Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started great now its slowed, should i worry

Hi all, im nearly 4 weeks post op, the first 2 week after i lost 15 lbs, the next week i lost another 10 lbs, i was really happy with this, i was also on the liquid stage at this time, i went on to the pureed stage just over a week ago, had another weigh in last sunday and though its still a loss it was only 4 lbs, yes im happy as it was still a loss but cant get my head around the reasons why it was small compared to what it has been, is because i went to the pureed diet or is it a sign of things to come?

Things are going to slow down. That's just a natural thing that occurs with or without surgery. It'll still come off pretty steady but most likely not nearly as fast as the first month. Most of it is Water weight. Your body is trying to regain control so be prepared for slower weight loss. So long as it doesn't stop all together just go with it. You'll learn your patterns once you start upping your calories and getting more exercise. It's all a learning process and we never stop learning ????. I hear its common to run into a stall 3 weeks out. Just use other units of measurement, like clothing. You'll notice a bigger difference that way sometimes than in numbers on the scale. Hope that helped. Im only 5 days out so these are all things I've gathered prior to this process. You've done amazing so far! Keep up the hard work and you'll keep seeing results!????

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Torriluv87

You have to understand how the body loses weight.

At the beginning, the easiest thing for it to drop is Water. That's why at the start of most diets, your first week is BIG. You didn't lose fat weight, you lost Water weight with some fat. Also, remember that the first week or two, you're struggling to get calories in your body. The further along you get, the more calories you can get in. If your calorie consumption goes up, then your caloric deficit gets smaller.

Also bear in mind that you're losing muscle mass due to the extreme calorie deficit (that's why Protein is so important, at LEAST the minimum requirement and more if you can). So when you lose muscle mass, you're losing a huge source of calorie burning potential, at rest OR in exercise. So that will cause weight loss to slow, as well.

Really, the whole thing, regardless of surgery, is calories in vs. calories out. Always has been. One way you can boost the calories out is through exercise, and when you're cleared to lift weights, I strongly suggest you do it...and when you do it, be drinking your Protein shake DURING your workout, and after. You really want to keep those muscles up, to keep your calorie burning going strong. Otherwise, you'll find that you can just increase your calorie intake but your calorie burning suffers, and your weight loss will of course slow.

One pound of fat is roughly 3,500 calories. Say every day you are taking in 1,000 calories less than your body needs to maintain its current weight (its TDEE). That means you'll lose 1 pound in 3.5 days, or an average of two pounds per week. If you have a four pound loss in one week, that means your caloric deficit is still pretty huge. On a normal diet, the recommendation is to shoot for 1-2 pounds lost per week. So four pounds is great.

Edited by PorkChopExpress

Thanks when did you have surgery

Sent from my SM-N930P using the BariatricPal App

You have to understand how the body loses weight.

At the beginning, the easiest thing for it to drop is Water. That's why at the start of most diets, your first week is BIG. You didn't lose fat weight, you lost Water weight with some fat. Also, remember that the first week or two, you're struggling to get calories in your body. The further along you get, the more calories you can get in. If your calorie consumption goes up, then your caloric deficit gets smaller.

Also bear in mind that you're losing muscle mass due to the extreme calorie deficit (that's why Protein is so important, at LEAST the minimum requirement and more if you can). So when you lose muscle mass, you're losing a huge source of calorie burning potential, at rest OR in exercise. So that will cause weight loss to slow, as well.

Really, the whole thing, regardless of surgery, is calories in vs. calories out. Always has been. One way you can boost the calories out is through exercise, and when you're cleared to lift weights, I strongly suggest you do it...and when you do it, be drinking your Protein shake DURING your workout, and after. You really want to keep those muscles up, to keep your calorie burning going strong. Otherwise, you'll find that you can just increase your calorie intake but your calorie burning suffers, and your weight loss will of course slow.

One pound of fat is roughly 3,500 calories. Say every day you are taking in 1,000 calories less than your body needs to maintain its current weight (its TDEE). That means you'll lose 1 pound in 3.5 days, or an average of two pounds per week. If you have a four pound loss in one week, that means your caloric deficit is still pretty huge. On a normal diet, the recommendation is to shoot for 1-2 pounds lost per week. So four pounds is great.

