Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexpected results

Hello all,

I wanted to write an update to my status. I was banded on the 25th as many of you know and so far it's been a real eye opener. I did not expect to be in as much pain as I was that first week. I thought I'd be able to return to work after a couple days and I ended up having to take the whole week off.

So now this is my first week back at work and the only thing that bugs me is sitting at my desk for so many hours at a time straight off. I also work in an ancient Victorian building so we have only staircases and my office is on the second floor, so I'm up and down stairs all day. (good way to get my steps in, I guess)

All my surgi-strips are off now and everything is healing quite nicely. I still look like I've gone a few rounds in the ring with my bruising around the long incisions. One of them looks kinda sunken in where they had to put a extra stitch in the muscle wall. I told my doc I hope I don't heal all dented like that but he assures me it won't....hmmmm. The other incisions are completely flat so this one bugs me.

I guess the biggest news is so far I've lost 12 pounds. It may be more than that as I started my monthly two days ago so not sure how much Water retention will be there. I only lost 4 pre-op so I was scared things would go slowly. I have two more weeks left on liquids then 3 weeks of mucshies, then on to solids...it feels like forever because I would love to chew something. I do get the odd hunger pain (or head hunger, not sure) but for the most part I just find it challenging enough to keep choking down those damn Protein shakes and Soups. I am managing 2 litres of Water a day (yuck)

It's more boredom than hunger I think????:bored

I think I might try that. I keep telling myself I'll soon be through this and can chew again. Its not really been that huge a deal because for the most part I don't feel hunger or weakness.

I think the pre-op diet did alot to eliminate those cravings and initial weakness and hungers. I wondered for a couple days what that heavy stuck-ish feeling was in my chest when I would drink my Protein stuff til I finally realized it was called being 'full'. lol

Kitty......I too found the post-op period more challenging than I thought. I have had 2 C-Sections so I thought it couldn't be that bad! I too tried to go back to work that first week but luckily my husband and I own the business so I didn't have to work full days!I did "cheat" on the full liquid phase.....I too got really bored with liquids! But now that I am 3 months out all that seems like a blur! I am very happy with the results.....and am getting my third fill next week so that should help make the push for the next 10 lbs easier! Good luck to you and your journey!

congrats on your progress, you're doing fantastic!

I work for my hubs by day so I was able to get that week off without too much complaining. (As if he would dare!) lol

I wish my doc would fill as soon as yours did. We have to wait 8 weeks....argh!

Wow! I was banded on 8/27 and my Steri-Strips don't look like they are even close to coming off!

Today is my first day back to work.

I was banded on 8/27 and still have the steri-strips too. I have to agree with Kitty on the recovery process - I thought it would not be as painful as it was. I took a week off from work and was to go back today but that was just not possible. Sitting in a chair or standing for more than 5 mins is too painful so I took another couple of days off from work. But with that said - today is the best I have felt all week! I still have alot of pain but at least it doesn't take my breath away :-) Hopefully by Thursday I should be able to manage the pain, breathe, drive and go back to work (desk job). I wish everyone a healthy fast recovery!

Wow, thats exactly what I meant about recovery, Shelby. It takes everyone different times to heal. It's all very individual and has nothing to do with what kind of person we are or how we personally handle pain. It bugs me when I see people on here criticize others in a offhand way for having pain or not returning to work when 'they' did.

What I found with my steri strips is they looked much ickier than they actually were. Most of the matter that was showing thru the strips was all dried goo. I carefuly lifted the strips to see if they actual incision was dried, if so I just took it off and carefully cleaned the area with a mild baby soap and let the air get to it for a couple days. Oxygen is just the greatest thing to aid in healing. I've learned that from my plastic surgeries. After the incisions were fully dried and not goopy looking I started applying A & D ointment (get it at Walmart in the baby aisle where the diapers, ointments and wipes are) that I had left over in the cabinet from my son's diaper rash days. As of today even my scabs are gone and it's new skin coming in. That ointment is fantastic.

It is weird how everyone's experience is so different. From recovery - to what your doctor tells you to do - to what you can eat - etc ...<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

I didn't have any pain at all, not even in the hospital.<O:p</O:p

My incisions are starting to get really itchy. I'm trying my best not to mess with them. <O:p</O:p

Thanks for the tip on the A & D ointment.<O:p</O:p

<O:p

I was banded on the 24th of August and I'm doing well. I'm hardly in any pain anymore and I also have lost 12lbs. (woohoo voodoo kitty!) I am having great difficult with my Protein Shakes. I've been only getting 1 in for the past couple of days. I have Soup or Water. On the 7th I make the switch to mushies, I can't wait!! Cottage cheese will be my savior. I also bought (and drank) a special k Protein water. It has 50 cal. and 5 gms. of protein, it wasn't bad. I am also addicted to lapbandtalk, I am learning so much! It's like I have personal medical advice when ever I want, it's great. :eek: :mad: :o:)

It is nice to hear what everyone is going through post-op. I was banded Aug 30th and my 1st day back was yesterday(PM only). I was sore and had ALOT of gas. By the end of the day the pain moved to my back and I was in tears. I am so happy to say that I am feeling so much better today. I will continue to keep up with everyones progress.

i was banded 3 weeks ago stillhealing but i can eat what ever i want is this bad all i have to do is chew real good will a fill help me see doc tomorrow