Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did it! Got sleeved yesterday 9/2!

Day 5, getting better every day. Today I finally got in a decent amount of fluids 60oz so far. Still not much Protein, but I'm working on that. Got some Isopure drinks today, those should help. Did a little pacing in the house. Then around noon my wife and I went and saw a movie at the theater, I got a 20oz Water for $5 and sipped on that throughout the movie. Luckily our local theater has some comfy recliners so I wasn't in pain at all during the movie. Except for the occasional laugh, that smarted a little. Came back home and I rested for a bit, then we headed off to GNC for some Isopure drinks and non-flavored Protein powder. We also hit the grocery store. Since my surgeon allows strained Soups at this point I picked up some Tomato Soup. Once we got home, my wife warmed up a quarter cup of it and I worked on that with a baby spoon. That little bit of Soup was plenty. No pain and it didn't try to come back up. So all went well with that. Sure felt nice to get something other than Water in the system. Oh and in other big news, had my first bowel movement since September 1st. Good to know everything is still working.

My wife has been a angel throughout this process, I have no idea how people get through this alone. If you are going through this alone or have already done it my hats off to you, you are obviously tougher than I. I would be lost and in a lot more pain than I am now. She is doing everything she can to make sure I'm comfortable and doing everything she can to keep me from injuring myself where they operated.

Goal for tomorrow is to get in my recommended amount of water and my Protein. Oh and walk walk walk. These shots of blood thinner are getting old. :(

What a crazy night of dreams... Dreamed that I ate three slices of pizza and tore open my sleeve. Then that I caught a couple rodents and this guy was cooking them up. That was disgusting. There were others but I just can't remember them off the top of my head. Woke up about a half dozen times last night with weird dreams most of them involved food in some way.

My first post and wanted to say thanks. Having never had surgery I've been really stressing my upcoming date of 09/29. I know the benefits of going through with it are going to far outweigh the few days of discomfort. One thing I'm worried about and intend to ask the Dr during my class coming up is about a catheter. Did you have one at all? I'd rather leave that part of me alone.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My first post and wanted to say thanks. Having never had surgery I've been really stressing my upcoming date of 09/29. I know the benefits of going through with it are going to far outweigh the few days of discomfort. One thing I'm worried about and intend to ask the Dr during my class coming up is about a catheter. Did you have one at all? I'd rather leave that part of me alone.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I did not have a catheter. At one point they came into my room saying it had been at least 12 hours since I last urinated and they were saying if it didn't happen soon they would be giving me one. I went, so no catheter for me. I watched one YouTube video where the gentleman said they gave him one once he was under and removed it before he woke up.

Day 6, got a full 64+oz of liquids in today. That included an Isopure drink that was 40g of Protein. I had another quarter cup of Tomato Soup. My wife wanted to go to some antique stores so we went and strolled around a few of them. Got in quite a bit of walking. The pain wasn't nearly as bad as it has been, at one point today I had gone almost 9 hours without pain meds, but my dog put an end to that. He's been pretty bummed that I wouldn't let him lay on me while I was in my recliner. So he decided to just jump up there. Landed right on the large incision. Good thing he's just a Chihuahua but still hurt like a bugger, gave in and took some pain medicine. No leakage or anything from the wound so all seems to be well. Just hurt quite a bit there for a while. Blood pressure and blood sugar are still not being treated with medication and are both well within the normal range. I'm really happy to be off of some of the pills and am excited to come off the rest.

Today was the first time I got a little depressed and was questioning what I had done to myself. After a quick pep talk from my wife and a review of my lists, I was good to go. Come to think of it I don't think I've shared my lists with you guys. Basically I have a list of the pros/cons or having the surgery and a list of things I want to accomplish that losing the weight will allow me to do. I keep them with me and it's a good motivator when I'm down. Anywho, here's to tomorrow being as good or better than today

If I was to describe my surgery experience I would say it was a very positive experience. I arrived and had a very sweet nurse to help me , then the anesthesiologist asked me questions , they gave me the blood thinner shots , and my nurse stayed with me until my doctor came in and asked me if I was ready? Let's do it? I said ok and I remember waking up in my room. Open my eyes and there was no pain :-) the nurse said to me. Every time you wake up push this bottom to release the meds for pain. So I was pain free. Went home on day 3 with very little uncomfortable feeling on my belly. Very Excellente experience I have had and I am sure it has to do witht Doctor and its team. All of them are very caring.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Day 7, the pain was a bit better, coughing still hurt but not nearly as bad as it had been. Getting into and out of bed wasn't too bad either. My wife had a horseback riding lesson so I went along and walked around the barn and arena with her. Got in all of my liquids yesterday but was still shy of my Protein goals by about 40g. The Isopure drinks are starting to get a little easier to stomach. Still taking it slow and trying to let my body heal.

