Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre/Post Surgical Plans Are Not Required

That's just the way it goes down in the BP and I'm sure many other support sites you will quickly learn. I guess when you're new you're feeling your way through and genuinely looking for support and meaningful advice. I guess some of us who are a little soft weren't prepared for the abrasiveness of some of the "vets" who probably have become numb to the naivety of the questions that are in obvious contradiction to their surgeons guidelines and are just about getting to the business of why you got here in the first place and how reintroducing those bad habits could cause you to complain about stalls or plain old not LOSING.

Then there are the newbies who have the fear of god in them after surgery and come here for support only to find people enjoying Bacon 3 days post op, Alcohol 2 weeks post op, and whatever else they good and well please causing you to take a step back and say-- well they lived to tell about it maybe it's not that BAD-- poor choice? Hell's yeah but life or death not so much.

So then you find that happy medium with all that you know. Your research+ your surgeons guidelines + your desire to be successful and recognize patterns that landed you to require surgery to lose weight in the first place then-- actively ignore those who get under your skin with their abrasiveness and sarcasm. Actively ignore posts or topics that you know will go left just based on the title "crackers" "Cheez its" or "Alcohol". Or drop your 2 cents but sashay past the comments where someone might be being a little harsh towards a perfect stranger and just filter past the BULL S H I T. We all have our journey. Some of us will be successful, some of us won't. Some of us will get there despite NOT following all guidelines to the letter, some of us will get there doing everything perfectly what matters is LONG term success.

I may not like the overall tones and delivery of some members but I think at the end of the day they mean well. You should look at their successes and regard their opinion like it or not as principles to at least consider. With some of the foolishness I see as posted as topics the more I understand the vets by and bye.

Edited by Candygyrl

My two cents is people should be ready for a true lifestyle change with WLS .

Long term success means changing some bad habits and incorporating new ones... Just my take.

It personally took me YEARS to finally adjust to a new way of thinking about food. And I still work on my Protein, Water and exercise every week.

I wish success for all.

It seems elusive to some. And for whatever reason WLS does not work for all.

I don't think it's the WLS that doesn't work ... ;)

b145eddc58979676ba1bd10836367f80.jpg

My nut appointments are in a group setting and I am amazed at how many participants show up with fast food milkshakes or Starbucks. I had to listen to a guy tell me that eating a 12 in Subway sandwich for both lunch and dinner is healthy and that it is his morning Protein shake and apple that is causing him to not loose weight. There are 10 people in my group and only 2 of us are on track with the program, most of them end up having to get extensions on their programs or they drop out.

Insurance pays for the entire surgery and they are not excited to drop a ton of money on someone who is not going to make the most of it and make the lifestyle changes they need. Surgery is a gift, it is a tool, and a big responsibility, it is not a quick fix.

I have heard so many complain about having to loose a set amount weight before they have surgery, some people can not loose weight even with surgery and a good indicator that surgery may not be the best option is to have a patient be in a 6 month program to loose a set amount of weight. If they are unable to loose weight with diet and exercise then they may not loose any weight with surgery and that would be a lot of money and pain for nothing.

Many people refuse to see the big picture and are stuck in their own heads.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Great point! Perhaps if people were more compliant with their post surgical plans and most likely, more successful, the insurance companies would be more willing to pay for WLS as a rule instead of as an exception.

My BFF's husband works for a medical supply company. He goes to hospitals and sells/trains buyers on equipment like airbeds, lift scales, maximum duty wheelchairs -- all made for the super morbidly obese.

His medical insurance won't cover WLS because the cost doesn't justify the results. Seriously, WTF!?!?

I haven't been here long but both times another poster has gone bitchy about one of my comments it was because I advocated pre op education...oops! So sorry that being an educated well informed consumer of medical care puts you out... fat people don't like to wait for gratification, it's why we are FAT. You've probably been fat for 10 years waiting 6 more months while getting some insight and tools for success isn't going to kill you...actually it might save your life.

Ok. I feel better now.

@Aggiemae

Two users disagreed with you about pre-op waiting times and here you are whining about it on another thread. Being a little bit passive-aggressive here, huh?

Get over it.

*plonk*

Visits the thread. My cousin on public assistance got approved.

@Aggiemae

Two users disagreed with you about pre-op waiting times and here you are whining about it on another thread. Being a little bit passive-aggressive here, huh?

Get over it.

*plonk*

Proving what a bitching you are by stalking me here is a crazy.

Where are those links to research proving that pre op education doesn't effect out come? Maybe you can pull one out of your butt?

Want to eat tacos 1 week post surgery?

Want to drink copious amount of alcohol a week or two after surgery or smoke joints a day before surgery?

In fact you can do anything you want to, because tens of thousands bariatric surgeons, nutritionists and nurses must all be wrong!

Just post something you know you shouldn't be doing, related to WLS, and wait until someone with no medical experience tells you it is ok to do so and ignore the other 99% of the posts that tell you that you shouldn't do that.

If everyone else is offering sound medical advice that was expressed from their WLS medical staff or information they obtained from reputable sources like the ASMBS, JAMA, etc., just remember you can prove Darwin was correct and that:

Going-to-do-whatever-I-want.jpg

Rant over. (Microphone dropped).

my thoughts exactly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Can I just say that the tough love/"you're a farking idiot for eating that!!!" posts are actually extremely helpful. I am just shy of 3 weeks post-op, and I went to a renaissance festival this past weekend. It was pretty much a torture fest, which had nothing to do with it being barbarian weekend. The pretzels covered in parmesan cheese and garlic were calling to me. The pickles in a barrel were begging for my attention. The turkey legs were trying to jump into my fists. And I did think "why not? What about these other bozos eating Swedish fish, pork chops, grilled cheese sandwiches, and tortilla chips. They ate them and were 'just fine'". But then the tough love posts went through my mind, and I thought of y'all laying out the potentially dire consequences. Plus the effects it could have on my long term success. I decided being 3.5 hours from home and my surgeon with a 13 year old in tow was not a good time to experiment with bread or seeds or smores on a stick or hunks of hastily inhaled Turkey leg. Instead, I ate some tuna fish I'd brought with me and some applesauce. I'm not sure I would have made those same choices if all I'd seen was people telling the posters that it was okay and better luck tomorrow when they made majorly bad choices. So, thanks for the tough love. Y'all helped at least one person not make dumb choices!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

Can I just say that the tough love/"you're a farking idiot for eating that!!!" posts are actually extremely helpful. I am just shy of 3 weeks post-op, and I went to a renaissance festival this past weekend. It was pretty much a torture fest, which had nothing to do with it being barbarian weekend. The pretzels covered in parmesan cheese and garlic were calling to me. The pickles in a barrel were begging for my attention. The turkey legs were trying to jump into my fists. And I did think "why not? What about these other bozos eating Swedish fish, pork chops, grilled cheese sandwiches, and tortilla chips. They ate them and were 'just fine'". But then the tough love posts went through my mind, and I thought of y'all laying out the potentially dire consequences. Plus the effects it could have on my long term success. I decided being 3.5 hours from home and my surgeon with a 13 year old in tow was not a good time to experiment with bread or seeds or smores on a stick or hunks of hastily inhaled Turkey leg. Instead, I ate some tuna fish I'd brought with me and some applesauce. I'm not sure I would have made those same choices if all I'd seen was people telling the posters that it was okay and better luck tomorrow when they made majorly bad choices. So, thanks for the tough love. Y'all helped at least one person not make dumb choices!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

Come over here so I can kiss your face. :blush: :blush: