Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated on Pre Op Diet

Don't beat yourself up. It happens.

It's interesting that there are so many pre op diets out there. I'm allowed to have 100g of Protein each day (as well as my shakes and vegies). My surgeon said it is ok to have a tiny bit more meat if I'm still hungry. Whereas my sister's surgeon said 50g meat and as many vegies as she likes.

I'm curious. What does everyone's pre op diet entail?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My pre op is low carbs, low sugar, high Protein. They didn't tell me gram goals.

Don't beat yourself up. It's not easy to just flip a switch and change years of bad habits. I don't agree at all that this might mean you aren't ready for the surgery. Tomorrow is another day.

Thank you. That's how I feel as well. After surgery it will be completely different. I won't be as hungry. I will actually be full on a little bit of food. Where as now, it's like I don't get full.

It's interesting that there are so many pre op diets out there. I'm allowed to have 100g of Protein each day (as well as my shakes and vegies). My surgeon said it is ok to have a tiny bit more meat if I'm still hungry. Whereas my sister's surgeon said 50g meat and as many vegies as she likes.

My pre-op diet was 9 days of full liquids and then 1 day of Clear Liquids. Sucked so much. I was never full and always hungry.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I had chicken tenders and fries....

I have surgery Thursday and some days I feel like I am not strong enough and I am scared. I hate that food controls my life like this.

OP- you are not the only one who has cheated and so while not trying to beat you up- you rightfully should be concerned that you may not ready. This isn't to say that perfection is required but it is to say that there are countless people who have this surgery without being equipped with the tools to handle challenges. If a week or two pre-op diet can't be adhered to, what about a lifelong requirement to measure your food, eat Protein first, etc. You may or may not be ready but if you have doubts, then please resolve them before doing something irreversible.

Well the thing is, now I am starving. After surgery it will be different. Also, after surgery I was told to have a "treat" every few weeks. For instance, Pasta, etc. things will be different after surgery than they are now. Right now I have a huge stomach and I am use to eating a lot.

Sigh.

They just reduce the size of your stomach. It doesn't reduce your desire to eat crap still. It isn't magic. You still have to actually use a little will power to make it work. You have to exercise and change the way you eat forever. Not just eat, but change the way you even FEEL about eating in general. Yes, there will be times you're even hungry. If you use food comfort now and can't delay gratification, will you have the tools to deal with that post op?

Please take all that into consideration and don't just assume surgery will magically change all your bad habits with food. People figure out ways to eat around these surgeries. Otherwise we wouldn't have a 42% rate of regain.

As long as you completely understand that, you'll be fine.

My pre-op diet was 10 days, 800 or less calories. They gave me a recommended diet consisting for 3-4 Protein shakes and a Lean Cuisine meal for dinner. They said they normally never recommend frozen dinners, or anything with a label for that matter, but for this diet they did, just because it was a bit more foolproof on the calorie counting.

I had chicken tenders and fries....

I have surgery Thursday and some days I feel like I am not strong enough and I am scared. I hate that food controls my life like this.

OP- you are not the only one who has cheated and so while not trying to beat you up- you rightfully should be concerned that you may not ready. This isn't to say that perfection is required but it is to say that there are countless people who have this surgery without being equipped with the tools to handle challenges. If a week or two pre-op diet can't be adhered to, what about a lifelong requirement to measure your food, eat Protein first, etc. You may or may not be ready but if you have doubts, then please resolve them before doing something irreversible.
Well the thing is, now I am starving. After surgery it will be different. Also, after surgery I was told to have a "treat" every few weeks. For instance, Pasta, etc. things will be different after surgery than they are now. Right now I have a huge stomach and I am use to eating a lot.

Sigh.

They just reduce the size of your stomach. It doesn't reduce your desire to eat crap still. It isn't magic. You still have to actually use a little will power to make it work. You have to exercise and change the way you eat forever. Not just eat, but change the way you even FEEL about eating in general. Yes, there will be times you're even hungry. If you use food comfort now and can't delay gratification, will you have the tools to deal with that post op?

Please take all that into consideration and don't just assume surgery will magically change all your bad habits with food. People figure out ways to eat around these surgeries. Otherwise we wouldn't have a 42% rate of regain.

As long as you completely understand that, you'll be fine.

Okay. I am aware of what the surgery does, as I have been planning this surgery for a year. I will do what is right for me. I am willing to change and I want to change.... but I mean, you can't just stop wanting something because the doctor says so. If you were addicted to drugs and were told to just stop, could you? No.... it takes time, it takes support and I'm aware of this... but your "sighing" and pretty much telling me that since I cheated and ate chicken fingers and fries for dinner one night that I am not mentally capable of having a surgery is not why I am here. I am here for support.

My pre-op diet was 9 days of full liquids and then 1 day of Clear Liquids. Sucked so much. I was never full and always hungry.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Oh my goodness! Poor you.