I had a 1/4 cup of Tomato Soup again. Since my medications have to be crushed I put them in some sugar free pudding. Still awful but tolerable. I haven't had Jello since before my surgery, decided to give some a try. Went down fine and I was able to stomach it alright. Problem with Jello was I ate a little too much too fast and ended up in pain. It subsided within 20 minutes or so. Now I know I can't eat any more than half of the cup of jello.

Blood thinner shots still suck. No way around that though. I'm certainly ready to start the purée stage. Hopefully on the 14th. We'll see what doc says. Until then, liquids and Protein Drinks.

Last night I only took half of a dose of pain medicine and I slept through the entire night. That's progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Day 6, got a full 64+oz of liquids in today. That included an Isopure drink that was 40g of Protein. I had another quarter cup of Tomato Soup. My wife wanted to go to some antique stores so we went and strolled around a few of them. Got in quite a bit of walking. The pain wasn't nearly as bad as it has been, at one point today I had gone almost 9 hours without pain meds, but my dog put an end to that. He's been pretty bummed that I wouldn't let him lay on me while I was in my recliner. So he decided to just jump up there. Landed right on the large incision. Good thing he's just a Chihuahua but still hurt like a bugger, gave in and took some pain medicine. No leakage or anything from the wound so all seems to be well. Just hurt quite a bit there for a while. Blood pressure and blood sugar are still not being treated with medication and are both well within the normal range. I'm really happy to be off of some of the pills and am excited to come off the rest.

Today was the first time I got a little depressed and was questioning what I had done to myself. After a quick pep talk from my wife and a review of my lists, I was good to go. Come to think of it I don't think I've shared my lists with you guys. Basically I have a list of the pros/cons or having the surgery and a list of things I want to accomplish that losing the weight will allow me to do. I keep them with me and it's a good motivator when I'm down. Anywho, here's to tomorrow being as good or better than today

I have started a list of things I want to do/ will be able to do after losing weight and feeling better...I never thought of carrying it with me for when I need a lift...I will b doing that now. I am still getting my pre reqs done and meet with the surgeon again on OCT 4th.

Thank you for sharing your journey!! Cant wait to see how well this works for you!!!

Day 8, I woke up feeling pretty good, which is surprising because I didn't take pain medicine last night. Got a shower and got dressed, with limited help from my wife. Had my medications crushed up and put into some sugar free pudding. Ate about half the serving of pudding. We then went out and took care of some errands. Since I hadn't taken any pain medicine I decided to drive. Stopped at the state surplus store, then an army surplus store, Bass Pro, and finally a grocery store. By the time we made it home I was pretty tired and a little sore. So I took half a dose of my medicine and relaxed the rest of the evening. Got in an easy 64+oz of liquid and 40g of Protein. Tomorrow I'm shooting for 80g of Protein. Hopefully that will help a bit with my energy.

Finally today I started to feel human again. I was sore but not in a lot of pain. Looking forward to what tomorrow holds. May even make it to church service.

I forgot to mention, my watch slid down my arm today and rotated. Had to cinch it up a notch! Seems silly but it was a big deal to me.

Edited by #BirdDog

Thank you for sharing all this... It sounds like you are doing great.

And kudos to you and your wife. It sounds like you married a great woman.

Good luck going forward - I'm eager to follow how you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Day 9, not much of a day, I was feeling a little depressed. Nothing in particular, just feeling a little down. Went out to the sporting goods store, then took my wife to the grocery store for some things she forgot yesterday. Came home and did a lot of reading and relaxing with my puppy. Still not feeling 100% as bedtime rolled around, we were doing the ritual of getting my blood thinner shot, blood pressure, blood sugar, and incentive spirometer. Blood sugar came up just a point low at 79. May have had something to do with feeling a little off today. Having a little bit of a sugary drink and turning in for the night. No pain today, just mild discomfort if I moved a certain way. Tried some strained cream of chicken Soup, didn't set well with my system. Kept it down but will be waiting a while before I try that again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro