Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Previous 37yo Cervical Cancer patient headed to Mexico

Hey all! As I write the title, I realize it's a bit cringe-worthy! Someone that has already gone through so much bodily trauma, is going to another country for elective WLS outside the safe medical guidelines placed in the States. Sounds crazy, right?

Maybe this will help me connect with some people that have gone through the same experiences or maybe my story will help other ladies out there struggling with their weight after early on-set menopause. Let's hope!

A brief summary of my cancer story. When I was 32 (only 11 months after my previous pap) I found out I had a 7cm tumor growing in my girly bits and ended up going through 32 radiation treatments, 7 rounds of chemo, 2 cesium implants and lastly total hysterectomy.

Before cancer, my weight was 170 (BTW, I'm 5'4"), post-cancer weight I was down to 140. After recovering from my surgery, I embraced the weightloss and started exercising like a boss! But menopause hit me like a brick! I started gaining weight no matter how hard I tried. It was so disheartening and I'll admit, after trying so hard for 2 years or so. I gave up the gym.

My current weight is 215lbs. I'm in the service industry in nyc and spend 9 hours a day on my feet. With this weight gain, I'm literally limping home, my feet and ankles swelling out of my shoes. My knees and back aching. Ive developed awful insomnia and need both otc and natural sleep aids to get to sleep and when I do sleep, I snore....like really loud. Most recently, I developed acid Reflux disease which my doc associated with my obesity. I've changed my diet around and it's helped with that a lot.

After much research, I've decided to take the leap towards the Gastric Sleeve to help me regain my health both physically and mentally. I've only been overweight in my 30s. I was normal weight most of my life. So, i feel the weight gain has been harder for me to embrace mentally than the change I will experience post-surgery. My insurance will not cover bariatric surgery, so I've chosen dr. sergio verboonen and will be going to Cancun in January.

Has anyone out there gone through bariatric surgery after cancer and how have you fared? I'm so curious and would love to share stories. Also, I'm interested in joining a support group in nyc. Any New Yorkers out there?

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I'm glad you are cancer-free! Please be sure to check whether you have sleep apnea before surgery as that could be dangerous while under anesthesia. Also - sometimes reflux can worsen with the sleeve and require a revision to Bypass so be sure you have talked to the surgeon about that and make the right decision on what surgery to have. Best of luck!

Hi there! I am a breast cancer survivor who is looking into sleeve surgery in January.

I had a mastectomy and reconstruction. Followed by radiation.

My daughter is not being supportive. She thinks at 48 I've been through enough. However I want to do the surgery. I am looking into Pompeii Surgical in TJ

Journeyjen are you getting excited for surgery

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Oh believe me, I get it! I'm a breast cancer survivor, diagnosed March 2014. I had 14 major surgeries in 18 mo. Bilateral mastectomy is brutal. My last reconstructive surgery was in December. I actually think all of that made my decision for this surgery a bit easier to make. "surgery" and "anesthesia" are nothing to me, and post-op pain, recovering from anesthesia, is now something I'm used to. I know what pain meds work for me and what don't.

Your story and mine are similar. I'm also 5'4, and my current weight is 209. Pre-cancer was 175. Have you had your joints checked for arthritis? I injured my foot last spring and discovered my feet are full of chemo-induced arthritis. Since then I've found my back, my hands, even my JAW are full of arthritis!! By the end of the day my body hurts so bad. Last night my feet were the worst.

But, it is what it is. I know I can't move enough to get rid of this weight with just exercise. My cancer was estrogen-fed, with a very high risk of recurrence. I need to get rid of all sources of estrogen including fat that produces a small amount of estrogen. So here I am!!! After 7 months of meeting all the insurance requirements, I will see the doctor next week to schedule my surgery date. Hoping for the first week of December!

I'm pre-sleeve and a breast cancer survivor. I'm 45. I had lost 75 pounds prior to cancer 3 years ago. After chemo and radiation I just don't have the stamina to workout more than 30-45 minutes 2-3x's a week.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Yes, guys! So glad to finally get some feedback! I'm a little scared of everything EXCEPT the surgery itself. Ha. I've got the pain threshold of a ultimate fighter. I just want to be sure that I get the right nutrition post surgery. If anyone has a good supplemental game plan. I'm all ears.

Survivors let keep this chat going! My surgery date is Friday the 13th in January. On a full moon, no less. Haha.

Do all of you have a date? Journeyjen did you have your surgery already? I'm scheduled for Dec 7th and started my pre-op diet today. Already have a headache. blaaaaaah

My date is January 13th! I'll start my pre-diet Dec 30th.

Seeingme, how exciting! Can't wait to hear how it goes! Where are you having your surgery?

Caking0923, I'm right there with ya in Jan! Did you choose you Doc in TJ, yet?

I'm torn on my Dr choice. I'm either going with Pompeii Surgical or Mexico Bariatrics where my friend had her surgery. I was thinking about your approach tho. To go and stay in Cancun. That way I can have a real vacation while recovering. Is that still your plan?

My surgery is in Minnesota. I can't wait for this two week diet to be behind me!

That is going to be hard for me as well. But it helps with the surgery and weight loss.

Have you told anyone about your surgery? I've told my 22 year old daughter who initially gave me some grief. But I think she is coming around. I mentioned a vacation for her and she switched her mind quickly