Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve Failure

Hi beautiful people.

A couple weeks ago i posted a thread about having had a failed lap band (due to bad actual complications) and then a failed sleeve (will post original post at the end).

Today i went to the doctor, after telling him everything he was a bit appalled, and immediately recommended the duodenal switch.

I feel like a failure, but he made me feel great and didn't put me down, willing to help me so much. I'm so happy!

Anyone have any advice?

thanks!!

original post:

Hello. i'm new on here.

just want to share my story to seek advice.

when i was 15 back in 2008, i got the lap band.

it was the worst experience ever. i was only loosing weight because i threw up EVERY SINGLE bit of food i ate. i lost 80lb very very quickly and i was extremely sick.

my doctor said it shouldn't be happening, so instead of trying to fix it he drained my band. After a year i started to gain weight.

In 2012 i was revised to the gastric sleeve. at this time, this procedure was brand new to my doctor, he hadn't done it before. I got it done quickly after the appointments with him, maybe 3 months.

i was a slow loser for a whole year. it took me a year to lose 70 pounds, even eating what i thought was healthy (Protein first and some vegetables and brown rice, wha i was taught). i wasn't never really taught about carbs at all, always just eat "whole grain everything but eat your Protein first and you should be fine" none of the information that i learned now from the fb group.

i got into my first relationship, went to the DR and was diagnosed with PCOS, like lots of girls are. I was put on birth control and as soon as i did my weight **** up. as it shot up and me not knowing why i threw myself into a mind change that i couldn't shake out. while working 2 jobs (13 hour days) i began to lose care about myself, and regained most my weight, shooting back up to 230.

i hadn't noticed the weight gain for a while, either because i'd stopped weighing myself.

last year i started to exercise and count my calories and lost 20 lbs. even continuing it again, i have not budged.

My mom just had the sleeve, and can eat WAY less then i ever was able to. I am kind of jealous :(

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm so sorry this has happened to you..I have no idea why! I've never heard of it before but I'm still pretty new!!

I cannot imagine three surgeries starting at age 15. Hope you found a new surgeon. Good luck.

I am also a Band-to-Sleeve failure - thank you homeesiick for starting this thread.

I got a band back in 2010 when I weighed 330 pounds. The band worked great, because I lost 85 pounds, but I was throwing up each time I ate anything. I would even have slime come out of my nose! All the vomiting put a lot of strain on my esophagus and the part of my stomach above the band, where the strain ended up tearing a hole in my stomach. I saw another doctor and he revised me to a sleeve in 2015. The sleeve worked for a while, but I slowly started regaining weight and I am now close to my pre-band weight. My doctor recommended I get duodenal switch, and I am now waiting for approval from my insurance company.
My doctor thinks a contributing reason why my sleeve didn’t work is because of all the damage done to my esophagus by the band.
I would be curious to know how many other people have had a Band-to-Sleeve failure.
Thanks

I am also a Band-to-Sleeve failure - thank you homeesiick for starting this thread.

I got a band back in 2010 when I weighed 330 pounds. The band worked great, because I lost 85 pounds, but I was throwing up each time I ate anything. I would even have slime come out of my nose! All the vomiting put a lot of strain on my esophagus and the part of my stomach above the band, where the strain ended up tearing a hole in my stomach. I saw another doctor and he revised me to a sleeve in 2015. The sleeve worked for a while, but I slowly started regaining weight and I am now close to my pre-band weight. My doctor recommended I get duodenal switch, and I am now waiting for approval from my insurance company.

My doctor thinks a contributing reason why my sleeve didn’t work is because of all the damage done to my esophagus by the band.

I would be curious to know how many other people have had a Band-to-Sleeve failure.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, it made me feel so much better.

Hearing how much i've always been able to eat compared to his sleeve patients (a lot more, since the beginning), and the amount of pain i have in my esophagus specially with the new acid reflux i have been getting out of no where, he believes something was done wrong, i will find out on my next appointment in november.

i'm curious to know too! i felt like such a failure and a loser but my doctor really helped to pull me out of that black hole and wants to help with something that will permanently keep me on track, like the switch.

Also, i was extremely young getting the band, but even as i went to get the sleeve (which was brand new to my team of doctors st the time it was done to me) i still wasn't given the right information or guidance that i'm sure doctors are able to give now that the sleeve is more developed.

The surgery is supposed to be a tool. When I got my sleeve 3 or the 5 other bariatric patients were having lap band revisions so maybe it wasn't the best tool... but I would think seriously about having a third surgery maybe this isn't the best choice for you in the long run.

right,

and my tool was not done correctly, after an endoscopy and esophagram were done. i also had complications from the lapband that i didn't know about.

and yes, i started to abuse my tool after it not working no matter what i did. That is absolutely my fault. i just had given up after two years.

it wasn't until NOW that i learned about carb intake, this, that,even hair loss i was nevr taught about.

With bariatric surgery, it is important to look at the needs of the individual patient, because each patient's needs are unique. The one-size-fits-all approach to medicine is not good medicine!

I wish you the best of luck. I couldn't imagine having gone through all of this since 15!?! Also You lost a pretty good amount of weight after the sleeve-- I'm not sure what your starting weight was but when you say you were back up to 230 I assume it was around that??? -70lbs I'm guessing would've put you at about 160? Which is nothing to sneeze at!!!!