Hi there

Thanks for that PorkChop, really good info there, i keep doing my daily walking routine and have my 1st post op appt now with my surgeon on the 1st Nov so once he signs me off i'll be swimming twice a week, still carrying on with the walking and also have my mountain bike ready to go once i feel up to it.

@@Ninjagogo that is great I've been having a hard thine walking i love hearing how mobile you are. Im 4weeks postop and still not strong enough and having pain. Are you following a diet?

Hi there roxy, and thanks, luckily i have been pretty much pain free all the way through so far, apart from the 2nd week after surgery when i tried to get on my motorbike, it didnt go down well lol. Yes my diet at ate mo is just pureed stuff, my typical day consists of porridge for Breakfast, light custard or low fat low sugar jelly for mid morning snack, either some tuna in light mayo or mackeral fillets in Tomato sauce for lunch or something like that, very small pot of light rice pudding for afternoon snack and then something like a soft omlette or baked Beans with some Protein cheese melted in for evening meal, it sounds like i'm eating lots but in reality i am only managing around 10 to 12 half teaspoons at each meal so its not lots

9/23. Over the last couple decades plus, I've become a bit of a subject matter expert on weight loss and weight lifting. I could just never actually lose all of my weight or keep it off, body put up too much of a fight every time. Hence surgery :)

Thanks when did you have surgery

@@Ninjagogo that is great I've been having a hard thine walking i love hearing how mobile you are. Im 4weeks postop and still not strong enough and having pain. Are you following a diet?

Hi there roxy, and thanks, luckily i have been pretty much pain free all the way through so far, apart from the 2nd week after surgery when i tried to get on my motorbike, it didnt go down well lol. Yes my diet at ate mo is just pureed stuff, my typical day consists of porridge for Breakfast, light custard or low fat low sugar jelly for mid morning snack, either some tuna in light mayo or mackeral fillets in Tomato sauce for lunch or something like that, very small pot of light rice pudding for afternoon snack and then something like a soft omlette or baked Beans with some Protein cheese melted in for evening meal, it sounds like i'm eating lots but in reality i am only managing around 10 to 12 half teaspoons at each meal so its not lots

Thanks alot for answering. I hope i can start feeling like you soon but after hearing your stiry i will be braver and try more activity. I guess i just get scared I'll hurt myself.

That stuff is all good exercise, but bear in mind that it's primarily aerobic. That is good for a burn while you do the activity, and you may add a little bit of muscle that way, but weight training is by far the most efficient way to add muscle and thereby increase your calorie burning potential. And don't worry, you won't wake up in the morning looking like a pro wrestler :)

Thanks for that PorkChop, really good info there, i keep doing my daily walking routine and have my 1st post op appt now with my surgeon on the 1st Nov so once he signs me off i'll be swimming twice a week, still carrying on with the walking and also have my mountain bike ready to go once i feel up to it.

Hahaha that is deffo a look i dont want to go for, luckily there is a small gym around the back of where i work and my friend at work has offered to go with me on a saturday lunch time after work for an hour or so, something i will be adding to my list of things to aswell

This is a marathon, not a sprint. You just had major surgery. Getting well is your priority. Healing is more about your stomach, which has just been cut and stapled, than the external wounds.

Rest, drink Water, follow your plan, heal.

Walk. Slowly if necessary.

I kept my Water in another room so I had to go get it every 30 minutes at first, even when I was really ill post op.

You don't have to do anything fancy to help your body get well. Rest lots, walk some, drink constantly, get Protein in. Follow your eating plan, don't deviate until your sleeve is healed.

Put the scales away. Getting healthy and well is what matters first.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm in the same boat. Kinda expected it after seeing multiple posts like this one on here. I literally just walked out of my 5 week post op visit and I'm only down 6 lbs in two and half weeks.

Over all I'm down 42lbs since my sleeve on 9-6 so I'm doing good. Like I said I expected this but it still sucks to see the numbers drop so greatly in the first two weeks and then so slowly in the last two weeks.

Keep your head up, and remind your self you did this to be healthy not for a number on the scale. My bottom line is if I'm healthier than that's what matters most.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App