have quite a bit of weight to lose.

I am BMI 40 and will have my sleeve surgery tomorrow morning. Good luck with your decision.

Well. I guess one person has to say that the lap band does hold success for some. For years.

There are some of us here, quietly working our program with success.

I'm headed for ten years.... our founder, Alex, is on 12 years I believe.

Happy to have changed my life.

Wonderful tool for my body; not so for some others.

Just the other side of the coin( Not the pancake- ha)

I had my LapBand removed and revised to VSG on 10/18/16. For me, the band caused much more trouble than I ever expected. I lost about 60 pounds and kept it off for three years. When the LapBand was working and I didn't have to fight with fills and un-fills, life was good. When things went bad, they went really bad. At the time of revision, they found that my band had slipped and I had prolapsed stomach. Nothing I did, just a failure of the device. I did all my research before being banded and I did all the routine care that my program required, but I still had a band that was a failure.

My surgeon is doing very few bands today.

And...the rate of weight loss is spectacular versus my band. I'm down 17 lbs. since pre op.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by rkimom

Er1n, I haven't heard about this. Do you know where I can go to find out info? My hubby almost died from his Lap Band. Just curious. Not so much the money wise but they need to hear his story!!

Er1n, I haven't heard about this. Do you know where I can go to find out info? My hubby almost died from his Lap Band. Just curious. Not so much the money wise but they need to hear his story!! Amf1025 If you are intrested in my hubby's story just let me know. It was a very scary situation.

I got my lap band in 2011 and hated it. Worst decision I ever made. On 10/25 I had my band removed and got the sleeve. The sleeve is not easy but I'm only 5 days post op. But I have lost 12 lbs already. Everyone deals with it differently but honestly out of all my friends 5 that got the lap band, all of them have had it removed and gotten the sleeve.

Just look at all your options.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App