I have to do Clear Liquids the day before, then of course nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

My pre-op diet is three shakes a day. Each shake can be traded for 3-6 egg whites with up to two cups of veggies or 3-6 oz of lean meats with up to two cups veggies. I am also allowed light sour cream, light cream cheese(not sure what they think we will eat that with), light mayo, and a few other Condiments.< /p>

I honestly have had an easy time following the diet because there is a lot of food involved, but I still have been thinking of a breadbowl Pasta from Dominos. I know that isn't something I will be eating, but the thought just hangs around. Haha

Good luck to everyone with their diets. Especially the liquid diets, that difficult for even a few days.

My pre-op diet is three shakes a day. Each shake can be traded for 3-6 egg whites with up to two cups of veggies or 3-6 oz of lean meats with up to two cups veggies. I am also allowed light sour cream, light cream cheese(not sure what they think we will eat that with), light mayo, and a few other Condiments.< /p>

I honestly have had an easy time following the diet because there is a lot of food involved, but I still have been thinking of a breadbowl Pasta from Dominos. I know that isn't something I will be eating, but the thought just hangs around. Haha

Good luck to everyone with their diets. Especially the liquid diets, that difficult for even a few days.

I have got to learn how to cook and what to cook and what to eat and what not to eat. Because honestly having such bad eating habits I feel like anything that isn't "bad" is good. Which I know it isn't. So I just need to do my research and learn how to cook healthy. I use the app My Fitness Pal as well and it doesn't really help. It kind of makes me feel bad. Like everytime I log something it's constantly telling me something is too high. Sodium, carbs, sugars, SOMETHING. Any help here??

I have got to learn how to cook and what to cook and what to eat and what not to eat. Because honestly having such bad eating habits I feel like anything that isn't "bad" is good. Which I know it isn't. So I just need to do my research and learn how to cook healthy. I use the app My Fitness Pal as well and it doesn't really help. It kind of makes me feel bad. Like everytime I log something it's constantly telling me something is too high. Sodium, carbs, sugars, SOMETHING. Any help here??

Omg I was laughing so hard I could barely read it to my HB. He asked if I wrote it. He knows how weak I am and this is exactly how I will probably do. That or he may have to move in with his mother until my surgery day because I'm sure it will be h*ll at my house. I will switch from nice to ugly on the flip of a dime. I KNOW the pre op diet is going to hard hard hard.

@@mrstkgreene

I'm giving you support by telling it like it is. Or do you want me to lie to you and tell you I don't have to actually go hungry sometimes when I would prefer to eat all day long because I'm 2 years out and my honeymoon period is over? Or I don't have to get my ass out of bed most days and exercise so the weight doesn't creep back on even when I don't want to? Or I don't have to still delay instant gratification and have chicken fingers and fries because I thought I was "starving to death"?

YOU'RE the one with the absolutly obtuse statement "Things will be different after the surgery". I'm giving you support by telling you the only thing that will be different is your stomach will be smaller and you MAY be less hungry for at least a little while. I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass because you don't want to hear the truth. Or would you prefer that?

I use a lot of weight watcher recipes, they include the serving size and all the nutritional facts in the recipes and really 95% of the recipes are really good. Some sites I use are www.skinnytaste.com and www.emilybites.com I also recently picked up a Weight watcher slow cooker magazine and many of those recipes have been great!

You really have to make food you WANT to eat so you don't feel deprived or punished for eating healthy. Healthy food can be delicious, it's a lot of trial and error. After surgery you may not be able to tolerate certain foods. My NUT advised to just try things! If it goes down good then great but if it doesn't sit well, don't eat it for a few weeks. She said a few weeks later you may be able to tolerate it.

It will be really important to measure, weigh, and track everything. Not only your food and calories but also your shakes, Water, or other fluids. I have a REALLY hard time getting to my Protein, Fluid, and calorie goals. I am almost 4 months out (sleeved 5/27) and it's a real struggle for me. I have had a bunch of complications though that threw my intake way off kilter (I wasn't able to eat or drink for over a month). I am only recently able to start to eat and drink again, it's a lot to learn and you have to listen to your stomach and work up to the higher intake. Don't push yourself.

I hope this helps at all. Good luck!

I didn't see if anyone posted this but... You really need to call your surgeon and let him know about what you ate. That was a high calorie, carb and fat meal which means the liver has to work overtime to process it. The purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink the liver so they can reach the stomach easier without your liver becoming damaged in the process. You have already eaten the food and there is no going back so don't beat yourself up. However, you do want to have the safest surgery you can without complications, so I would call the office. Better to be safe than sorry.

Life is easier post op than pre op trying to deal with that horrible pre op diet.

However, @@Babbs is right, there will be times later down the road that hunger will be a real possibility and learning how to deal with that is a part of the process. I am two years four months post op and I do have hungry times. Sometimes it is difficult to choose what is best for my body rather than what I want to eat. I work hard and have to stay very diligent to maintain my weight.

Hang in there and remember you only have one body and this surgery is a wonderful chance to get healthy!! Good luck we are all rooting for you!