Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight regain after 16 months and very worried

I had a revision from band to sleeve on 5/19/15. It has been 16 months now and I had achieved what I was expected to drop in weight. I am aware that I had not much to drop since I was only 230 pounds. I'm 6'1 in height. I had dropped down to 180 pounds and had been weighing for a while now between the 181-185 range consistently.. In the past month or so I have noticed that now I have added 7 pounds and have started to be very concerned because nothing has changed on the approach/routine in my daily life. I consume over 100grams of Protein daily, drink at least 96oz of Water, take my multi-Vitamins, do exercise (walking) for 1.5 hrs and the scale reflects a different story. Don't want to hit the panic alarm but i guess is natural to be concerned especially since nothing has changed for me personally. I know i have heard and read stories from fellow sleevers that have had to be re-sleeved due to pouch stretching/enlargement. I surely do not want to think of that especially since it has been only 16 months since I got the revision done. All my labs are normal and the surgeon did a quick swallow test (upper GI series) in his office and said that the sleeve looked good/normal. I'm supposed to be gettting an EGD done in the next few days so the surgeon can check. Any comments will be appreciated. Just feel a bit frustrated because I don't want to think or believe that wrong about the sleeve because I don't regret getting it done. It has done good to me and for me. Just want to keep on maintaining the healthy lifestyle I have.

If nothing in your routine has changed, I wouldn't think it would be due to stretching of your sleeve, since you aren't eating any more than you were before, right? Stretching of your sleeve, if there were such an issue, would be allowing you to eat more, which could cause you to gain. But you said you aren't eating more, so that's clearly not the problem.

Has your body composition changed at all? Is it possible you are gaining muscle or retaining Water?

How many calories are you eating each day? And are you sure about the amount (weighing your portions, tracking faithfully) or guesstimating?

Edited by Bufflehead

I am more hungrier and now since I'm on the maintenance phase my portions are more than before. the size of my meal is 8-10 oz. my caloric intake is in the range of 1000-1250..

I consume i say under 30g of carbs daily. My main source of food is purely Protein. Average i consume between 100-125mg daily.. For Breakfast i will have a shake ( 40-45g of protein), lunch i will have lean meats ( 30-35 grams) and for dinner the same as lunch..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are eating 1000-1250 calories a day and GAINING?!?!?!? I was eating 1400+ calories in my weight loss phase and now eat about 2200 a day in maintenance. There is definitely something wonky with your metabolism. No way it has anything to do with a stretched sleeve.

It may be Water weight since 1200 calories wouldn't cause weight gain. Also, have you had a blood test lately... To check your thyroid...Etc?

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Thyroid functions are normal

Im seeing the surgeon tomorrow. Lets see what he says. Hoping that is nothing wrong overall

Maybe i need to increase my caloric intake since you are eating over 2000 calories in the maintenance phase

Maybe i need to increase my caloric intake since you are eating over 2000 calories in the maintenance phase

Well, I am training for a marathon (this Sunday!) so I do burn a lot of calories, but not a CRAZY amount. I run twice a week during the week for about 4.5 miles and the I have a "long run" every weekend, which varies in length according to my training schedule. In all, I probably burn an extra ~3000 calories a week from my running. That works out to about 428 calories a day on average. If you are walking 1.5 hours a day, you are probably doing at least 300 calories a day. So not WAY far off from my calorie burn. Plus you are taller and heavier than me, so your resting metabolic rate should be higher than mine.

Went to surgeon today and he will do an EGD to check the sleeve completely to see if there is anything wrong. According to him all looks normal and ok and he advised that the " honeymoon " period of dropping weight quickly is over and now the maintenance phase is the new horizon for me and now the hard part begins because I need to sustain this new lifestyle. Lets see what the EGD results say..

I still feel like it has to be something metabolically wrong and not anything to do with the sleeve itself for you to be gaining weight while eating so few calories.

@@gomezk2

Your workout isn't giving you results anymore.
Someone who does the same activity all the time is likely to plateau much sooner than someone who varies their workouts. Just as you can get bored by always doing the same exercises, your body can also adapt to these exercises so that they don't offer the same benefits that they once did. A little variety might be just the thing you need to get the scale moving again or bust through that strength plateau. "Variety" means either changing something about your current routine (adding speed, distance, hills, resistance, etc.) or trying a totally different activity. If you like some consistency and don't want to change your workout each time you hit the gym, change your routine at least every 4-8 weeks (this includes incorporating changes to both your cardio and strength training exercises). This will keep your muscles challenged, your body guessing, and the results coming!

determine your target training heart rate.

change up or intensify your routine, and ensure that you're working in your target heart rate zone. Challenging your body improves your fitness level, weight loss and can also provide a sense of accomplishment as you become stronger and work toward your goals.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp

Are you eating veggies for Fiber? It will help to feel the sensation of full.

Well...I'm just at the beginnings of my weight loss, but in a conversation I had with my surgeon, he said once you hit your low, it's not uncommon to see a regain of about 10%, whos is where you're body will stay. I'd venture to guess this may be what has happened to you? Good luck!!