Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Really Down :/

Hey everyone.

I had my gastric sleeve appt with my surgeon today and was under the impression that I could do payment plans since my insurance will not under any circumstances cover the surgery. So now I'm forced to do self pay. I have no idea where I'm gonna get $15,000. I can't even get a loan because I'm still working on my credit. My only option was to ask my grandparents because they have a lot of money and I'm praying my grandpa says yes. My grandma said she would in a heartbeat but she needs his blessing.... I'm just feeling really down. My parents can't help me because they are financially struggling as well. And I'm going to have to get a second job to pay back my grandparents if they say yes. My parents seem to think I can lose it without surgery but I have struggled with my weight since I was a kid. And no matter how much I workout or how much I diet, nothing sticks. I KNOW this will work for me. I just need some positive vibes or advice. Feeling really depressed today. I thought my appt would go better than it did. The surgeon was great, but obviously they can't move forward until I have the money. But he did say that once I pay, I only have to see their nutritionist one time, included in the price of surgery, and I could have my surgery in up to a week from now.

@@krazykristen

If I had to borrow money to have surgery, I would go to Mexico. Paying your grandparents back 6 or 7K is a lot easier than 15K

@@krazykristen

If I had to borrow money to have surgery, I would go to Mexico. Paying your grandparents back 6 or 7K is a lot easier than 15K

They make a good point. There are tons of people on here that have gone to Mexico and can recommend doctors to you! The max price I see is 6-8,000. My lap band cost 24,000 because I had a hernia repaired in surgery. My insurance only required I pay 1,200. 3 years later and I saw the real price and almost died. If it wasn't for my insurance I would have considered Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks y'all. Just not sure my family would be on board or feel comfortable with me going to Mexico for surgery. They would tell me it's silly and that I can lose weight without this surgery.... I have never wanted something so badly in my life

Thanks y'all. Just not sure my family would be on board or feel comfortable with me going to Mexico for surgery. They would tell me it's silly and that I can lose weight without this surgery.... I have never wanted something so badly in my life

Then you will find a way. A second job? Borrow from a retirement account ? Etc.....

Then you will find a way. A second job? Borrow from a retirement account ? Etc.....

You're right. I will find a way. Praying my grandparents can help but if not I'll have to bust my butt to get a second job to save money for it. Was really hoping that my insurance would cover but they won't. I've considered Mexico as a last resort, just kinda nervous about it. Thank you

UPDATE! I sat down and talked to my grandparents and they are paying for the surgery and I will pay them back! im so stoked! Now I can book my nutritionist appt and get a surgery date scheduled! I feel so blessed

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

CONGRADULATIONS!! Im having my surgery in 3 weeks and this is the second date. I was supposed to get it in july and had it pushed back so im just hoping this happens. I couldnt imagine what i would do if my insurance didnt pay. I guess i'd change insurances lol. Or just try to do it on my own. But thank goodness you got the green light! Good luck hun!

CONGRADULATIONS!! Im having my surgery in 3 weeks and this is the second date. I was supposed to get it in july and had it pushed back so im just hoping this happens. I couldnt imagine what i would do if my insurance didnt pay. I guess i'd change insurances lol. Or just try to do it on my own. But thank goodness you got the green light! Good luck hun!

Thank you so much! Im so excited! Im gonna call the doctor as soon as they open tomorrow lol

Yeah @@krazykristen that's terrific! I also borrowed money from someone close to me to pay for the surgery; we have discussed very frankly that it may take a very long time for me to pay it back, but fortunately 1) he is in no rush and 2) he knew how uncomfortable, unhappy, and defeated I felt before the surgery and while he was nervous about my getting surgery, he was happy to help me grab this chance when I had been feeling so down and so hopeless/helpless.

Anyway, yeah when you're paying out of pocket it can be a real whirlwind schedule! I went from initial consult to the operating room in two weeks. The downside of it is that you don't have much of a pre-op phase to lose some of the extra and head into post-op raring to lose more. But the upside is it gives you less time to freak out and second-guess yourself.

You'll see a wide range of stories on these boards but you'll overwhelmingly see people who feel the way I do: liberated, getting a second chance, in control, and optimistic about health, comfort, and appearance....in some cases for the first time ever.

I'm only a month post-sleeve but this has already helped so many positive changes come into my life...yes the weight loss of course, but also a general sense of possibility, control, and optimism that had been missing for so long. I hope your experience is similar...and so glad you've found a way through your grandparents to pay for it. Yay!!

UPDATE! I sat down and talked to my grandparents and they are paying for the surgery and I will pay them back! im so stoked! Now I can book my nutritionist appt and get a surgery date scheduled! I feel so blessed

Good for you! Grandparents are the best. I know mine did so many wonderful things for me growing up (even during the "adult" years of college and my man-child 20s). And it was all out of love. Yours will love watching your journey unfold because they love you. Enjoy that and spend as much time with them as you can. I miss mine everyday!

Great news, congratulations xx