Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Talk About the M Word

I'm 9 months out tomorrow and currently 147 which is 2 pounds away from goal. I should be over the moon ecstatic, instead the closer I get to goal the more apprehensive I become. I have yo-yo dieted for the last 15 years of my life. I've become a pro at losing weight, but I obviously suck at maintaining weight loss. In the past, I'll lose 40 gain 45 back. Wallow in misery for a while and then lose 35 gain 40 back. I'm sure you're all familiar with the pattern. I've been losing consistently for 9 months, it's the longest stretch of time that I have ever kept losing without becoming complacent. I worry about what will happen when the scale stops going down. Have I become addicted to the little rush I get every time it moves down? How will I handle it emotionally? In the past, if the scale wasn't going down , it was going up. I was shopping last weekend and realized I have never shopped with maintenance in mind. I bought my clothes with a disposable mindset because who knew if I'd fit them next week let alone next season! For the vets, how did you wrap your mind around maintenance? Thr realization that this is you forever, not just you for your birthday weight or swimsuit weight or high school reunion weight but forever and for reals weight???

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

Yes understand this perfectly. It's almost like another addiction, isn't it?

Sent from me to you!

@@losergrl75 you are speaking to my life! This is a very interesting topic to think about. My goal weight is very similar to yours but I still have a ways to go. I am hoping to get there in about the same time as you. My thoughts are that I would be excited and living the dream when I get to where you are but I can TOTALLY see where you are coming from. Hopefully a few vets can offer their perspective on life during maintenance. I would love to see more topics about the struggles of people who are at goal weight and what their challenges are and what to keep in mind as you transition into maintenance. I think it would be a great way to keep the vets engaged and supported and a great way to see what life is like during maintenance. Maybe there is more stuff about it I should probably go searching... Congrats to you and I look forward to hearing more about your transition.

Yes understand this perfectly. It's almost like another addiction, isn't it?

Sent from me to you!

It really is, you feel addicted to the rush of the scale going down!

@@losergrl75 you are speaking to my life! This is a very interesting topic to think about. My goal weight is very similar to yours but I still have a ways to go. I am hoping to get there in about the same time as you. My thoughts are that I would be excited and living the dream when I get to where you are but I can TOTALLY see where you are coming from. Hopefully a few vets can offer their perspective on life during maintenance. I would love to see more topics about the struggles of people who are at goal weight and what their challenges are and what to keep in mind as you transition into maintenance. I think it would be a great way to keep the vets engaged and supported and a great way to see what life is like during maintenance. Maybe there is more stuff about it I should probably go searching... Congrats to you and I look forward to hearing more about your transition.

It's weird because on the one hand, I am definitely feeling myself lol But on the other hand, I'm freaking out the closer I get to goal. I think the old worries resurface that this will be just another failed diet. It's hard to transition from the diet mindset to the lifestyle mindset. I guess I thought I'd have it all figured out by the time I hit goal.........

I have wondered about this too. I am currently about 25 pounds or so from my goal of 140 and I have never been in a normal size/weight in my life. I spent most of my adult life being over 300 pounds. Now to be so close and see it within reach freaks me out a bit. I plan to be done losing and at goal by the end of the year and I wonder ok so what happens then?

Edited by reree6898

This is actually a huge concern of mine and I haven't had the surgery yet. The psychologist said that's self esteem issues... While I can agree to an extent, the fact is I haven't been of "average" weight since I was 10.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I have wondered about this too. I am currently about 25 pounds or so from my goal of 140 and I have never been in a normal size/weight in my life. I spent most of my adult life being over 300 pounds. Now to be so close and see it within reach freaks me out a bit. I plan to be done losing and at goal by the end of the year and I wonder ok so what happens then?

This! I keep wondering, ok what's next???