Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Financial Assistance

So my surgery is covered 90% I have BCBS who has seemed to be pretty good but then I realized I am not even half way thru my $2500 deductible and my psych appt alone is charging $360 out of pocket not to mention everything..all my other appointments. Needless to say I broke down felt so defeated and discouraged but I am so set on getting this done by January I continue to pray but I know I also need to do my part so does anyone know of any financial assistance that may be able to assist me thru this? I don't mind making payments as I go but paying this all at once or all within a month is just not going to work for me I'm doing this on my own and have a mass of other monthly bills to uphold....I'm so stressed out hurt and disappointed with all this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I sold my truck to pay for this... Seriously, sell everything that isn't nailed down. I paid for mine completely out of my pocket and it is worth every single penny.

20160522_120054_zpsg1v5egvt.jpg

Also, check with your Bariatric center. A lot have financial assistance if you meet criteria. If not they may have some companies you can go through to finance your surgery

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Nikkicee

@@Natalina,

I feel the same way as you. I just found this out yesterday. Not only that, just as I am losing weight, now they tell me i need to gain weight so I can qualify. I started out at 240, now im 222. I need to be back at 240 by February.

I don't know what to do because I have BCBS too and my insurance at work is going up. My deductible is 100% after a 3800 deductible is met.

My surgery is not until February, but I'm not going to have that money by then. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it either.

Do a Google search on getting a Bariatric surgery loan. I guess.

Has anyone been able to get approved for assistance from the hospital? I was told by both Kasier and the facility where my surgery will be that bariatric is considered elective so would not be eligible. Just curious.....

I work in a hospital doing patient access, usually we don't offer people with insurance discounts. It's idiotic. They *WILL* however help you set up payment arrangements. Call the hospitals main admissions and ask to speak to a financial counselor, they can usually help you with a lot including fighting your insurance, payment arrangements and everything else.

Don't give up hope!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

@@Natalina,

I feel the same way as you. I just found this out yesterday. Not only that, just as I am losing weight, now they tell me i need to gain weight so I can qualify. I started out at 240, now im 222. I need to be back at 240 by February.

I don't know what to do because I have BCBS too and my insurance at work is going up. My deductible is 100% after a 3800 deductible is met.

My surgery is not until February, but I'm not going to have that money by then. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it either.

Do a Google search on getting a Bariatric surgery loan. I guess.

It's crazy that they didn't explain this about your weight!! I had a similar thing, I started looking into WLS a couple of years ago and was told since I was not quite BMI 40 and didn't have the necessary co-morbidities there was no way my insurance, BCBS Texas, would pay. My husband and I briefly considered self pay but decided not to at the time. Then I just gave up and quit trying to lose. Well, when I don't try to lose I gain. This past summer I realized I had gained enough to be right at BMI 40. SO......I called another surgeon, got an appointment for early August, did the necessary testing (mainly just a psych eval), everything was submitted to insurance, I was approved and my surgery will be on Halloween!

We have to cover 20% of the cost but it's worth it, so much less than self paying the entire thing.

Most hospitals and doctors will offer financing, one program I know of is called Care Credit. Research it, and good luck.