Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did it! Got sleeved yesterday 9/2!

Well I did it. Yesterday they did the gastric sleeve operation at 7:30am.

When I arrived for checking they did some paperwork that allowed the hospital to bill my insurance, then they took me back to pre-op. In pre-op they had me strip down and put on a gown. I didn't have any valuables with me but that is when they would have taken them and put them in the safe. A gentleman came in and started the IV. Another nurse came in and was asking me about what I had to eat and drink prior to the surgery date. Then I met the nurses that would be assisting the surgeon. They gave me a shot of blood thinner to protect from blood clots. I met the anesthesia person, he asked about if I'd ever been under or if any family members had issues with anesthesia. The surgeon came in and asked if I had any questions before we got started.

They then wheeled me off to the operating room. In the OR there were several people work on getting everything ready, they hooked up to my IV, set up the heart monitor. Then anesthesia gave me something to relax. He then came over with a mask that covered my mom and nose and said he was going to give me some oxygen. Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery.

For me this was the worst part, not feeling good coming out of the anesthesia and being in pain. There was one nurse to every two people. Unfortunately the other person that my nurse was watching was being combative so he the attention of a lot of staff members. Once things started to clear up for me a bit they adjusted my pain medication to something a bit stronger. After about an hour of being awake in recovery they wheeled me off to my room.

On the way up to my room we stopped and got my family from the waiting room and they followed me up. I was pretty out of it from all the drugs they had been giving me. So I don't remember much about the day of surgery once I made it up to my room. It was mostly keeping me comfortable. They got me to the room around noon, and had me take a short walk at about 6pm. I was able to urinate for them so no need for a catheter. Yay!!! They gave me some more pain medicine and let me rest. Throughout the night someone came in about every two hours to check on me and my vitals and checking my blood sugar.

The next morning they came in and gave me another shot of blood thinner, I had been sipping Water this entire time. I got up and went for a couple walks around the floor. Had to prove I could still urinate. Then the surgeon came in and talked about the surgery and answered more questions. He gave the okay for me to be released.

I've made it home. Still in a bit of pain from one of the incisions but not the others. So far no real issues with nausea or vomiting. I feel this was the right decision for me and am excited to start this new chapter in my life. So far I'm doing good, as far as the pain, it sucks but I know each day it will get better and better. Just focusing on getting in my Water and walking as much as I can.

I'm just now laying down for the night, sure will be nice to sleep in my own bed.

Thank you for this detailed description of your experience. My surgery is scheduled for September 28, so hearing about what happened to you gives me a better idea of what will happen to me.

Best wishes as you continue your weight loss journey!!

Good for you! My surgery was 5 days ago and I feel really good. At this point the only "pain" I have is from the one larger incision site in the middle of my abdomen. Maybe an occasional muscle pain, but otherwise the pain and discomfort you have now gets more comfortable in just a few days. Try getting as much of your Fluid and Protein in as you can. It will be a challenge to hit the numbers they told you! Keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by SamPSUfan

The pain from my large incision is quite the kicker. Every time I stand up or try to roll over it hurts like crazy. But so far today has been better than yesterday. Here's looking forward to tomorrow!

Congrats :). I had my revision to sleeve on 9/2 as well. It was done outpatient, surgery early in the morning, released at 4 pm. First day was miserable for me though, slept through day 2, & day 3 has been great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Day 3 is in the books.

Woke up this morning feeling pretty good. Stood up out of bed and coughed once. Then the pain was ON from my large incision. Not quite as bad as yesterday. Wife gave me my shot of blood thinner, that still stings a bit. Water is going down easier today, in total I got down 40oz of fluids including a few ounces of Protein shakes. Still need to work on getting in the Protein as well as a bit more Water.

Feeling pretty good I thought I'd walk to the mailbox about a block away. That was a little much and I was hurting pretty bad by the time I got back. The rest of the day I just focused on sip sip sip and tried not to agitate my sore spot. Had a couple coughs through the day usually right after using my incentive spirometer. Those coughs caused quite a bit of pain. Staying ahead of it with my pain medicine is helping.