I'm sure you probably could have lost more if carb intake had been limited a bit more during your weight loss phase. My surgeon didn't banish it but with my PCOS-- my body doesn't process carbs well so other than whats naturally found in fruit and veggies and an occasional dressing or dip I try not to consume carbs if possible. Granted I may have a few mini pretzels with hummus or whole wheat crackers with tuna BUT it is very far and few between and far less than the serving size suggests.

How is your exercise? Again with PCOS I understand I have to work 3 times as hard to lose,burn off weight so as soon as I was able my goal was to workout 4-5 days a week 1 hour daily. Coupled with my new eating regimen and limited portions the combo has proven successful. But again it takes a consistent approach to all of those components-- all the time. Now it's quite natural. I'm only 4 1/2 months out but each day gives birth to my new lifestyle.

Sounds like you were diagnosed after your surgery but it's extremely helpful knowing how PCOS affects you. My mindset going into this was totally different than it would have been had I not known about my PCOS. Again I wish you the best in whatever decision you make towards a healthier new you.

With bariatric surgery, it is important to look at the needs of the individual patient, because each patient's needs are unique. The one-size-fits-all approach to medicine is not good medicine!

i wish more people thought like you! good point to make.

I wish you the best of luck. I couldn't imagine having gone through all of this since 15!?! Also You lost a pretty good amount of weight after the sleeve-- I'm not sure what your starting weight was but when you say you were back up to 230 I assume it was around that??? -70lbs I'm guessing would've put you at about 160? Which is nothing to sneeze at!!!!

I'm sure you probably could have lost more if carb intake had been limited a bit more during your weight loss phase. My surgeon didn't banish it but with my PCOS-- my body doesn't process carbs well so other than whats naturally found in fruit and veggies and an occasional dressing or dip I try not to consume carbs if possible. Granted I may have a few mini pretzels with hummus or whole wheat crackers with tuna BUT it is very far and few between and far less than the serving size suggests.

How is your exercise? Again with PCOS I understand I have to work 3 times as hard to lose,burn off weight so as soon as I was able my goal was to workout 4-5 days a week 1 hour daily. Coupled with my new eating regimen and limited portions the combo has proven successful. But again it takes a consistent approach to all of those components-- all the time. Now it's quite natural. I'm only 4 1/2 months out but each day gives birth to my new lifestyle.

Sounds like you were diagnosed after your surgery but it's extremely helpful knowing how PCOS affects you. My mindset going into this was totally different than it would have been had I not known about my PCOS. Again I wish you the best in whatever decision you make towards a healthier new you.

thank you so much for your reply!

i currently am still learning about my pcos.

I went through trouble with gynos, too.

My first gyno literally said "You have PCOS, but i don't want to hear you asking me what it is, and i don't want you to go crazy researching it because you're too young and won't understand, until i get rblood tests back"

never went back to her. went to someone else who diagnosed me the same day, and i learned about the hormonal issues, so now i'm learning about food issues.

it is hard and frustrating, but i'm getting it sorted out now! I also am being tested for endometriosis or adenomiosis, so before they regulate my pcos with a new contraceptive and medicine, they want to sort that out first.

my exercise has been horrible lately. I have been working and going to school both full time, so i haven't had the time this last two months. utterly disappointed in myself.

but when i was doing it, i was trying my hardest to do HIT. I can't last as long doing it as i would like because of my asthma, but i did get to a point where i was getting better st it but still no weight loss after a certain amount. that's what i will start up again though, it did make me feel the best.

I went through trouble with gynos, too.

My first gyno literally said "You have PCOS, but i don't want to hear you asking me what it is, and i don't want you to go crazy researching it because you're too young and won't understand, until i get rblood tests back"

never went back to her. went to someone else who diagnosed me the same day, and i learned about the hormonal issues, so now i'm learning about food issues.

it is hard and frustrating, but i'm getting it sorted out now! I also am being tested for endometriosis or adenomiosis, so before they regulate my pcos with a new contraceptive and medicine, they want to sort that out first.

my exercise has been horrible lately. I have been working and going to school both full time, so i haven't had the time this last two months. utterly disappointed in myself.

but when i was doing it, i was trying my hardest to do HIT. I can't last as long doing it as i would like because of my asthma, but i did get to a point where i was getting better st it but still no weight loss after a certain amount. that's what i will start up again though, it did make me feel the best.

I'm sorry to see that people on this thread have not all been treated with the respect and dignity they deserve by their doctors. I know it's not always possible, but if you are not happy with your doctor, find another one. You can also leave a review on Healthgrades.com when you're not happy. A few years ago I felt like I was bullied by a sleep medicine doctor. Luckily I was able to find someone much better. I also wasn't satisfied with the group that did my lap-band, because they made me see my PCP and a dietitian before I could see a Bariatric doctor. I now drive 2 hours to see my current Bariatric doctor, but it's worth it.

Anyhow, I've been approved by my insurance company for DS surgery, and I'm scheduled to have it early next month.

The sleeve is the same size that it was after your recovery. Are you going to treat your underlying eating disorder before getting another surgery?

The sleeve is the same size that it was after your recovery. Are you going to treat your underlying eating disorder before getting another surgery?

Please don't bring your naive ignorance and negativity onto my post, thanks!