Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein

<p><p>I was wondering if anyone has heard about the new-whey Protein Drink . It comes in a large test tube, and four ounces holds 42gms of Protein. My girlfriend gave me one and it tasted really good. Kind of a fruit punch flavor. Although looking back on the posts I only should have drank half instead of the whole thing at one setting. mmmmmm</p></p>

If you would have read my post I said my girlfriend gave it to me to try. I didn't say I bought it. Further more I was looking for more information about it from other users not a sarcastic come back. Thank you to the others for offering suggestions for what you use. It will make my search easier. My MD didn't suggest any. Just to find one that we like.

You misunderstood.

There wasn't an ounce of sarcasm in my post. I meant what I wrote literally. I've written long and involved posts previously explaining why this is a bad product.

Than I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I went to the Unjury site and have ordered the some of the samples. I really hate the idea of ordering a large container and not being able to stand the taste or texture. I have tried several sample packs from the health food store and have not had much luck (one of them looked and tasted like thick green pond scum). I want to find one that I know is good quality and yet not saccrifce the taste or texture. Since the Protein Shake is going to become an important part of my life.

No need to apologize. On line is a very difficult form of communication and I tend to bottom line things so that makes it even harder for those reading to understand my intent.

One thing I have learned is that there isn't a bloody thing in a health food store that is something worthy of my money. OMG that stuff is disgusting when it comes to Protein.

I think unjury unflavored is going to be your best bet because it is something you can do sooo many things with. You can add it to milk, juice, recipes, anything. Just remember if you heat whey Protein you MUST do so gradually. Mix unflavored whey in something THEN heat, stir and heat some more. Stir again and heat some more until it is hot. If you don't do it that way it will be clumpy. That's not an issue with brands but an issue with whey.

Know any banded people that live near you? I have a few friends that live close by. We all buy products and trade back and forth. I buy something and give half to a friend, she buys something and gives half to me. We never kept track of dollars and who owes who money, I'm pretty sure it has evened out over the months. We do that with protein products, food products, everything.

I've purchased things that were absolutely gross but she loved it so I gave it all to her. She's done the same.

If you can find people to trade with and share it works a lot better.

Just avoid those shots, shooters, and crappy test tube products. They are sooooo bad for you. It's a bad type of protein, collagen. Collagen is great for injecting in your skin and adding to make up type products, it's just horrible to build protein stores in your body. It has THE absolute cheapest source of protein with very expensive advertising and packaging. It's selling well but not doing a lot for those who need increased protein.

There are three of us that are going to be banded together. We all went to our siminar together and have the first appt. together. We will possibley be banded in the same month as one another. We are excited and motivated but are in the same boat as far as being newbies to this. To make matters worse we are all nurses but still have so many questions. My poor husband is even trying to help (hes a police officer) and is finding body building magazines that discuss Protein supplements. I'm not quite sure that this is the right protein for banders but he sure is trying to help. Thank you for all the info. We are really glad that those of you that have gone before us are able to give a helping hand. Esp. with the grey areas.

Whey and soy are probably the best Proteins for us, collagen is the absolute worst.

Most docs suggest about 60gms of Protein daily. Solid Proteins are best, if you can't get all 60gms in solid proteins then go to Protein supplements.

Try to consume no more than 25gms of protein at a time. More than that and your body won't really absorb it well at all and what isn't used needs to be burned or it turns to fat. It's really tempting to buy the products that have 40-60gms of protein in one serving to get it over with once daily but you really aren't doing yourself any favors if you do that.

Give your body about 4 hours between protein intake.

Don't depend on body building mags, they have different requirements and different needs than we do. They are trying to build muscle, we are trying to maintain muscle. With massive weight loss you WILL lose muscle mass, it's a given. There is no way around it. The idea we have is to maintain as much muscle mass as possible and to lose as little as possible.

The best times to consume protein are early AMs, after hard work outs (hard cardio or muscle resistance), and PMs.

During the liquid stage of the post op diet do your best to keep protein up and cut out ALL white carbs. White carbs will give you blood sugar spikes and as you know, that's what tells the body it wants food. You'll be so hungry you'll want to chew on your right arm. Cut out white carbs and keep protein up and you'll only deal with head hunger. If you have to battle head hunger and stomach hunger will will cave and fail the post op instructions.

There you go, Bandster protein 101. :eek: :D :woot: :woot:

I will pass this onto the girls in the morning. LW will be into relieve me in a few hours and I am busting to have her read these post's. Are you usually up this late at night or do you work odd hours like I do? It's great talking to someone knowledgable about this.

Schedule? I have no schedule. :) I work out of my home now and sometimes I'm up early in the AMs, sometimes I'm up in the middle of the night, I'm off and on line all day.

I have pretty well devoted the last 9-10 months to weight loss and educating myself on what is myth and what is fact. I have read every study I can get my hands on, I talk to doctors, I watch bariatric surgical procedures, I read posts, I read journal articles, I pretty much read everything I can get my hands on. I pick the brains of pretty much everyone that will let me, I value a patient's experiences every bit as much as I do an unbanded MD's education and experience.

I researched doctors and procedures to the point of ridiculous before I was banded. I devote a huge amount of time to this and will continue as long as I need to so I can close the fat chapter of my life once and for all.

My goal is to be banded, lose 102 pounds, and have plastic surgery all within one year. I was banded 12/6/06, I am almost to goal, and my Tummy Tuck is scheduled for 12/3/07.

I *will* meet my goals and that is how I am doing it.

I liked the "New Whey" but when I spoke with my surgeon's nutritionist, she said to definitely not take any Proteins with with collagen, ie... collagenic Protein. These are not 100% whey and are not helpful in the aid of losing weight.

FYI: Also, I spoke with her about the ingestion and absorption of protein and she said that us "Lapbanders" can absorb everything no matter what the grams of protein are.

People who had the RNY are the ones that can only absorb certain amounts of protein.

I liked the "New Whey" but when I spoke with my surgeon's nutritionist, she said to definitely not take any Proteins with with collagen, ie... collagenic Protein. These are not 100% whey and are not helpful in the aid of losing weight.

FYI: Also, I spoke with her about the ingestion and absorption of Protein and she said that us "Lapbanders" can absorb everything no matter what the grams of protein are.

People who had the RNY are the ones that can only absorb certain amounts of protein.

Please tell your nutritionist that she is the most wonderful person in the whole world and I was not a female I might just love her.

Many nutritionists get tired of hearing us complain about the flavors and tastes of whey and soy and having a hard time finding a product we tolerate well. So they finally just tell you to drink whatever you want. They get lazy.

New Whey has some whey and lots of collagen. Other test tube products have all collagen. Whey is a byproduct of cheese, collagen is essentially boiled horse/cow skin, fur, hooves, and joint ligaments. Whey is quality, collagen is the cheap crap they make dog food from.

Please, hug your nutritionist for me because she is wonderful!