Getting back into bed wasn't nearly as painful as it has been the last few days. Checking my blood sugar and blood pressure often. Both are staying in a normal range without the use of medication. It's like the surgery just flipped a switch. So far I am very pleased with my decision and am looking forward to getting to the point where I can have real food. I plan on working that sleeve for all its worth. There are some awesome recipes for sleevers here on the forums and on YouTube. I'm ready for small but nutritious meals to fill me up and watch the weight melt away.

Looking forward to what tomorrow has to bring for my recovery!

Day 3 is in the books.< /p>

Woke up this morning feeling pretty good. Stood up out of bed and coughed once. Then the pain was ON from my large incision. Not quite as bad as yesterday. Wife gave me my shot of blood thinner, that still stings a bit. Water is going down easier today, in total I got down 40oz of fluids including a few ounces of Protein shakes. Still need to work on getting in the Protein as well as a bit more Water.

Feeling pretty good I thought I'd walk to the mailbox about a block away. That was a little much and I was hurting pretty bad by the time I got back. The rest of the day I just focused on sip sip sip and tried not to agitate my sore spot. Had a couple coughs through the day usually right after using my incentive spirometer. Those coughs caused quite a bit of pain. Staying ahead of it with my pain medicine is helping.

Getting back into bed wasn't nearly as painful as it has been the last few days. Checking my blood sugar and blood pressure often. Both are staying in a normal range without the use of medication. It's like the surgery just flipped a switch. So far I am very pleased with my decision and am looking forward to getting to the point where I can have real food. I plan on working that sleeve for all its worth. There are some awesome recipes for sleevers here on the forums and on YouTube. I'm ready for small but nutritious meals to fill me up and watch the weight melt away.

Looking forward to what tomorrow has to bring for my recovery!

Great update! I'm glad things are getting better. For what it's worth, today was day 6 for me and I had virtually no pain at all. Not even from the incision. Walked quite a bit today. Things turn a big corner right around the 5-6 day mark. Hopefully you experience the same!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm going for my surgery soon, it was great to read your post.

I worry about waking up from the anesthesia and being in and out, not having a clear head.

Hope the pain eases for you.

Day 4 is done, a little more Water down, actually got in 45oz of Water and half a Protein shake. Did a lot of walking, well, pacing in the living room and hallway. The pain is getting better, the large incision still hurts some.

The nurse from the surgeons office checked in on me. She said my large incision is where most of the action was during my surgery, and that there are actually some stitches in there closing everything up, so that pulling sensation when I cough or go from sitting to sanding is more than likely the stitches that I can't see. She went on to verify I was having my pain managed, was walking and getting in fluids. Wanted to make sure the gas was coming out and wasn't giving me any pain. Morning temperature, blood pressure and blood sugar we're fine, I have noticed terrible dry mouth in the mornings. I haven't taken blood pressure medicine since the day of surgery or metformin since the beginning of the pre-op liquid diet. In the evening everything was good but my blood sugar had dropped to 90. That's pretty low for me so I'll be keeping a closer watch on that today.

Today my goal is to get in 64oz of water, at least one whole Protein Shake, do a lot of walking, and try to go to the movies with my wife. Our theater has comfy recliners and I don't expect anyone to be there during the day so if I need to stand up and walk around a bit I can.

Edited by #BirdDog

It sounds like everything is going great! I too have woken up with dry/sour mouth this morning. How are you managing the walking? I am scared to pop/rip something!! I have walked around my room but mostly I lay down go to the rest room sit up etc. should I be walking more? Large stitch is the worst!

I was told to steadily increase my walking. The afternoon of my surgery they had me up and walking. Walked from my room and did one lap around the floor I was on, said hi to the nurses at the nurse's station. Then later when my wife got back we took another walk. Two laps that time. Now that I'm home, I get up every hour or two and walk around inside the house. Mostly pacing between the living room and kitchen. Or if I'm upstairs from the bedroom down the hall. I walk for 20 to 30 minutes each time. A couple days ago I tried to walk to the mailbox about a block away. I was in a fair amount of pain by the time I got back. Just doing my best to keep the blood flowing, don't want to get clots.

Edited by #BirdDog

My surgery is scheduled for 9/27, any Memphis Tennessee sleevers out there?

Bad form. May get more views and responses if you start your own thread. ;)